• The official site for FCA settlement information and questions is located at https://www.ecodieselsettlement.com/
  • Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Unhappy with Performance after Emissions Recall Update

Ram For Life

May 25, 2019
Truck Year
They can't tune anything right now.. also, you can't blame them for sharing anything. The customers should also not be upset or even shocked as everyone knows modifying emissions equipment is against federal law and people knowingly bought those products. If GDE said no, then they would find out anyways via legal action so they really had no choice in my opinion..
I agree with you, have heard if GDE will every coming back?

kbrad

Dec 30, 2019
Truck Year
I had my recall done and now I'm stuck with a DFE 100% full and no truck to drive . The milage dropped by 5 mpg and the power sucked. New it was 28 on the open road at 85 mph. when it stopped t was only 20 MPG at 65. What does it take to reflash the computer and get my old truck performance back Thisis bull shit. I had 45000 mile and no issue recal and 300 mile later now this issue ug help

Ram For Life

May 25, 2019
Truck Year
I had my recall done and now I'm stuck with a DFE 100% full and no truck to drive . The milage dropped by 5 mpg and the power sucked. New it was 28 on the open road at 85 mph. when it stopped t was only 20 MPG at 65. What does it take to reflash the computer and get my old truck performance back Thisis bull shit. I had 45000 mile and no issue recal and 300 mile later now this issue ug help
You need a engine tune, their are still some companies left that offer tunes. But the BIG BAD EPA are shutting them down.

ramraiders

Jul 14, 2019
Truck Year
This is right out of the settlement agreement for AEM. Page 75.

Buyback and Lease Termination Remedies. In addition to any protections provided by applicable law (including those referenced in Paragraph 45.e below), Defendants must provide a Buyback or Lease Termination to any Eligible Owner or Eligible Lessee of an Eligible Vehicle that receives the Approved Emissions Modification in the event that, during the 18 months or 18,000 miles (whichever comes first) following the completion of the Approved Emissions Modification (the “Remedy Period”), Defendants fail to repair or remedy a confirmed failure or malfunction covered by the Extended Warranty and associated with the Approved Emissions Modification (a “Warrantable Failure”) after the Eligible Owner or Eligible Lessee physically presents the Subject Vehicle to a Dealer for repair of the Warrantable Failure; and (i) the Warrantable Failure is unable to be remedied after making 4 separate service visits to the same Dealer for the same Warrantable Failure during the Remedy Period; or (ii) the Subject Vehicle with the Warrantable Failure is out-of-service due to the Warrantable Failure for a cumulative total of 30 days during the Remedy Period, not including any days when the Dealer returns or otherwise tenders the Subject Vehicle to the customer while the Dealer awaits necessary parts and such vehicle remains Operable

Reactions: CCW

CCW

Jun 11, 2019
Truck Year
This is right out of the settlement agreement for AEM. Page 75.

Buyback and Lease Termination Remedies. In addition to any protections provided by applicable law (including those referenced in Paragraph 45.e below), Defendants must provide a Buyback or Lease Termination to any Eligible Owner or Eligible Lessee of an Eligible Vehicle that receives the Approved Emissions Modification in the event that, during the 18 months or 18,000 miles (whichever comes first) following the completion of the Approved Emissions Modification (the “Remedy Period”), Defendants fail to repair or remedy a confirmed failure or malfunction covered by the Extended Warranty and associated with the Approved Emissions Modification (a “Warrantable Failure”) after the Eligible Owner or Eligible Lessee physically presents the Subject Vehicle to a Dealer for repair of the Warrantable Failure; and (i) the Warrantable Failure is unable to be remedied after making 4 separate service visits to the same Dealer for the same Warrantable Failure during the Remedy Period; or (ii) the Subject Vehicle with the Warrantable Failure is out-of-service due to the Warrantable Failure for a cumulative total of 30 days during the Remedy Period, not including any days when the Dealer returns or otherwise tenders the Subject Vehicle to the customer while the Dealer awaits necessary parts and such vehicle remains Operable
Awesome, thanks for providing this! Should be helpful as backup in case I get pushback from Chrysler. I made several calls to the dealer, Ecodiesel Hotline and Chrysler Customer Care yesterday - both dealer and Hotline just referred me to the Chrysler Care 800-247-9753. At first the Chrysler Care folks claimed stupidity regarding the info you noted but finally agreed my that my truck has been sitting unrepaired for long enough to assign a case#. Just waiting to be contacted by the case representative now for further discussion. Currently at day#38 with no EGR safety recall solution or repair parts availability for my truck...

