• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Dealer wouldn't update my 2015 TCM today or do the Rotella switch

AJ73942

Aug 2, 2016
Truck Year
I have a 2015 EdoDiesel and have been waiting to get switched over to the 5/40 oil. A small-town nearby dealer had a special for $119.00 for an Eco oil change and I was at 30% oil life remaining. I figured it was as good a time as any to get the update done, so I called and visited with the service manager earlier in the week. He was aware of the situation and assured me that they had done the 5/40 oil change and TCM flash to change the shift points. We made an appointment and I went in today. The service manager was gone and I got to visit with a very decent "other" service manager/parts guy/tech/salesman . Like I said, it's a small dealership. I told him that I wanted to get upgraded to the 5/40 Rotella and he said he'd have to check to see if my truck was listed to get the TCM. I was a little puzzled because I thought ALL 2014-2016 trucks were supposed to get it. I knew they had started with the 2016s still on the lot, but figured if I went in, they could do it. He asked if I'd gotten any recall notice. No. He scanned my VIN and said it didn't show my truck was authorized to get the TCM recalibration. He was a decent guy and not argumentative about it at all and said it would be fine if i wanted to continue with the 30 weight oil. Since I still had 30% oil life left, I said I'd just run it a while longer and that would probably get me to the 20k service. He said I did need a couple of updates for the trailer brake module and media hub, and offered to do those for me instead of the oil change. It took him maybe 20 minutes to do it and I think I was the only appointment they had. I liked their friendly attitude and think I'll start going there for service.

Has anyone gotten a recall notice from FCA authorizing the work on a 2014-2015 truck?
;
Thanks

John

Nov 13, 2015
Correct. The TCM and ECM flash updates are only for the 2016's at this point in time.

You can switch to the Rotella T6 at any time without any updates. The new oil spec applies to all year ecodiesels.

AJ73942

Aug 2, 2016
Truck Year
That's good to know, and i will do that at the 20k change. I thought the TCM remap was an important part of trying to make the engines last longer? Not sure I've heard anything about an ECM flash, but it would make sense.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
That's good to know, and i will do that at the 20k change. I thought the TCM remap was an important part of trying to make the engines last longer? Not sure I've heard anything about an ECM flash, but it would make sense.
I was able to get a dealer go flash my 2014, wish I had not. The shift points are at a higher RPM which causes some issues for me, such as holding 7th gear at 55mph with a resulting reduction in fuel mileage. I have had the transmission hold 7th until 70 mph for several seconds, with a further reduction in fuel mileage. A very quick down shift from 8th to 7th for any acceleration, even from 65 MPH. Way too much RPM which has resulted in a drop of fuel mileage. My last oil change I changed the oil myself using Rotella T6 (full synthetic) with a subsequent monetary savings from the dealer. I am hearing from the re-programmer community that a TCM remap is not available from the aftermarket at this time.

AJ73942

Aug 2, 2016
Truck Year
More good info. I will go to the heavier oil at the next change but I think I will pass on the TCM change.

HarleyRob

Sep 15, 2016
Truck Year
My dealer does the oil changes for 110.00 I am guessing maybe because I purchased the truck there. If you buy in advance it goes down. I purchased 3 in advance for 97.00 each.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
My dealer does the oil changes for 110.00 I am guessing maybe because I purchased the truck there. If you buy in advance it goes down. I purchased 3 in advance for 97.00 each.
The lowest dealer cost for oil change on the ED here is $200.00, I did it myself for out of pocket expense of $99.00 so your cost of $110 is a pretty good deal. Our Dodge dealer will make the multiple oil change reduced price for my wife's Charger but not for my ED. Go figure!

HarleyRob

Sep 15, 2016
Truck Year
This dealer lowers cost the more you buy in advance. Like I said, I bought 3 for 97.00 each. I called around to others and they started at 160.00 You would think the dealer you purchased from would cut some slack on it.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
This dealer lowers cost the more you buy in advance. Like I said, I bought 3 for 97.00 each. I called around to others and they started at 160.00 You would think the dealer you purchased from would cut some slack on it.
Actually the dealer I bought the truck at wants $250.00, we have since changed dealers.

rwa95

Nov 11, 2016
Truck Year
Having had the flash on my 2016, I would strongly suggest not getting it done. Just as @GearHead says above, it does reduce fuel economy significantly. Wish I could go back to original settings. Would love to know if anyone has found a way to do that.

