• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

W58 Recall help

Gommy

Feb 22, 2021
Truck Year
Hi, I am new to the forum. HELP!! I have 123k miles on my 2015 Ram 1500 Longhorn EcoDiesel and it's been a great vehicle until we had an unusual Winter storm in Texas this past week. My truck would turn over but it wouldn't fire. I had a brand new battery installed and a new fuel filter. To no avail it still wouldn't start. I had it towed to a dealership. I was told that the "Tone Wheel" needs to be replaced. I asked what that was and what the repair entailed and was told that it was a wheel attached to the crankshaft and that it was a major repair that entailed the transmission having to be pulled. I was told that I had some outstanding recall issues that needed to be performed and was asked how long I could be without my truck. Considering it is my only vehicle and I have been without it for just over a week now and I am stranded two hours from home with five dogs, not very long. The service rep told me if I could wait a couple of weeks for the recall work to be approved, he could save me some money on the repair because one of the recall notices involves dropping the transmission and they could replace the part at that time since dropping the transmission would be covered under a recall item. I asked him for price o the repair without recall work vs. price with recall work and that I would weigh the savings with recall work vs cost of rental car for two weeks. He came back and told me that the repair would be over $1700+. I asked what I would save by doing the recall work at this time and he I wouldn't save anything because my repair wasn't covered under my recall item. (Scratching my head...I said then lets just do the repair now since I need my vehicle and not the recall work at this time because I don't want to be without my vehicle two more weeks.) He then tells me he can get the part for my $1700+ repair and all of the recall work including the repair can be in the next four days. This was at the close of business. I was exhausted after a long wrecker ride and hanging out at the dealership all day. I go back to where I am stranded with my dogs an hour away and look up my VIN to see what the recall items were and I find that I have a recall that sounds very similar to the $1700+ repair involving the tone wheel with the same symptoms that I encountered when my truck wouldn't start.

This is one of my recall items that is similar to the repair the service rep described.

Manufacturer Recall NumberW58
NHTSA Recall Number20V-475
Recall StatusRecall Incomplete
SummaryThe magnetic material attached to the tone wheel provides a signal to the crankshaft position sensor. If this signal material is lost, the engine loses its ability to synchronize injector pulses and cam timing. This loss of crankshaft position can result in an engine stall, as well as loss of the ability to restart the engine.

I am a 57 year old grandmother and this is so unfamiliar territory to me. Can someone explain how and if this recall issue relates to replacing my tone wheel?

I appreciate any feedback whatsoever!!

wsonnenb

Feb 23, 2021
Truck Year
Gommy,
The reluctor wheel or tone wheel is a disc with magnetic material that is read by the crankshaft sensor. It tells the computer the rpm's. Without it, the engine will not run. This has been a known problem, and was the subject of the August recall. There are two solutions. The easiest is to re-flash the computer to allow it to use a different sensor in a different location to tell the rpm's to the computer and the engine can still run if the tone wheel isn't functioning.
I just had this re-flash done as the W58 recall. It involves 0.3 hours of labor, so quick and easy. The re-flash has been available for a week or two, so your dealer may not be familiar with it. Go to Mopar.com and NHTSA and verify that your VIN is part of it. That would allow your truck to be driven for a while, to let the dealer order a tone wheel, and do the more involved repair. It would also allow them to do any other re-flashes that may have stacked up for your truck. With the re-flash done you could have your truck immediately and they could let you know when to come back.

A 69 year old grandfather.

Haviball

Feb 24, 2021
Truck Year
Gommy, I just had the W58 recall work completed. I experienced the engine stall going 70 mph on the highway. Coasted to a stop on the shoulder and could not restart the truck. If your tone wheel has lost the metallic strip then you will have to get it replaced. This does involve dropping the transmission. My event occurred in October and the repair parts just became available and i got my tuck back 2 weeks ago. The sensor re-flash that wsonnenb is talking about above would be done if you havent already experienced the tone wheels magnetic strip flakin off.
Very dissatisfied customer!!