Stewart

Sep 4, 2019
Truck Year
Probably a stupid question but does the dealer furnish you a comparable truck while your vehicle is out of commission? I can't run my business for very long without my truck. I don't have a significant coolant loss yet and I toyed with the idea of trading the truck in to avoid that problem but that is an expensive hit that FCA really should have to take instead of me. The really ridiculous thought I had was that FCA should offer a big discount and a high trade in offer to get these dogs off the road and keep us in a Ram.

CCW

Jun 11, 2019
Truck Year
Probably a stupid question but does the dealer furnish you a comparable truck while your vehicle is out of commission? I can't run my business for very long without my truck. I don't have a significant coolant loss yet and I toyed with the idea of trading the truck in to avoid that problem but that is an expensive hit that FCA really should have to take instead of me. The really ridiculous thought I had was that FCA should offer a big discount and a high trade in offer to get these dogs off the road and keep us in a Ram.
In the case of my servicing dealer they did supply me with a demo tradesman crew cab as a loaner. It is nowhere near the trim level of my Longhorn Limited, but does have 4wd, a hemi engine and runs... I suspect the loaner policy may vary by and be dependent on how long the vehicle is expected be out of commission, so you may want to confirm with the dealer you purchased from. My dealership is in a rural location and routinely provides loaners for service appointments (as available).

Regarding the hope of getting a big discount or high trade - don't hold your breath getting generosity from the dealership. The sales manager at my dealer made it clear that this is a "FCA/Chrysler" problem and they are not out to lose money by giving an excessive trade/discount (regardless of whether they sold me the damn thing). Thus I am forced to go through the Chrysler Customer Care folks and make a case to get a subsidy or buy back agreement for my vehicle from the corporation. According to the sales manager once I get concurrence from FCA/Chrysler they (dealer) will then act as my advocate to get the best possible deal for a replacement vehicle...they don't make it easy.

ramraiders

Jul 14, 2019
Truck Year
They do supply you with a loaner. i got a 2020 ram 1500 big horn for the 10 days i was out.

CCW

Jun 11, 2019
Truck Year
Awesome, thanks for providing this! Should be helpful as backup in case I get pushback from Chrysler. I made several calls to the dealer, Ecodiesel Hotline and Chrysler Customer Care yesterday - both dealer and Hotline just referred me to the Chrysler Care 800-247-9753. At first the Chrysler Care folks claimed stupidity regarding the info you noted but finally agreed my that my truck has been sitting unrepaired for long enough to assign a case#. Just waiting to be contacted by the case representative now for further discussion. Currently at day#38 with no EGR safety recall solution or repair parts availability for my truck...
FYI - Now on day #52 and my truck is still at the dealer. Also on day #15 of trying to force a buyback. They wrote up my original case wrong and it took 8 days for a case manager to respond only to find out she was not the right person. Opened a second case a week ago, but still waiting for the new case manager to respond. Calling Chrysler Customer care every day trying to get a response - have to go through the first level folks every time since they won't give me a phone number or last name of the case manager. This is the worst customer service ever!

Averia

Jan 16, 2020
Truck Year
I just got a letter in the mail specifying that the new AEM was released in Dec 2019 to address "a small percentage" of users reporting problems. Guess FCA takes pointers from the MSM as far as word choice. It goes on to acknowledge even with the latest update there is a lag in tip in throttle when cold and that low speed driving will result in poorer fuel economy and that generally fuel economy may be lower (after you distill for the BS YMMV statements).

One of the dealers I called mentioned that the update had an opt out provision and that they could clear the recall from the VIN. Hope this was the case. They mentioned the safety issue in the acceleration delay.

If there was a 4WD dyno ( I have a JGC) near me I would get gladly pay to get a documented value before going to the dealership and then again after the visit. That way if the value changed appreciably that would provide documentation for a case separate from emissions related.

