• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Timing chain gasket oil leak

AndyIRV

Nov 19, 2019
Truck Year
I had my 2015 in for an oil change two weeks ago. The tech that was doing the oil change sent me a video of the the inspection, showing me the oil leaking from the gasket of the timing chain cover. Luckily I have a warranty from the dealership that the truck was purchased from and it will be picking up the tab. Its been there for over a week. In all the Eco Diesel forum and Facebook page posts I have not seen a post about a timing chain leak. They basically had the frontend of the truck disassembled to get at it. Original estimate was 20 hours of labor.
So this leads me to my second question, I have a pedal commander in the box in the truck (never been installed) the service advisor warned me to not install do to it will start throwing CEL's. Potentially needing to be towed and hooked up to clear codes. I know their are many satisfied people with them just curios to hear from someone if they had issues.

Thanks

MXZ0588

Mar 24, 2020
Truck Year
I had my 2015 in for an oil change two weeks ago. The tech that was doing the oil change sent me a video of the the inspection, showing me the oil leaking from the gasket of the timing chain cover. Luckily I have a warranty from the dealership that the truck was purchased from and it will be picking up the tab. Its been there for over a week. In all the Eco Diesel forum and Facebook page posts I have not seen a post about a timing chain leak. They basically had the frontend of the truck disassembled to get at it. Original estimate was 20 hours of labor.
So this leads me to my second question, I have a pedal commander in the box in the truck (never been installed) the service advisor warned me to not install do to it will start throwing CEL's. Potentially needing to be towed and hooked up to clear codes. I know their are many satisfied people with them just curios to hear from someone if they had issues.

Thanks
Andy,
How did you make out with your timing chain oil leak? I just noticed my 17' Eco leaking pretty good. Any issues after the dealer made repairs?

MXZ0588

Mar 24, 2020
Truck Year
Anyone else had recent experience with this issue? Would hope the dealers have a service bulletin on how to repair by now with how many have had this issue between the Rams and Jeeps.

Tmckinney20

Nov 17, 2022
Truck Year
Anyone else had recent experience with this issue? Would hope the dealers have a service bulletin on how to repair by now with how many have had this issue between the Rams and Jeeps.
I cannot comment on the tune because I do not have one, but I had the same oil leak. It took a while to get it back together. It is sealed up nicely. One thing I should have done while they had the intake off was replace the turbo water line. It sits directly under the intake. It is two metal lines with a very short rubber line connecting them. It dry rots and leaks antifreeze down the road. Have them swap out the line while the intake is off. You will have to pay about 100 for the part, but it saves you (i was told) about 1,200 in labor down the road. Learn from my mistake. I am sitting at 90K miles and waiting for mine to leak. When it leaks, it pours off thee back side of the engine. You might think the trans is leaking.