• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Thick sticky oil in coolant reservoir

Mclark

Jan 21, 2022
Truck Year
Hi Gang, new to the forum and looking for info/comfort about my recent purchase. Bought a 2016 ram 3.0 turbo eco diesel from individual about 3 mo ago with about 143k miles on it. Yesterday at 150k I noticed black sticky, thick oil drops on driveway. Lifted the hood to see it coming from coolant reservoir (pictures attached). Started to take cap off the reservoir and it was purging this goo so tightened back down to research. Finding so much on YouTube, I came across this forum and decided to ask the experts. Truck is running fine so I hope I stopped before any catastrophic failure but now I don’t know what to do. I’m semi handy at fixing my own stuff but this is my first but hopefully not my last dive into the eco diesel. Any advice or info you guys might provide would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 0F87F469-959C-43F1-87C2-D4383A9BE231.jpeg
    0F87F469-959C-43F1-87C2-D4383A9BE231.jpeg
    259.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 9C816EF2-F6BC-457C-BE1D-D433AEC04A69.jpeg
    9C816EF2-F6BC-457C-BE1D-D433AEC04A69.jpeg
    904.4 KB · Views: 10

Briansblanchard

Jun 22, 2020
Truck Year
Hi Gang, new to the forum and looking for info/comfort about my recent purchase. Bought a 2016 ram 3.0 turbo eco diesel from individual about 3 mo ago with about 143k miles on it. Yesterday at 150k I noticed black sticky, thick oil drops on driveway. Lifted the hood to see it coming from coolant reservoir (pictures attached). Started to take cap off the reservoir and it was purging this goo so tightened back down to research. Finding so much on YouTube, I came across this forum and decided to ask the experts. Truck is running fine so I hope I stopped before any catastrophic failure but now I don’t know what to do. I’m semi handy at fixing my own stuff but this is my first but hopefully not my last dive into the eco diesel. Any advice or info you guys might provide would be greatly appreciated.
Just had the same issue, oil cooler went, now they are flushing my cooling system for the second time since replacing the oil cooler

Mclark

Jan 21, 2022
Truck Year
Thanks for reply! If you don’t mind, what did the oil cooler replacement cost? I’m trying to decide if it’s something I need to attempt on my own or not.

Briansblanchard

Jun 22, 2020
Truck Year
Thanks for reply! If you don’t mind, what did the oil cooler replacement cost? I’m trying to decide if it’s something I need to attempt on my own or not.
Well it also caused issues with a mixing valve that I had to replace, it is what your oil filter is mounted to, doesn’t look like a difficult job but I knew the coolant would need flushing. Now I just had my intake replaced due to carbon buildup, $4400 in the last two months