• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Thinking about upgrading to an ED.

James3344

Feb 26, 2020
Truck Year
Hey everyone, new to this forum but i've been lurking around for a little while. So here is my situation.

I currently have a 2009 Ram 1500 with the Hemi. I am thinking about buying a used 2014 Eco Diesel with 48,000 miles on it. Car history shows it was a lease vehicle in Canada. We tow a travel trailer at least once a month and I am looking to get better gas mileage which is one of the reasons for wanting the newer diesel. The only problem is I have been reading so much about how unreliable these engines can be, and buying used with no warranty is a little scary. My hemi has given me no major trouble so I would hate to spend more money and end up with more issues.

Can anyone help make this decision easier?! Any help is appreciated.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Not going to be an easy decision. Like you, I would be hesitant buying used. One thing is for sure, you will better your chances of no drama ownership if you tune the truck. Vendors like Sofa King Tuned and HD Diesel seem to be good options. Good luck!

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I agree with Brady on the upgrading to less Parts/Drama. When asked about buying New I make this Statement " Buying use generally buying into someone's Problems so Pay accordingly for repairs"

So adjust the price to $2000.00+ for the upgrade and Possible Repairs, The risk is 2-3 Times Higher buying the VM 3.0. VS Gas

IMO changing Vehicles Used For Used for MPG alone is not worth the risk regardless of Dsl or Gas

If you could afford New the 2019+ Gas MPG is 2-3 MPG improved over 2009-19 Classic.

Nice to see You join.