• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Will P24AE Result in Limp Mode

Hm Bacon

Aug 5, 2017
Truck Year
CEL lit up yesterday driving around Custer, SD on my 2016 EcoDiesel. I am on vacation 1800 miles from home pulling a 7800 pound travel trailer. If the code is not reset will the engine go into limp mode with this code? I have tools but I nfortunately I have no where to work on the truck.

More details:
I have been towing my camper several times a week using tow/haul mode and monitoring MPG’s and temperatures. Before the mountains oil temp was around 234 most of the time. On long flat straightaways at 65 mph and In the mountains the oil temp has gone to 255 and 264 so I have slowed down to cool it off. Two hauls ago I forgot to use tow/haul and mpg’s improved and oil temp stayed on 134 at 70 mph. So last leg I didn’t use tow/haul and was wondering if anyone thinks this coul have caused the P24AE code. The truck has 124,333 miles and has regular oil changes.
FYI, many have said oil life is strait 10,000 miles. Not so. With all the hauling and higher oil temps oil life is about 7,000 miles.

Tmckinney20

Nov 17, 2022
Truck Year
I believe your code is an exhaust leak. Use tow haul mode. It helps your transmissions life span. If you do not use it, you can risk burning it up. As far as limp mode, I do not know.

Hm Bacon

Aug 5, 2017
Truck Year
Cleaned the sensor and diffusers tube. I reset cel but it came back on after a few miles. I have reset it again and will see if it comes back on. No one seems to have the particulate matter sensor, not even molar. No indication of limp mode imminent. Other suggestions? Can’t find a shop that isn’t book at least a week out then I am gone.

A standup guy

Oct 12, 2021
Truck Year
I believe this is a code I got awhile back. I drove it for 2months with no issues. Part of that is cause I'm lazy and part was because the dealer couldn't get me in for a bit. Dealer said it was the DPF sensor that had gone bad and replaced it under warranty. No biggy.

Hm Bacon

Aug 5, 2017
Truck Year
Good news. I reset the code one more time this morning and after 4 cranking cycles the cel has not come on again. My scan tool indicated two codes, P24AE Manual and P24AE Permanent. Anyone know the difference. I could reset the manual one but the other seems to be "permanent" as in kept for history, I guess. Good to hear limp mode is probably not going to come into the picture. If the cel comes on tomorrow I will schedule service in Cody next week if I can get in. Did the dealer have the part in stock?

A standup guy

Oct 12, 2021
Truck Year
Good news. I reset the code one more time this morning and after 4 cranking cycles the cel has not come on again. My scan tool indicated two codes, P24AE Manual and P24AE Permanent. Anyone know the difference. I could reset the manual one but the other seems to be "permanent" as in kept for history, I guess. Good to hear limp mode is probably not going to come into the picture. If the cel comes on tomorrow I will schedule service in Cody next week if I can get in. Did the dealer have the part in stock?
I believe they did.