• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

W58 Recall help

Ihenriques

May 14, 2021
Truck Year
That doesn't sound like the particular problem that I had with that tone wheel code delimitation. It had nothing to deal with the engine seizing, it just wouldn't start. It was turning over, just not firing. You might go back through your recalls on your vehicle and see if there are any recalls that have to deal with your particular situation like the loss of oil pressure. That sounds like a very costly repair to replace the engine, especially if you have been getting your oil changed regularly and the oil level was good. How many miles are on your vehicle? I would think it would be worth a tow to a dealership to get it checked out and diagnosed properly.

They won't charge you to diagnose or tell you what the problem is. I had a general mechanic (non-mopar) hook mine up to a diagnostic computer and he didn't have the codes to assist him in diagnosing the cause of my breakdown, so I ended up towing my truck to a dealership an hour away after replacing the battery and the fuel pump and it still not starting.

The Mopar tech said that there wasn't a code for my particular issue, but he knew from experience from the codes that were being thrown and the symptoms of my breakdown that it was the "tone wheel delamination". The dealership advisor was trying to get me to commit to a charge of $1700+ for them to perform the tone wheel replacement in addition to them performing the outstanding recalls. I am a 57 year old grandma and unfortunately, I feel like the service group at the dealership were counting on my ignorance to pay them for the repair AND for Mopar Care to reimburse them for the recalls (including the W58) that were identical to my recommended repair. Once I read the recalls that I had outstanding and recognized that one recall exactly matched the repair they were trying to charge me $1700+ for, I contacted Mopar Customer Service and got them involved. Mopar Customer Service ended up covering ALL of my repair expenses and rental car expenses. It was a lot of headache dealing with the dealership and being without a vehicle for over three weeks and not knowing until the day I picked up my vehicle what was going to happen financially, but I have heard from other owners that were without their vehicle for four months and some have even paid the repairs that should have been covered under their recall notices. I was fortunate!

You may find out that your engine isn't seized and that it is the tone wheel code not being picked up by the device that tells the fuel injectors which cylinders to fire to. I would encourage you to get the recalls done (no expense) before committing to a huge expense.

Good luck and please keep us up to date about what you find out.
I'm getting it towed to dodge, looks like there are several recalls for this truck, I want to make sure I'm not paying for repairs that I don't need. Probably will sell immediately after as the more time I spend looking into these trucks in particular the more problems I see in my future.. 86,000 miles on it.

Gommy

Feb 22, 2021
Truck Year
I bought my vehicle brand new and it has been a very good and reliable vehicle for me. I know all vehicles are subjected to various drivers, environmental elements, etc. that can create more mechanical issues, so not everyone deals with the same issues on the same type of vehicle. I am on the road a lot all over the country, but I have pretty much been the sole driver of this vehicle, so I am familiar with it.

The tone wheel issue has been the only major issue I have had with my vehicle and it turned out to be a recall item. I have 129,000 miles on my vehicle now. I put off having the V08 recall performed because I have heard from other owners that it reduces fuel economy, but I went ahead and did have the V08 recall performed in February when it was being repaired for the tone wheel delamination issue. At that time, I filed a claim under the class action settlement. I am supposed to get $3000+ compensation for that, including about a 4 year extension to my warranty for major repairs. If you haven't had the V08 recall performed, you should do that and file the claim immediately (check the deadline with Mopar) so you can at least take advantage of the monetary compensation before you sell it.

I hope you find out that your problem is related to a recall issue and the repairs will be paid for so that you aren't out additional $$$$ for a new engine.

I had an order in for a Chevy Tahoe with the new diesel engine since early January. They finally burned my order because the factory couldn't get the parts for the heavy tow package that I ordered. I have heard with COVID that new cars are hard to come by and they are selling at a premium, but the resale value of USED vehicles are going up too, which will be good for you if you sell yours right now with the lower mileage!

cporantes

May 14, 2021
Truck Year
The tone wheel issue has been the only major issue I have had with my vehicle and it turned out to be a recall item. I have 129,000 miles on my vehicle now. I put off having the V08 recall performed because I have heard from other owners that it reduces fuel economy, but I went ahead and did have the V08 recall performed in February when it was being repaired for the tone wheel delamination issue. At that time, I filed a claim under the class action settlement. I am supposed to get $3000+ compensation for that, including about a 4 year extension to my warranty for major repairs. If you haven't had the V08 recall performed, you should do that and file the claim immediately (check the deadline with Mopar) so you can at least take advantage of the monetary compensation before you sell it.