CCW

Jun 11, 2019
Truck Year
I just got a letter in the mail specifying that the new AEM was released in Dec 2019 to address "a small percentage" of users reporting problems. Guess FCA takes pointers from the MSM as far as word choice. It goes on to acknowledge even with the latest update there is a lag in tip in throttle when cold and that low speed driving will result in poorer fuel economy and that generally fuel economy may be lower (after you distill for the BS YMMV statements).

One of the dealers I called mentioned that the update had an opt out provision and that they could clear the recall from the VIN. Hope this was the case. They mentioned the safety issue in the acceleration delay.

If there was a 4WD dyno ( I have a JGC) near me I would get gladly pay to get a documented value before going to the dealership and then again after the visit. That way if the value changed appreciably that would provide documentation for a case separate from emissions related.
I got the same letter and came to a similar conclusion. This is FCA's carefully worded way of admitting that the original AEM tune was a piece of garbage and clearly has caused enough customer complaints that they had to address it. I will probably request my dealer to apply this December update to my truck since the gas mileage and cold engine drivability is already in the crapper due to the original AEM tune...got nothing to lose at this point...

Stewart

Sep 4, 2019
Truck Year
That is pretty funny, a small percentage report a throttle lag! I wonder what that number is, maybe 98%?

I think I have about the same confidence in this fix as I did in the first one. I can't see how the dealers could delete the original one since that would put FCA back in the situation of having vehicles out of compliance. They also need to get on the stick with fixing the EGR cooler or else issue us Nascar fireproof suits to drive in.

Maybe in the long haul sucking it up and doing a buyback would have been a better decision for them.

CMvet

Nov 1, 2019
Truck Year
Anyone have the new update installed yet? Curious if there is any improvement in performance.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
That is pretty funny, a small percentage report a throttle lag! I wonder what that number is, maybe 98%?

I think I have about the same confidence in this fix as I did in the first one. I can't see how the dealers could delete the original one since that would put FCA back in the situation of having vehicles out of compliance. They also need to get on the stick with fixing the EGR cooler or else issue us Nascar fireproof suits to drive in.

Maybe in the long haul sucking it up and doing a buyback would have been a better decision for them.

Its common place to update latest versions, No maker has any idea what will happen in large scale updates. We also do not know What the latest update changes, My guess it just re-maps the APPS to better manage shift and fueling patterns.

Also the Courts Ordered FCA to monitor the AEM. To many filed complaints and FCA will have the Court revisiting the Matter.

CCW

Jun 11, 2019
Truck Year

FYI - FCA is resisting any notions of buyback even if it is legally justified. I have raised two separate cases and been trying to force buyback of my truck since Jan 2 (It has been in the dealer shop for EGR cooler issue and exhaust leak for 58 days and counting) . So far nothing but frustration and waisted time/effort. First level customer care folks are completely clueless when it comes to Ecodiesel stuff and you have to go through them every time to open a case or check on status...you can't speak directly with case manager unless they call you which never happens.

EGR cooler/repair is a big problem right now. Still no official "fix" available yet and current design replacement parts are severely constrained - Took my dealer 48 days to get replacement cooler (current NG design). That is finally fixed, but now they're chasing an exhaust leak...FYI - believe it or not in order to replace the turbo gaskets they need to lift the cab off the chassis (you heard that right). I'm sure that will go flawlessly...

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Averia, 120.000 @ $450.00 =$54,000.000.00

Plus the EGR is AECD and requires certifying for the maker.

Ram For Life

May 25, 2019
Truck Year
Anyone have the new update installed yet? Curious if there is any improvement in performance.
I refuse to get it, I don’t want to give up my GDE tune, and I do not have a back up ECM to swap out for the update. The GDE tune electronically bypasses the EGR valve. I have been checking it and it shows no signs of leaking.

Averia

Jan 16, 2020
Truck Year
I am in CA and I am curious if they are actually forcing the AEM. In that case having a spare ECM would be nice - since they are reprogramming it anyway.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
According to the AEM docs, California will not register the truck without proof of the update. We are assuming this will take place when the AEM process ends/