SJK

Aug 19, 2018
Truck Year
Gommy, I just had the W58 recall work completed. I experienced the engine stall going 70 mph on the highway. Coasted to a stop on the shoulder and could not restart the truck. If your tone wheel has lost the metallic strip then you will have to get it replaced. This does involve dropping the transmission. My event occurred in October and the repair parts just became available and i got my tuck back 2 weeks ago. The sensor re-flash that wsonnenb is talking about above would be done if you havent already experienced the tone wheels magnetic strip flakin off.
So if I get the flash and then the tone ring goes bad (1) who pays to replace the tone ring (2) or will it not be necessary?

Haviball

Feb 24, 2021
Truck Year
So if I get the flash and then the tone ring goes bad (1) who pays to replace the tone ring (2) or will it not be necessary?
The new flash sensor will look at something other than the magnetic strip on the tone wheel. So yes it will not be necessary. Also, see wsonnenb post above for good explanation.

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
To all
The W58 recall is not a "fix" for tone wheel delimitation. The W58 flash is just supposed to keep the engine running long enough to pull to the side of the road as a safety measure. Once you turn the vehicle off it will not restart. It is only for immediate safety.
There may or may not be a redesigned part coming in the future and it may or may not be the subject of a defective part recall.
Right now if your tone ring fails it may be covered under extended warranty

Gommy

Feb 22, 2021
Truck Year
Thank you all for explaining all of these explanations...you have provided much more information than what I have been given by anyone associated with the dealership or the corporation. I am beginning to think I am still not getting the right story from the dealer.

Prior to seeing all of your feedback, I called the dealership again to confirm that they wanted to charge me $1700+ for a tone wheel replacement ("stripped out tone wheel" according to the service advisor) regardless of whether I allowed them to perform the W58 recall. The advisor explained to me that the W58 was only a software update that would not fix my problem because the tone wheel was stripped out. I hadn't driven my truck for four days prior to it not starting so I couldn't figure out how this tone wheel would have gotten stripped out just setting in my garage for four days when my truck was running just fine when I drove it last. I asked the service advisor what code the technician had gotten to diagnose that the wheel was stripped out and needed to be replaced. He got the technician on the phone. Come to find out the technician said he didn't get a specific code in his diagnostics, that he deduced that the metallic strip on the tone wheel had flaked off because the scan indicated the fuel pump was getting fuel to the injectors, the injectors just weren't getting the signal via the metallic strip as to which cylinder to fire to, which was why my truck wasn't starting. In listening to the technician explain the issue it seemed to be the exact issue addressed in recall W58 that I had read about online. The advisor still insisted that the $1700+ repair had to be done because the W58 recall was just a software update. I told him at that point not to do any recalls that something was not adding up to me. I asked for Mopar Customer Care. I spoke with Mopar Customer Care (MCC) and explained the situation and they looked at my recalls and indicated that recall W58 should fix the issue I was having and my truck should start and be just fine. I reiterated to MCC that I had confirmed not once but twice with the service advisor that my truck would not drive without the $1700+ repair they recommended, regardless of whether or not I had the recalls performed but they were very interested in doing the recalls while performing the $1700+ repair. MCC then contacted the service advisor with the dealer. After talking to the service advisor MCC told me it sounded like the $1700+ repair the dealership was recommending was what the W58 recall would fix. MCC said the service advisor told her that I wouldn't allow him to do the recall and that is why the dealership was going to charge me the $1700+ for the repair. Which I verified with him twice before calling MCC that the recalls would have no bearing on fixing the problem they wanted to perform the $1700+ repair on.

MCC then recommended to me that I allow the dealer to perform the W58-recall and if that doesn't make the truck start then they would know for sure if the metallic strip had flaked off. If it was determined that the metallic strip had flaked off after performing the W58, that the replacement of the tone wheel should be covered under the recall. The MCC rep and I discussed the other pending recalls I had and she advised that the only recall that was going to help with my current issue is the W58 and that if I allowed the dealership to perform that one recall item, it should rectify the problem I was experiencing.

