• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Engine keeps overheating

nicko

Sep 26, 2019
Truck Year
Hey all,
I have a 2016 eco diesel. I just replaced the radiator about a month ago and yesterday I was up playing around in the mountains. When I shut the engine off half of my coolant dumped out on the ground and it seemed to be boiling in the coolant tank. Any suggestions on what this could be?

John

Nov 13, 2015
Give us a little background on why you replaced the radiator.
Overheating could be caused by the fan not working, bad water pump, stuck thermostat and hopefully not a bad head gasket or cracked cylinder.

After the radiator replacement did you get all of the air out of the system and use the correct concentration of coolant?

nicko

Sep 26, 2019
Truck Year
Give us a little background on why you replaced the radiator.
Overheating could be caused by the fan not working, bad water pump, stuck thermostat and hopefully not a bad head gasket or cracked cylinder.

After the radiator replacement did you get all of the air out of the system and use the correct concentration of coolant?

So the radiator was cracked. I don't have the proper tools or know how on how to replace a radiator in these trucks. I took it to a certified mechanic in my area and asked them to replace it. They said they didn't find anything wrong with the hoses, and the fan is working properly.

John

Nov 13, 2015
If you top off the coolant and drive it some what temps are you seeing?

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
it probably over heated before and just put a radiator in it for the fix!!!!!!!

nicko

Sep 26, 2019
Truck Year
If you top off the coolant and drive it some what temps are you seeing?
On a hot day it'll get up to 215. I keep a close eye on it and won't let it get above that.

nicko

Sep 26, 2019
Truck Year
it probably over heated before and just put a radiator in it for the fix!!!!!!!
I have a feeling that's what is happening. After diving into it further there was a loose hose, but I don't know why it would get so hot still

nicko

Sep 26, 2019
Truck Year
change the thermostat do u have the shutters in frount
Not sure what you mean by shutters. But my next step will be the thermostat. Hopefully that fixes it. If I am correct, the thermostat is right below the big hose that goes into the engine does that sound right?

Will_CathVT

Jul 9, 2019
Truck Year
Look into the EGR cooler leaking. My 2016 started overheating earlier in the week and the dealer found the EGR cooler was leaking, 48500 miles on it. Entire fix including the loaner was covered under the extended warranty.