• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Wont crank warm or hot-Runs perfectly and starts cold

Rockstr66

Jul 12, 2023
Truck Year
Hello everyone,
I have a 2015 Ram 1500 ecodiesel with 143k on it. Deleted everything and runs great. But recently the engine would not turn over more than 1-2 times and starter stopped and engine would not start. Cranks perfectly in the morning after sitting overnight but after running and shutting off the motor it takes 5-6 tries for the starter to turn over and the engine will finally start again. When pushing the start button, you will get maybe one to two cranks and everything stops. But try to start and the same thing again. So I figured the starter and fuel pump are not kicking in when the motor will not turn over. So with the warm weather symptoms, and no start I figured it might be a warm relay malfunctioning. Replaced the starter relay today but it still will not turn over when warm. Connection somewhere, bad fuse connection, another relay???
Everyone, any ideas?
Thank you all

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
I've had starters do that. Usually, it's a bad spot on the armature and with a couple of turns it may find a good spot. I had one that it wasn't a bad spot, I had to carry water to cool it down, and then it would start. In all cases the fix was to replace the starter.

You can rule out the relay.
Pull out the starter relay and put the key in the RUN position.
Take a short piece of wire and jump between where pins 30 (3) and 87 (5) on the relay would go.
The starter will crank and if good, start the engine.

Rockstr66

Jul 12, 2023
Truck Year
Thank you for the advice, the starter makes sense since sometimes it starts easily and I’ve done a load test on the battery. Any suggestions on a good starter without going OEM?

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Thank you for the advice, the starter makes sense since sometimes it starts easily and I’ve done a load test on the battery. Any suggestions on a good starter without going OEM?
Sorry, I have no idea

BTdriver

Aug 30, 2018
Truck Year
I just looked up your starter on Rockauto.com. They have a new Bosch (p/n: SR6534N, w/o start/stop feature) for about $95. The MOPAR starter was over $400.

Rockstr66

Jul 12, 2023
Truck Year
I just looked up your starter on Rockauto.com. They have a new Bosch (p/n: SR6534N, w/o start/stop feature) for about $95. The MOPAR starter was over $400.
BT thank you! I did see that and purchased it. Bosch used to be quality, probably made in China now-who knows.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
BT thank you! I did see that and purchased it. Bosch used to be quality, probably made in China now-who knows.
Bosch is still made in Germany

autoX

Nov 6, 2022
Truck Year
Ive had clearances inside the starter, change due to temperature.
Corrosion in the starter motor itself, causes hot start issues.
Corrosion in the throw-out relay, causes cold start issues.
Interestingly, I've been able to mitigate both by injecting something like LPS#2 into the solenoid chamber(Audi A8) or the starter (my boat :) ) itself.
But yeah, replacing is the way to go.