I called back the service advisor at the dealership and confirmed the conversation that the MCC had with him. He agreed that the W58 would rectify the problem and asked if I wanted the other recalls performed. I told him no. He confirmed that I didn't want the V-08 recall performed and I told him that I didn't because of all the issues I had heard about other owners having after the V-08 was performed and that MCC had told me that the only recall item associated with my particular service issue was the W-58 recall.

An hour or so later I received a call from the service manager that explained to me that I really needed to have the V-08 performed. I explained to him that the MCC rep told me that they should be able to get my truck going once the W-58 was performed. He said the reason it is so important that the V-08 recall be performed is that it would extend my warranty. I told him my truck already had over 100k miles and I didn't believe that I would benefit from the warranty extension. He told me he would get the exact information about the extended warranty I would get for the V-08 recall. He said that my warranty would be good for four years or 48,000 miles from the mileage and date that the V-08 recall was performed and that would allow them to cover EVERYTHING if they got in there and found bad fuel injectors, crankshaft, etc that they could possibly run into when performing the repair with the exception of a reductor ring (sp?) that is about $42 that is not covered by ANY recall or the extended warranty that would be provided by the V-08 recall, so instead of me paying $1700+ I would be out approximately $42 for that ring and 1 hour of labor ($155) and the sales tax, so I was looking at no more than $210-220 out of pocket out the door if the dealership performed both recalls (W-58 and V-08) at this time. At that point approximately $200 sounded better to me than the $1700+.

In short, after reading the comments from all of you above, it sounds like W58 should have fixed my problem of my truck not starting, because obviously the teeth on the wheel were not stripped out so no reason for the dealership to even physically do any repair to get my truck running...without performing the V-08 or me spending the $210-220? At this point, I am mentally exhausted from having been stranded away from home with 5 dogs for 11 days without a vehicle, so I am ready to be done with this headache.

wsonnenb

Feb 23, 2021
Truck Year
Gommy,
Tell them to perform the free W58, which is a 15 minute computer re-flash, then have them report back to you if the truck runs.

If it runs, then you can decide on the V-08 re-flash. That is something you'll need to read up on. It re-calibrates the emissions/engine patterns to more closely comply with emissions regulations that FCA mislead the EPA and paid penalties and issued significant warranty extensions based on a nationwide class action case in federal court.

People have differing opinions whether the V-08 is worth it. Most did the work (I did) and received money (up to $3,000) and the warranty. It is 10 years from the truck's original in-service date or 4 years from the re-flash, whichever is longer. The money may have been claimed by a former owner, but probably not if the dealer and MCC show the re-flash was not done on your truck. You might be eligible for money and years of warranty that covers a lot, but not the entire engine. Don't wait too long to get the V-08 done, if you intend to. The time may have run out or would soon. Talk to MCC about these re-flashes. The W58 may incorporate the V-08. In other words you may not be able to get one without the other. If the W58 includes the V-08, you might as well get the money and the warranty.

Read up on ram1500diesel.com, which is another forum that speaks to all of this.

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Thank you all for explaining all of these explanations...you have provided much more information than what I have been given by anyone associated with the dealership or the corporation. I am beginning to think I am still not getting the right story from the dealer.

