• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

LED lights

Zigi

Mar 21, 2016
Truck Year
Hi all
I have a 2016 Ram 1500 and I had driving lights on my 2015 that I put onto this one along with LED taillights and an LED driving light as well.
I had my oil changed a couple months ago and had an upgrade flash done as well. Problem I'm havingsince then is that when i step on the brake, I get a dash warning telling me that that a taillight is out. My Parking sensors are also going nuts, especially when wet. I have to turn the front ones off or else the warning sounds are too much. I can be sitting at a light and a vehicle coming through the intersection will make the sensor go off. If I get a vehicle come up beside me at a light, the sensor goes off.
I brought it in to the dealer and he tells me that it is because of the aftermarket lights. They worked fine before the reflash and now I have the problems. Any suggestions? The lights ordered were for my model truck.
Thanks

Gossman78

Oct 2, 2016
Truck Year
I'm not exactly sure but I bet the truck thinks it should be seeing X amount of current draw for the previous version tail lights and since it does't it throws a 'bad light' error code. I've got the same problem with my parking sensors. They are after all ultrasonic sensors and that technology is affected by water and dirt.

DRMAC

Oct 10, 2016
Truck Year
hello, my limited research about adding led lights brought me to understanding the Controller Area Network (CAN bus) that has a common voltage level that is always learning. Your new LEDs are drawing less current than factory lights thus affecting the CAN-BUS.

flying7

Jul 15, 2014
Truck Year
hello, my limited research about adding led lights brought me to understanding the Controller Area Network (CAN bus) that has a common voltage level that is always learning. Your new LEDs are drawing less current than factory lights thus affecting the CAN-BUS.

I've read that can bus interferes with the led / hid lights. Does someone make a module to help?

Head_shot_1909

Jan 5, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
Anyone have any experience with these? Seem really good as far as reviews and fitment inside stock quad housing with first covers... may have to include the anti flicker relays too... but for price compared to others and they are a good company...

Attachments

• 20190110_091240.jpg
    20190110_091240.jpg
    332.2 KB · Views: 42

EcoClay95

Dec 12, 2018
Truck Year
Just out of curiousoty, you think that’s why my interior lights decide on their own when they want to come on?? I have all led interior lights as well.

Head_shot_1909

Jan 5, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
What type of bulbs are you using? I used the Sylvania high end... And do you mean they come on randomly even when off or just when you've turned them on?

EcoClay95

Dec 12, 2018
Truck Year
What type of bulbs are you using? I used the Sylvania high end... And do you mean they come on randomly even when off or just when you've turned them on?

They’re the sylvania high silver stars. Think the back of the cab is a zevo one. And they don’t always come on when I open my doors. Kind of hit and miss when they come on. Not fun trying to grab something out of the back floor in the pitch black.

Head_shot_1909

Jan 5, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
These are what I used from auto zone and advanced auto... keep in mind the connection on the rear cab light was a little loose around the new LED so I just adjusted the connections tighter and everything has worked fine for me... these don't require the resistors as far as I know

Attachments

• 81T6U3waWtL._SX425_.jpg
    81T6U3waWtL._SX425_.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 81jjxcjnVFL._SX425_.jpg
    81jjxcjnVFL._SX425_.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 13

JMF157

Jan 11, 2019
Truck Year
LED lights require a resistor to make make the computer 'see' the proper voltage draw. In my previous vehicle I used the Putco Plasma bulbs for my front markers/directional and my rear stop/tail/turn. When direct replaced, they caused the blinker to flash at twice the speed with only half the flashes of light. I had to use a load resistor and chose Putco's aluminum housed. I installed a set in on the rear lights only and the system worked properly. I am recommending Putco because I installed them when I bought the truck in 2008 and they were still working fine in 2018 until I was hit and my truck totaled. Hope this helps.

JMF157

Jan 11, 2019
Truck Year
LED lights require a resistor to make make the computer 'see' the proper voltage draw. In my previous vehicle I used the Putco Plasma bulbs for my front markers/directional and my rear stop/tail/turn. When direct replaced, they caused the blinker to flash at twice the speed with only half the flashes of light. I had to use a load resistor and chose Putco's aluminum housed. I installed a set in on the rear lights only and the system worked properly. I am recommending Putco because I installed them when I bought the truck in 2008 and they were still working fine in 2018 until I was hit and my truck totaled. Hope this helps.

Shortly after posting this, I went back on Putco's website: www.Putco.com and found they now have a new LED light called Metal. It has the resistor built in and is supposed to prevent any light faults in newer vehicles.

Zigi

Mar 21, 2016
Truck Year
Hey all
I found a vehicle specific led headlight conversion. For the ram, they include a module for each light and factory type plugs to connect the existing wires to

Attachments

• 5B137FCB-4974-4A93-BADF-50299F6F93F8.jpeg
    5B137FCB-4974-4A93-BADF-50299F6F93F8.jpeg
    217.7 KB · Views: 33
  • BD8AE7DE-0421-4C34-AC85-908A61159A6E.jpeg
    BD8AE7DE-0421-4C34-AC85-908A61159A6E.jpeg
    204 KB · Views: 33

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
Does it say if it is for the regular reflector halogen or for the projector housing halogen? I tried LED in my non projector housing and it was awful. Maybe this will be better. Please keep us up to date!

Zigi

Mar 21, 2016
Truck Year
These ones I got, I don’t believe they are for the projector.

Liggett

Sep 13, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
I tried Morimoto 2-Stroke 2.0 in my lows and I forgot which other brand in the highs. Neither were cheap and I sent them back.The pattern was horrible with both but they looked like they would be great in the daylight. At night, not so much. Stock bulbs back in and a set of KC Gravity 6" Daylighters on a license plate mount. Not enough light protection since they're out in front of the bumper. Now they're going on the Black Horse bull bar as soon as I get the bar installed. I had Daylighters on my '97 Surburban and theres a reason they call them Daylighters!

MSP548

Aug 30, 2016
Truck Year
I just installed LED headlights, high and low beam, from Headlight Revolution. I have the projector housings. I used the HR recommended bulbs for my application and couldn’t be happier with the results.

Liggett

Sep 13, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
I just installed LED headlights, high and low beam, from Headlight Revolution. I have the projector housings. I used the HR recommended bulbs for my application and couldn’t be happier with the results.
I should have mentioned that my truck is a 2018 Bighorn with quad headlamps. The led's didn't work well in mine.

Liggett

Sep 13, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
Blackhorse Bull bar is on with Daylighters mounted. Great solution for seeing critters in time on lonely dark roads. Now I just need to find a non-LED solution for the lows. Apparently the Silverstar ultras and the Phillips ultra or whatever do not have a great life expectancy. It's such a PIA to change bulbs that I'm not too keen on that solution especially since the lows are also the DRL's.