• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Stock to something more

Para0203

May 16, 2019
Truck Year
Amigos,
I’ve got a 2015 Ram ED with 89k miles. I haven’t done a thing to it aside from a leveling kit—the drive train et al is completely stock. I have been diligent with maintenance and never had an issue with it. Still, I am looking to mod my engine for better fuel efficiency, power, and over health for the motor.

So, how do you all recommend going about this? Deletes, or a GDE tune, or both, or nothing....hell, I don’t even know the difference between Stage 1 and 2... Is there an ideal step-by-step process?

Your assistance and guidance is much appreciated.

Sf/ Frank

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
Because of the price and people raving about it I would recommend you look at www.sofakingtuned.com (so glad they changed the URL). They offer an ECM and transmission tune at a great price.

89k miles - that EGR diffuser tube, MAP sensor and intake are going to be plenty filthy. Clean the first two but leave the intake alone unless you can spare the 2k $ to pull it and clean / replace it. Don't try to clean the intake on the engine.

I don't know when your 5 year / 100k miles runs out but I would not delete until then. With the number of eco's crapping out I would ride that warranty to the bitter end, including the extended warranty with the AEM settlement, because it covers the turbo and the dreaded turbo coolant hose pipe. Once you run out of warranty I would delete the EGR and install a turbo back straight pipe.

If the engine in the 2020 eco is that much better and you can handle the $, I would think about doing an engine swap and off road tuning it. I am seriously considering this if the engine is that much better.

Show us a picture!

Last edited:

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
itook every thing off at under 2000 miles runs great if it ends most problems what do u need warranty for deleted my 2011 Cummins at 200 miles has not been to the dealer ever every other one I know was back every other week for bad sensors and wiring harneses

Para0203

May 16, 2019
Truck Year
Because of the price and people raving about it I would recommend you look at www.sofakingtuned.com (so glad they changed the URL). They offer an ECM and transmission tune at a great price.

89k miles - that EGR diffuser tube, MAP sensor and intake are going to be plenty filthy. Clean the first two but leave the intake alone unless you can spare the 2k $ to pull it and clean / replace it. Don't try to clean the intake on the engine.

I don't know when your 5 year / 100k miles runs out but I would not delete until then. With the number of eco's crapping out I would ride that warranty to the bitter end, including the extended warranty with the AEM settlement, because it covers the turbo and the dreaded turbo coolant hose pipe. Once you run out of warranty I would delete the EGR and install a turbo back straight pipe.

If the engine in the 2020 eco is that much better and you can handle the $, I would think about doing an engine swap and off road tuning it. I am seriously considering this if the engine is that much better.

Show us a picture!

How exactly does the ECM work? As I understand, the ECM essentially turns off the EGR so soot doesn’t get entered into the engine. If so, what happens inside the stack exhaust? Does urea continue to get shot into the exhaust? I assume soot will build up faster requiring more urea...

Do you recommend doing the ECU and the TCM at the same time? I checked out SKT...not sure what I’m looking for so I emailed them. Also, how-to videos are few on YouTube.

A thousand thanks, sir!

Best, Frank

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
One thing is turning off the EGR, so that means your EGR cooler is no longer heat cycling and no longer so prone to failure. Not pumping all that exhaust back into your intake is very good for your truck. It keeps the MAP sensor and intake clean. All important things and it also improves your mileage. There are other settings it improves like less turbo lag. Really, call the guys at Sofa King, they will step you through all their tune does. And sure! They have a bargain on the ECM and TCM tune bundle so by all means do it!

Green Diesel

Nov 17, 2015
Truck Year
How exactly does the ECM work? As I understand, the ECM essentially turns off the EGR so soot doesn’t get entered into the engine. If so, what happens inside the stack exhaust? Does urea continue to get shot into the exhaust? I assume soot will build up faster requiring more urea...

Do you recommend doing the ECU and the TCM at the same time? I checked out SKT...not sure what I’m looking for so I emailed them. Also, how-to videos are few on YouTube.

A thousand thanks, sir!

Best, Frank

You might want to call Green Diesel Engineering if wanting to better understand how tuning will affect the powertrain. We have much more experience on these engines than anyone else out there.

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
you get what u paid for !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!put your hot tune on my eco runs better than ever

Para0203

May 16, 2019
Truck Year
You might want to call Green Diesel Engineering if wanting to better understand how tuning will affect the powertrain. We have much more experience on these engines than anyone else out there.
Amigos,
I’ve got a 2015 Ram ED with 89k miles. I haven’t done a thing to it aside from a leveling kit—the drive train et al is completely stock. I have been diligent with maintenance and never had an issue with it. Still, I am looking to mod my engine for better fuel efficiency, power, and over health for the motor.

So, how do you all recommend going about this? Deletes, or a GDE tune, or both, or nothing....hell, I don’t even know the difference between Stage 1 and 2... Is there an ideal step-by-step process?

Your assistance and guidance is much appreciated.

Sf/ Frank

Completely subjective question but between GDE and SKT, which is best? Do either offer discounts to active duty?

Para0203

May 16, 2019
Truck Year

I called a couple times and just rang. I’m certain they were tied up with other customers. I’ll try again. Thx!

Green Diesel

Nov 17, 2015
Truck Year
I called a couple times and just rang. I’m certain they were tied up with other customers. I’ll try again. Thx!

Been lots of calls regarding the FCA recall. Email works better or here if you prefer. GDE has a 10% military discount.

Para0203

May 16, 2019
Truck Year

Show us a picture!

Tried pulling my MAP sensor and the head broke off!

Show us a picture!

Pulled my MAP sensor but in the process the head of it snapped off. Managed to get it out but now need to find a replacement. Called around and no one has it. Hopefully the dealership has it tomorrow when they open.

Para0203

May 16, 2019
Truck Year

Show us a picture!

Show us a picture!