Prior to seeing all of your feedback, I called the dealership again to confirm that they wanted to charge me $1700+ for a tone wheel replacement ("stripped out tone wheel" according to the service advisor) regardless of whether I allowed them to perform the W58 recall. The advisor explained to me that the W58 was only a software update that would not fix my problem because the tone wheel was stripped out. I hadn't driven my truck for four days prior to it not starting so I couldn't figure out how this tone wheel would have gotten stripped out just setting in my garage for four days when my truck was running just fine when I drove it last. I asked the service advisor what code the technician had gotten to diagnose that the wheel was stripped out and needed to be replaced. He got the technician on the phone. Come to find out the technician said he didn't get a specific code in his diagnostics, that he deduced that the metallic strip on the tone wheel had flaked off because the scan indicated the fuel pump was getting fuel to the injectors, the injectors just weren't getting the signal via the metallic strip as to which cylinder to fire to, which was why my truck wasn't starting. In listening to the technician explain the issue it seemed to be the exact issue addressed in recall W58 that I had read about online. The advisor still insisted that the $1700+ repair had to be done because the W58 recall was just a software update. I told him at that point not to do any recalls that something was not adding up to me. I asked for Mopar Customer Care. I spoke with Mopar Customer Care (MCC) and explained the situation and they looked at my recalls and indicated that recall W58 should fix the issue I was having and my truck should start and be just fine. I reiterated to MCC that I had confirmed not once but twice with the service advisor that my truck would not drive without the $1700+ repair they recommended, regardless of whether or not I had the recalls performed but they were very interested in doing the recalls while performing the $1700+ repair. MCC then contacted the service advisor with the dealer. After talking to the service advisor MCC told me it sounded like the $1700+ repair the dealership was recommending was what the W58 recall would fix. MCC said the service advisor told her that I wouldn't allow him to do the recall and that is why the dealership was going to charge me the $1700+ for the repair. Which I verified with him twice before calling MCC that the recalls would have no bearing on fixing the problem they wanted to perform the $1700+ repair on.

MCC then recommended to me that I allow the dealer to perform the W58-recall and if that doesn't make the truck start then they would know for sure if the metallic strip had flaked off. If it was determined that the metallic strip had flaked off after performing the W58, that the replacement of the tone wheel should be covered under the recall. The MCC rep and I discussed the other pending recalls I had and she advised that the only recall that was going to help with my current issue is the W58 and that if I allowed the dealership to perform that one recall item, it should rectify the problem I was experiencing.

I called back the service advisor at the dealership and confirmed the conversation that the MCC had with him. He agreed that the W58 would rectify the problem and asked if I wanted the other recalls performed. I told him no. He confirmed that I didn't want the V-08 recall performed and I told him that I didn't because of all the issues I had heard about other owners having after the V-08 was performed and that MCC had told me that the only recall item associated with my particular service issue was the W-58 recall.

An hour or so later I received a call from the service manager that explained to me that I really needed to have the V-08 performed. I explained to him that the MCC rep told me that they should be able to get my truck going once the W-58 was performed. He said the reason it is so important that the V-08 recall be performed is that it would extend my warranty. I told him my truck already had over 100k miles and I didn't believe that I would benefit from the warranty extension. He told me he would get the exact information about the extended warranty I would get for the V-08 recall. He said that my warranty would be good for four years or 48,000 miles from the mileage and date that the V-08 recall was performed and that would allow them to cover EVERYTHING if they got in there and found bad fuel injectors, crankshaft, etc that they could possibly run into when performing the repair with the exception of a reductor ring (sp?) that is about $42 that is not covered by ANY recall or the extended warranty that would be provided by the V-08 recall, so instead of me paying $1700+ I would be out approximately $42 for that ring and 1 hour of labor ($155) and the sales tax, so I was looking at no more than $210-220 out of pocket out the door if the dealership performed both recalls (W-58 and V-08) at this time. At that point approximately $200 sounded better to me than the $1700+.

In short, after reading the comments from all of you above, it sounds like W58 should have fixed my problem of my truck not starting, because obviously the teeth on the wheel were not stripped out so no reason for the dealership to even physically do any repair to get my truck running...without performing the V-08 or me spending the $210-220? At this point, I am mentally exhausted from having been stranded away from home with 5 dogs for 11 days without a vehicle, so I am ready to be done with this headache.
Unless your truck is tuned why would you not want the recalls done?

MRorange

Jul 26, 2020
Truck Year
Hello, Im here to do some research and came across this thread. I received recall VO8 and also read about what other people thought after getting the recall fixed, A lot of mixed thoughts. I gambled and had it done and have no problems. After the recall I submitted all the paperwork for the lawsuit and received $3075.00. Now I receive another recall W58 Crankshaft position delaminating causing a stall. The solution is to do a computer update to override the part. My question is why dont they replace the part, better yet why even have the part if it can be overridden. And last is the computer flash good for ever and we don't need the part?