Reactions: EOC

Dennis Dickinson

Nov 19, 2015
Truck Year
The dealer in West Salem Wi. changes $195.00 an oil change. If you purchase three at a time you get it for around $100.00. They told me that after I paid for the oil change. I didn't receive anything about going to 5w40 oil. When did that come out. I have a 2015 ED 4X4, love the truck.

Thanks, Dennis
Retired and loving it.

Matnmar

Dec 3, 2015
Truck Year
I have a 2015 EdoDiesel and have been waiting to get switched over to the 5/40 oil. A small-town nearby dealer had a special for $119.00 for an Eco oil change and I was at 30% oil life remaining. I figured it was as good a time as any to get the update done, so I called and visited with the service manager earlier in the week. He was aware of the situation and assured me that they had done the 5/40 oil change and TCM flash to change the shift points. We made an appointment and I went in today. The service manager was gone and I got to visit with a very decent "other" service manager/parts guy/tech/salesman . Like I said, it's a small dealership. I told him that I wanted to get upgraded to the 5/40 Rotella and he said he'd have to check to see if my truck was listed to get the TCM. I was a little puzzled because I thought ALL 2014-2016 trucks were supposed to get it. I knew they had started with the 2016s still on the lot, but figured if I went in, they could do it. He asked if I'd gotten any recall notice. No. He scanned my VIN and said it didn't show my truck was authorized to get the TCM recalibration. He was a decent guy and not argumentative about it at all and said it would be fine if i wanted to continue with the 30 weight oil. Since I still had 30% oil life left, I said I'd just run it a while longer and that would probably get me to the 20k service. He said I did need a couple of updates for the trailer brake module and media hub, and offered to do those for me instead of the oil change. It took him maybe 20 minutes to do it and I think I was the only appointment they had. I liked their friendly attitude and think I'll start going there for service.

Has anyone gotten a recall notice from FCA authorizing the work on a 2014-2015 truck?
;
Thanks
I did the switch already and hate it. I was getting 28 to 31 mpg driving 130 miles a day. After I switched to the Rotella my milage dropped to right around 23 to 26 tops. I'm switching back as soon as it's time for another oil change.

justlucky

May 15, 2016
Truck Year
I bought my truck in May, and I had put 8000 miles on it by September, so I took it into the dealer and I had oil changed, they used the 5/30, I have since put on 4 thousand miles since that oil change, I called the dealer and complain? That I did not have the right oil installed into my truck and demand the right oil? when I bought the truck they gave me as a incentive 4 free oil changes to be used in 2 years, To cut a long story short, I called the service manager and explained everything about this past oil change I had, and the oil that they put in was the 5W-30. When he looked up my VIN number I was told, there was no a recall note on my 2016 truck for oil. And that is why I did not get the 5W-40 At this point I left it up to him what he wanted to do but I told him I know all 2016 eco diesel are affected and be careful what you do here. I was told he will bring the truck in and change the oil to the 5W-40.at no charge to me. I asked if he could screen the oil and look for metal, he was very agreeable to do this for me, no metal was found. I was taken in the back of the service depart, to bay my truck was in being worked on, In conversation with the mechanic who was working on my truck, he stated that they did change the oil when the notice came out for all the eco diesels on the lot ..I just do not understand why they did not do my oil change right the first time, when I was there for service. I was told to come see the service manager whenever I brought my truck in. It is up to you what you do with your truck but I would get it changed,

Matnmar

Dec 3, 2015
Truck Year
I bought my truck in May, and I had put 8000 miles on it by September, so I took it into the dealer and I had oil changed, they used the 5/30, I have since put on 4 thousand miles since that oil change, I called the dealer and complain? That I did not have the right oil installed into my truck and demand the right oil? when I bought the truck they gave me as a incentive 4 free oil changes to be used in 2 years, To cut a long story short, I called the service manager and explained everything about this past oil change I had, and the oil that they put in was the 5W-30. When he looked up my VIN number I was told, there was no a recall note on my 2016 truck for oil. And that is why I did not get the 5W-40 At this point I left it up to him what he wanted to do but I told him I know all 2016 eco diesel are affected and be careful what you do here. I was told he will bring the truck in and change the oil to the 5W-40.at no charge to me. I asked if he could screen the oil and look for metal, he was very agreeable to do this for me, no metal was found. I was taken in the back of the service depart, to bay my truck was in being worked on, In conversation with the mechanic who was working on my truck, he stated that they did change the oil when the notice came out for all the eco diesels on the lot ..I just do not understand why they did not do my oil change right the first time, when I was there for service. I was told to come see the service manager whenever I brought my truck in. It is up to you what you do with your truck but I would get it changed,
Well I really like the Kendall euro so I'll go with that and just switch it to 5w40. I love the truck but man all three bs bulletins drive me nuts