I own a 2016 Ram 1500 with the 3.0L ecodiesel that I bought new. I am having the same issue with my Tone Wheel. The W58 recall. I was driving in Palm Beach County on the turnpike at 70MPH when all of my engine lights came on and the engine essentially shut off. I pulled over to the side of the road and could not start the vehicle. I ended up having to get a hotel and have my truck towed to Arrigo CJDR Palm Beach to diagnose. They got it started but told me that my tone wheel needed replacing. We looked up tone wheel and found the W58 recall. It looks like it applies 100% to my vehicle. However, I am told that my VIN is not covered in the recall!!! What?

I need to know how I can get this covered. Any suggestions from anyone who has been through this?

Also, is there a class action suit regarding the W58 and Tone Wheel delamination?

Gommy

Feb 22, 2021
Truck Year
I own a 2016 Ram 1500 with the 3.0L ecodiesel that I bought new. I am having the same issue with my Tone Wheel. The W58 recall. I was driving in Palm Beach County on the turnpike at 70MPH when all of my engine lights came on and the engine essentially shut off. I pulled over to the side of the road and could not start the vehicle. I ended up having to get a hotel and have my truck towed to Arrigo CJDR Palm Beach to diagnose. They got it started but told me that my tone wheel needed replacing. We looked up tone wheel and found the W58 recall. It looks like it applies 100% to my vehicle. However, I am told that my VIN is not covered in the recall!!! What?

I need to know how I can get this covered. Any suggestions from anyone who has been through this?

Also, is there a class action suit regarding the W58 and Tone Wheel delamination?
Have you spoken with Mopar Customer Care? This is a phone number that I have from my case. 800 992-1997 You will need to have your VIN handy. If you talk to them and they maintain that your VIN is not covered under that recall, I would ask them why it is not covered. Also ask if there are any lawsuits pending regarding that part failure? Surely they can share that information with you. If it's not part of a class action lawsuit, maybe you should contact the law firm that started the class action lawsuit that resulted in the settlement for the V08 recall? Those are my thoughts for what they are worth!

cporantes

May 14, 2021
Truck Year
Have you spoken with Mopar Customer Care? This is a phone number that I have from my case. You will need to have your VIN handy. If you talk to them and they maintain that your VIN is not covered under that recall, I would ask them why it is not covered. Also ask if there are any lawsuits pending regarding that part failure? Surely they can share that information with you. If it's not part of a class action lawsuit, maybe you should contact the law firm that started the class action lawsuit that resulted in the settlement for the V08 recall? Those are my thoughts for what they are worth!

Yes, I spoke with Mopar Customer Care. They said that, even though I have a 2016 Ram 1500 with the 3.0L Diesel, my VIN is not listed under the W58 Recall. They say there is nothing that they can do. The dealership wants to replace the tone wheel at a cost to me of over $1700. If there is a software update that needs to be done, they are not offering it. I don't even know what to ask for because the dealer said that my vehicle is not covered under the recall notice.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year

Did you have the AEM V08 emissions recall done? If not you are not included in the W58 you would be included in the W68 tone wheel recall which replaces the tone wheel for free labor and parts

Ihenriques

May 14, 2021
Truck Year
So I got the call yesterday, dodge mechanic indicated there were shavings in the oil which is what caused the the engine to seize. My gut tells me that, that is a result of the poor design and build of these engines (2015 1500 3.0L). I'm new to trucks and engines.. We bought this truck from private seller(have known for over 20yrs) for $20k CAD in December. 5 months later this happens. they're telling us it's seized and needs new engine... but I really have to question if it's not a combination of all the things that have been wrong with this truck.... besides doing nothing, does anyone have any suggestions?

Ramman1

Jun 7, 2019
Truck Year

Exact same issue!! Mine went out at 125000 on the Florida turnpike and was towed to Arrigo Ram.. cost me $1900 to replace, my VIN was not in the recall range either.. I called Mopar and was told the same thing, wrote letters and made a complaint to NTSHA. Prior to this the truck has been flawless. I also bought mine new and had the recall done that paid me 3000.00

Last edited:

Gommy

Feb 22, 2021
Truck Year
So I got the call yesterday, dodge mechanic indicated there were shavings in the oil which is what caused the the engine to seize. My gut tells me that, that is a result of the poor design and build of these engines (2015 1500 3.0L). I'm new to trucks and engines.. We bought this truck from private seller(have known for over 20yrs) for $20k CAD in December. 5 months later this happens. they're telling us it's seized and needs new engine... but I really have to question if it's not a combination of all the things that have been wrong with this truck.... besides doing nothing, does anyone have any suggestions?
I am not qualified to answer you, but I am very sorry to hear that they confirmed that the engine did seize. Hopefully someone else here can give you some ideas of some options.