Gommy

Feb 22, 2021
Truck Year
Gommy,
Tell them to perform the free W58, which is a 15 minute computer re-flash, then have them report back to you if the truck runs.

If it runs, then you can decide on the V-08 re-flash. That is something you'll need to read up on. It re-calibrates the emissions/engine patterns to more closely comply with emissions regulations that FCA mislead the EPA and paid penalties and issued significant warranty extensions based on a nationwide class action case in federal court.

People have differing opinions whether the V-08 is worth it. Most did the work (I did) and received money (up to $3,000) and the warranty. It is 10 years from the truck's original in-service date or 4 years from the re-flash, whichever is longer. The money may have been claimed by a former owner, but probably not if the dealer and MCC show the re-flash was not done on your truck. You might be eligible for money and years of warranty that covers a lot, but not the entire engine. Don't wait too long to get the V-08 done, if you intend to. The time may have run out or would soon. Talk to MCC about these re-flashes. The W58 may incorporate the V-08. In other words you may not be able to get one without the other. If the W58 includes the V-08, you might as well get the money and the warranty.

Read up on ram1500diesel.com, which is another forum that speaks to all of this.
Thank you. I wasn't aware that the Class Action Lawsuit for the V-08 recall had been settled until I was reviewing the recalls for my vehicle Tuesday. I never received a notice that the lawsuit had been settled. I went ahead and filed the claim for the V-08 recall Tuesday afternoon after talking to the service manager, who convinced me that the extended warranty would take effect after the V-08 was performed and that the warranty would cover everything major for 4 years or 48000 miles after the recall was performed, except that reductor ring that would cost about $42 and the labor for it to be installed being a total of $220 tops.

The service manager led me to believe that the W58 would have to be performed to get the newly installed reductor ring to work properly and without the V-08 being performed before the replacement of the reductor ring, I would be out for the labor of dropping the transmission to install the ring. He said without the V-08 being performed I would incur the $1700+ repair charge, but I explained to him in talking to the Mopar Consumer Care rep, that she led me to believe that the only recall I needed to have performed associated with the Tone Wheel issue I was having was the W-58 recall and that if my vehicle didn't start after having the W-58 performed that the repair to replace the Tone Wheel would then be approved under the recall W58 and I would be out no expense for the repair to replace the tone wheel. MIND YOU...At this point I had been going back and forth between the service advisor, the Mopar rep and now the service manager for at least six hours that day and I had spent the entire prior day riding in the tow truck starting at 9am to the dealership an hour away from where I was stranded and spending all that day until closing time to get the diagnosis of what was wrong with my vehicle. So at that point I am realizing I am spinning my wheels and getting nowhere fast in getting my vehicle repaired that I have been stranded without for 10 days at this point. The service manager disagreed with what I understood the Mopar rep to tell me, he convinced me that I would still have to pay for the $1700+ repair and that the best scenario for me to avoid paying the $1700+ would be to have the W-58 and V-08 performed and be guaranteed that I would only pay the approximately $220 to get out the door and have any and all issues addressed at once and get my vehicle back by this Friday afternoon. Considering I was stranded away from home at that point for 10 days with five dogs and no other means of transportation during that time I was desperate to get my vehicle fixed as soon as possible without incurring anymore expenses than I possibly could and get back home. The service manager assured me that my vehicle would be ready this coming Friday and EVERYTHING would be fixed for no more than $220 if I had the two recalls performed.

I am a single 57 year old grandmother that is not a vehicle mechanic so all of this stuff is very foreign to me, so this whole ordeal has worn me to a frazzle to say the least.

