• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Spun Bearing and Rebuilding

The Cam Beck

Jul 10, 2019
Truck Year
Hello all. Back in November 2019 my EcoDiesel spun a bearing @ 183*** miles. It was a very sad day to say the least. Its been sitting since then because of life events, building a house and getting married, but now I (we) are looking at rebuilding and "bulletproofing" the truck for longevity. The truck will be used mostly for pulling a 16ft landscape trailer, pull behind camper, and weekend use.

So the question is, what is your list to for rebuilding and bulletproofing?

From what I have I read and looked at so far this is the list I have come up with :

• Tune and full delete w/ 3" straight pipe
  • New Turbo
  • Banks High Flow intake
  • Throttle Valve Delete
  • Upgraded Intercooler w/ piping
  • Oil cooler
  • Catch Can
  • Trans Tune
  • S & B Air Filter
  • Upgraded Trans Pan
Is an upgraded turbo worth it?
Is a compound system worth it ?
Thoughts and concerns ?

Last edited:

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
Hello all. Back in November 2019 my EcoDiesel spun a bearing @ 183*** miles. It was a very sad day to say the least. Its been sitting since then because of life events, building a house and getting married, but now I (we) are looking at rebuilding and "bulletproofing" the truck for longevity. The truck will be used mostly for pulling a 16ft landscape trailer, pull behind camper, and weekend use.

So the question is, what is your list to for rebuilding and bulletproofing?

From what I have I read and looked at so far this is the list I have come up with :

• Tune and full delete w/ 3" straight pipe
  • New Turbo
  • Banks High Flow intake
  • Throttle Valve Delete
  • Upgraded Intercooler w/ piping
  • Oil cooler
  • Catch Can
  • Trans Tune
  • S & B Air Filter
  • Upgraded Trans Pan
Is an upgraded turbo worth it?
Is a compound system worth it ?
Thoughts and concerns ?
Looks like a list that I used to get when someone brought an engine into my shop for rebuild.

Depending on where you live, emissions test or not, your delete with straight pipe will not work, however if possible will require computer tune. This has limited options.

New turbo, from what I have seen online there are no larger turbos that will work with your ECM for variable vane, would require a tune. If your turbo is simply fried Dales Superstore advertises a new factory turbo for a very reasonable price. No tune required. Which brings me to your compound system, I have not seen one yet, but would require tune.

I am presently running an external oil cooler with remote oil filter, two filters one stock and one external, it does not work as promised and I will be going back to stock and installing a colder opening thermostat in the near future. The cooler thermostat requires a tune.

Banks Intake eliminates the Swirl Valve and the EGR, both very desirable, would definitely require a tune. I have been tossing around this idea for a little while myself except machining for the EGR which would allow me to work around the swirl valve instead of a tune.

Transmission tune works better than expected, highly recommend. Engine tune and transmission tune to stock engine is available from Green Diesel Engineering and I have it on my RAM and my wife's JEEP and like the extra HP and Torque as well as better fuel mileage.

Improved Intercooler would be great, I have looked at that as well. eXtreme Diesel Products offers stock to impressively different from $138 to $1600.

Search the aftermarket for hard engine parts vs. OEM, better prices and availability.

Any increase in transmission fluid capacity is a good thing, along with the OEM plastic pan has the filter built in so is a throw away during filter change. A larger volume aluminum pan normally has a separate filter. Good idea.

I am ambivalent on Catch Can, I have one on my wife's JEEP and I get about one or two ounces of oil at an oil change, 10K miles, so I am sure as to the true benefit. Both our vehicles do a lot of highway time so I feel like we get rid of the crankcase emissions during normal operation.

Use a reputable machine shop for any services, crank grinding, rod resizing or replace all six, valve job, bore & hone, etc.
Good Luck.