• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Should I buy an Eco-Diesel?

PedroB

Nov 25, 2020
Truck Year
Not Listed
Hi i'm looking for some objective input. Being a Ram Eco-Diesel forum I realize that may be a big ask but I figure this is the best place to start.
I am in the market for a pickup as a daily driver and to do general work around the yard and to haul my boat (around 5000 pounds). I commute about 15 miles to work but also travel a fair bit for work. I've narrowed my search down to either a Ram Eco-Diesel or a Honda Ridgeline. I know they are very different vehicles but both will meet all my requirements. The Ram is a 2017 Quad Cab 4x4 with 90,000Km (55,000 miles) with the Rambox (which is a real selling point for me). I have had a number of Honda's so i am pretty comfortable with the reliabilty and its ability to haul my trailer etc. I know that the Ram will get better fuel economy and will have no issues hauling my boat etc but i am really wondering about reliability. Of course, if i do a search i can find lots of complaints about EGR issues etc but the internet (and car forums in particular) tends to make major issues out of minor or rare problems.
Should i be afraid of the Ram reliability?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Its not Ram reliability, its VM Motori of Cento Italy. The 2017 Does Not have AEM warranty so its your problem and cost at 100K Miles or 5 years. They seem to do OK in HWY use, mixed use and you will have problems. Its very timely and costly to Own VM products when they fail.

bill-e

May 2, 2015
Truck Year
I traded in my 2006 Ridgeline for my '15 EcoD and while I loved my Ridgeline and missed the swinging tailgate (until I got my 2020) I don't regret it. I upgraded to a real truck because I wanted a bigger camper.

I towed with my Ridgeline, about 4500lbs and I got about 8-9mpg with it. I now tow 7000+ lbs and get between 13-15mpg.

The Ridgeline is an SUV which can be used as a truck and the Ram is a truck which doubles as an SUV. They are both comfortable to drive. They both do well in snow. Depending on the Ram model the truck can be more luxurious than the Honda.

I drove my '15 in mixed driving leaning more towards rural driving than highway and I did not experience any issues with it other that the performance hit when I got the AEM (which you wont have)

Make sure the EGR cooler recall has been accomplished prior to buying the Ram.

Like any modern diesel the Emissions stuff can be problematic and expensive to fix so an Extended Warranty is recommended.

With my experience I would not hesitate to buy an EcoD provided I could get a good total package cost including the extended warranty but that is mostly because I'm risk adverse. I did not use my warranty at all on my '15 and traded it at 55k miles.

Like I said I loved my original model Ridgeline, loved the way it rode and looked, traded it in at 90kmiles and would love to pick up a sharp looking old body style for a third vehicle.

Buy what makes you happy.

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
I bought my 2014 in 2018 with 113k on it. I’ve put 36k on mine with my last 12k tuned. So far I have only had a glow plug issue shortly after buying. Previous owner did the egr and intake at the dealer at 109k. I cannot speak to if my tone wheel has been replaced yet or not, nor if the block is original or replaced. Thing tows like a champ, selling point for me was diesel in a 1/2 ton ride. Now looking back, if I had done any sort of research I would have gone with a 2500 gas rig since cummins would have been out of my budget. But I bought it and I own it and I love it. No def related issues yet but my egr had started leaking again around 130k so I tuned and never looked back.

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
If you are looking for a low maintenance (fuel, oil, drive) type of vehicle the Ridgeline is for you. If you like to tinker/repair/modify, and maintain the ecodiesel might be your ticket. Read around this forum for engine tunes, if that is something you are comfortable with you will enjoy the RAM

Dougeco

Nov 7, 2020
Truck Year
Not Listed
OP:
Are you seriously thinking of towing a 5,000 boat with a Ridgeline? I would NOT tow a 5,000 boat with a Ridgeline. I just glanced at the specs for a Ridgeline (https://owners.honda.com/vehicles/information/2020/Ridgeline/specs#mid^YK2F5LJNW) and here is what I think:

1. A standard Ridgeline in 2wd trim has a maximum tow capacity of only 3,500 lbs. Make sure you get an AWD and the options needed to get it to 5,000 lbs. Even so, you will be at the limit of the Ridgeline's capacity.

2. Do you know FOR SURE that your estimated weight of 5000 pounds for the boat and trailer is accurate? Does it include the real weight of the trailer, all the stuff and gear that goes with you on a cruise, fishing equipment, clothing, fresh water, food, boat fuel and anything else that is normally aboard when trailering? To make sure, I strongly suggest you get the fully loaded boat and trailer weighed at a CAT scale to make sure, since you may be right at the top line for the Ridgeline.

3. Are you aware that the absolute maximum cargo capacity of the Ridgeline is just 1452 pounds? And that capacity number goes down from there? I would suspect that real world cargo weight capacity is only 75% of that 1452 depending on how it is optioned out. Look at the capacity plate for the Ridgeline you might buy to know that number for the specific one you buy.

4. Your trailer's tongue weight should be between 10 and 15% of the fully loaded trailer (500 to 750 pounds). That's a lot. Assuming the 1452 capacity is right, and the tongue weight is only 600 pounds you can only load another 850 pounds of people and luggage in the Ridgeline. That leaves you with only 50 pounds if you've got 4 good size adults in the Ridgeline!

5. I would also take a very close look at the fine print in the Ridgeline's ratings, I bet there is a limit on the size of the frontal area of the towed vehicle. This would be an issue if you are towing a wide fronted pontoon boat with lots of frontal "sail" area.

I believe that with the Ridgeline you will be riding right at the limits for both trailer weight and payload weight. Even if you are just under those numbers, I don't think that you will find this to be much fun if you have to drive this rig for a several hour long trip, or if you have to do it frequently.

PedroB

Nov 25, 2020
Truck Year
Not Listed
Thanks guys for all the input on the eco-diesel. I was looking for some feedback on reliability and between the answers here and speaking with friends i have made the decision to go with the Honda as it does everything i will need without reliability concerns. Yes the Ram does tow more, higher payload etc but again the smaller truck does all that i need it to do AND fits easily in my garage with my wife's SUV.

Dougeco, Yes it is an AWD - that's all we get up here in Canada. Thanks for the lesson in towing and the advice on towing with a Honda after having a quick glance at the specs. It was great to get some unsolicited expert advice on a question that i did not ask. I have only spent the past 30+ years towing boats and travel travel trailers with everything from a small cars to 3/4 ton pickups. In fact, i had a similar sized boat that i towed with a Honda Pilot for about 4 years and it did a great job of towing but what would i know. I can only assume that you've done a lot of towing with your Ridgeline. I have no doubt that the Eco-Diesel would tow more, tow better and tow more efficiently, but if you spent the time to read my original post i was looking for some owner's experience on reliability. I was NOT looking for a diatribe on how to calculate the towing capacity on a Ridgeline..