Last edited:

Gommy

Feb 22, 2021
Truck Year
Gommy,
The reluctor wheel or tone wheel is a disc with magnetic material that is read by the crankshaft sensor. It tells the computer the rpm's. Without it, the engine will not run. This has been a known problem, and was the subject of the August recall. There are two solutions. The easiest is to re-flash the computer to allow it to use a different sensor in a different location to tell the rpm's to the computer and the engine can still run if the tone wheel isn't functioning.
I just had this re-flash done as the W58 recall. It involves 0.3 hours of labor, so quick and easy. The re-flash has been available for a week or two, so your dealer may not be familiar with it. Go to Mopar.com and NHTSA and verify that your VIN is part of it. That would allow your truck to be driven for a while, to let the dealer order a tone wheel, and do the more involved repair. It would also allow them to do any other re-flashes that may have stacked up for your truck. With the re-flash done you could have your truck immediately and they could let you know when to come back.

A 69 year old grandfather.
Thank you wsonnenb! I wished I had seen your post early yesterday morning when I was going back and forth with the service advisor, Mopar Consumer Care and the service manager at the dealership. Nobody really explained to me exactly what specifically that the W58 entailed...according to the service advisor at the dealership he said recall W58 was a software update that had to be performed after a new tone wheel is installed. According to the Mopar customer care rep that didn't tell me what the W58 procedure entailed, just that the W58 recall had to be performed and if my vehicle didn't start after the W58 was performed that the repair would then be approved to replace the tone wheel leading me to believe that the W58 recall was the fix to start my vehicle and avoid spending $1700+ for a repair. According to the service manager at the dealership after I called them back to go ahead and perform the W58 recall, he said I misunderstood the Mopar rep and that the V-08 had to be performed to instate the extended warranty and cover the $1700+ repair and that the W58 recall would reprogram the new tone wheel and that if I did these things my total expense would be approximately $220 and not $1700+ and that I would have my vehicle by Friday afternoon. That sounded like the best resolution to get me back on the road and get me home at that point.

wsonnenb

Feb 23, 2021
Truck Year
MRorange and Gommy,

I just did some checking, and the V08 recall deadline for submission is May 3. This entails having the re-flash done and submitting copies of the repair order and some notarized forms. If you are the original owner, you'd get $3075 and the extended warranty that covers much of the engine and related parts for 10 years from the truck's in-service date or 4 years from the V08 re-flash. Many owners had problems with performance after the V08, so another re-flash called VA7 was issued to improve engine performance. Mine was always fine, but I've done all the recalls.
The W58 is independent of all that and again is a re-flash to allow the truck to run if the reluctor/tone wheel has problems. Someone has posted that the W58 only permits the engine to run a brief time following a reluctor problem. I have no information if this is a brief fix, or more permanent. The reason the company is avoiding actually replacing the reluctor wheel, is it's an expensive fix that requires disconnecting the transmission to get at the $42 part. Several have written that their reluctor wheel was replaced free. My local dealer said they've done one and it involved removing the truck cab. That's a little hard to believe, but if they got paid to do the work, I guess they didn't care.

wsonnenb

Feb 23, 2021
Truck Year
While you guys are learning about recalls, best to check on VB1 that replaces your EGR cooler, again for free. The cooler is prone to leaking coolant into the engine intake manifold, and that can cause an engine fire that will burn the truck to the ground. There have been some of these fully engulfed vehicles shown on the internet, so I'd try to get that done sometime, too.

Gommy

Feb 22, 2021
Truck Year
MRorange and Gommy,

I just did some checking, and the V08 recall deadline for submission is May 3. This entails having the re-flash done and submitting copies of the repair order and some notarized forms. If you are the original owner, you'd get $3075 and the extended warranty that covers much of the engine and related parts for 10 years from the truck's in-service date or 4 years from the V08 re-flash. Many owners had problems with performance after the V08, so another re-flash called VA7 was issued to improve engine performance. Mine was always fine, but I've done all the recalls.
The W58 is independent of all that and again is a re-flash to allow the truck to run if the reluctor/tone wheel has problems. Someone has posted that the W58 only permits the engine to run a brief time following a reluctor problem. I have no information if this is a brief fix, or more permanent. The reason the company is avoiding actually replacing the reluctor wheel, is it's an expensive fix that requires disconnecting the transmission to get at the $42 part. Several have written that their reluctor wheel was replaced free. My local dealer said they've done one and it involved removing the truck cab. That's a little hard to believe, but if they got paid to do the work, I guess they didn't care.
Thanks so much for your post wsonnenb. I did file my claim for the V08 earlier this week hoping that the approximate $3k would offset my expenses and frustrations for being without a vehicle for two plus weeks. I am now being told my vehicle wouldn't be available until Monday now.