dbr2

Jan 2, 2016
Truck Year
I have changed my own oil since new. I purchased the Kendall Euro Oil 2-12qt cases delivered to door for $134.00. I have switched to the 5/40 on my last purchase.. I bought 6 oil filters and 6 fuel filters in a package, 14.00/per oil filters & 9.00/per fuel filter. I have installed an oil cock or brass valve on the oil pan. So, dropping the oil, pull filter and let it drain and then swapping out fuel filter. It literally takes less than 2 minutes to slide oil reservoir under truck and pop open the brass valve, (Fumoto F-106N Engine Oil Drain Valve). It takes longer to pour the oil in the engine than it does to pull filter and drop the oil. My oil changes with fuel filter is about $78.00.

Now, with that said I am very cautious as there seems to be some question to life span of the engine. So, I have all receipts, and I have drained and bagged each oil filter re-boxed marked date and mileage of change. I also bought 8oz glass sample bottles and I have reserved oil from each oil change and of course mark and tagged also.

I changed my oil 4 times, about every 6K, quite early from the oil change life indicator, better safe than sorry. My truck run's absolutely great, but if I have an issue, I have the supporting evidence to support the service.

justlucky

May 15, 2016
Truck Year
i would think ,Your doing it the right way, many years ago i would of done the same as you, as for me , today, what ever is done on this truck the dealer will do,

dbr2

Jan 2, 2016
Truck Year
If I had the time I would prefer the dealership, for me to take the time to the dealership and drop off or wait and wait and wait, etc. I find it so simple for me to drop oil, have dinner go back to garage and screw in filter, flip valve, add oil. It is just so quick and simple and really takes only a few minutes to do. I save hours and hours from taking the vehicle in. I have everything delivered to the door, so no time on acquisition and the inexpensive cost is just a side benefit. I appreciate the no hassle getting in and out of dealership and time savings the most.
Since I was a kid I have always liked to tinker on my vehicles, but as I get older not so much. But the oil change is just to simple.

HarleyRob

Sep 15, 2016
Truck Year
My dealership loans a vehicle for free while they do the service so you don't have to sit there and wait for 2 hours. I took my 2016 in with 1800 miles on it because of a front tire issue. They changed the oil and did the flash on it at that time. I was getting 27/28 running 75/80 mph here in north Texas. After flash I get 25/26 at same speed. I am seriously considering GDE tune after things settle down with this EPA stuff.

Stephen Lemmon

Jan 18, 2016
Truck Year
I was able to get a dealer go flash my 2014, wish I had not. The shift points are at a higher RPM which causes some issues for me, such as holding 7th gear at 55mph with a resulting reduction in fuel mileage. I have had the transmission hold 7th until 70 mph for several seconds, with a further reduction in fuel mileage. A very quick down shift from 8th to 7th for any acceleration, even from 65 MPH. Way too much RPM which has resulted in a drop of fuel mileage. My last oil change I changed the oil myself using Rotella T6 (full synthetic) with a subsequent monetary savings from the dealer. I am hearing from the re-programmer community that a TCM remap is not available from the aftermarket at this time.

Sounds like your truck is in permanent tow mode. That is how mine shifts when I press the button.

Stephen Lemmon

Jan 18, 2016
Truck Year
Correct. The TCM and ECM flash updates are only for the 2016's at this point in time.

You can switch to the Rotella T6 at any time without any updates. The new oil spec applies to all year ecodiesels.

This is what I believe. I have a 2014 and change oil myself at 5000-6000 miles. When I first heard of the oil spec change, I went to the dealership and verified it. I had been using Quaker Ultimate Durability with 1qt Lucas. Now I'm using Rotella with 1Qt Lucas. Fuel mileage has gone down and DEF consumption has gone up. Next change I will use Rotella and 2qt Lucas. If the mileage does not get better... I will be looking for another oil that meets spec. I had lab reports run on the Ultimate Durability- came back great.