After finding out what you and others have shared on this forum, it appears that my vehicle could have been up and running with the W58 refresh in as little as half an hour and I could be down the road and not going on over two weeks now waiting. The way the Mopar rep explained it to me earlier this week was that the W58 would fix the problem with the tone wheel and if it didn't get me running that any other repair associated with that part would be approved and repaired under the recall.

I called the Mopar rep today to update her that the dealership still insisted on performing the other recalls in addition to the W58 and I was going to be out $220 on top of a rental car and all of the other inconveniences. She then said that was a good idea to get the other recalls performed and that she expected the dealership was trying to exercise the options that are the most economical and beneficial to me. I asked her how that could be when they initially told me my repair would be over $1700 after I had already been without a vehicle over a week, and only offering to do recalls (that I was told would take an additional two weeks initially) after the shocking sticker price of the repair. I told her I was very disappointed to find out (from the forum and not Ram) they could do the refresh on the W-58 recall (as she had recommended earlier in the week) taking only a half hour and I could have had my truck running this past Monday. However, I was afoot for over two weeks and I have been out the expense of other parts troubleshooting this problem before getting the dealership involved. As far as the dealership exercising options that are beneficial to me, it seems the most beneficial option to me would be offering to perform the W-58 recall on Monday when they knew there was an issue with the tone wheel instead of flat out telling me I had a $1700+ repair and not sharing with me that I had a recall item that would fix the issue in 30 minutes at no expense to me. Instead, they have commandeered a situation now that allows them to be compensated by the manufacturer for a V-08 recall and a W-58 recall besides being compensated by me for approximately $220. Meanwhile, I was afoot without my vehicle for another week with no ride until yesterday and now the expense of a rental car at least until next Monday and no guarantees then of getting my vehicle. My vehicle was perfect until having this ONE ISSUE in 5.5 years. I have great concern about other issues I may face as a result of them "tearing down" my vehicle to replace the tone wheel that essentially doesn't appear to need to be replaced if what I am understanding from this forum is correct. I travel over 24k miles a year, mostly alone and with my dogs. For my own safety and welfare I cannot afford to be stranded again like this and it has been so needless that it has been strung out as long as it has been.

Thanks again for being a sounding board. I really appreciate all of your feedback. You have all educated me about these recalls and the pros and cons of navigating through these issues.

Gommy

Feb 22, 2021
Truck Year
Unless your truck is tuned why would you not want the recalls done?
I have been hesitant about having the V08 recall performed because I haven't had ANY issues with my truck for 5.5 years until now and I have read many complaints on various forums about degraded fuel efficiency and other issues experienced by consumers as a result of the V08 recall. My thinking in not having the V08 performed until this point was that even without the $3000 cash compensation and extended warranty, I would probably be better off down the road not messing with the emissions since my truck was running like a fine tuned machine! My philosophy is "don't fix it if it ain't broke!" I was pressured/strongly encouraged by the dealer to go through with the V08 and W58 recalls earlier this week, so I have done so. I do sincerely hope this isn't a decision that I am going to regret in the days ahead.

Gommy

Feb 22, 2021
Truck Year
Thanks for your post. I am sorry for your experience and I am very thankful I wasn't out on the road when my truck had shut down, although I was away from home with five big dogs and no vehicle for over two weeks, which does seem minor compared to you being without your vehicle for almost four months. I would have to break down and buy another vehicle if that was my case. I hope you talked to Mopar Consumer Care, so they may reimburse you for some of your expenses and inconvenience.

Ihenriques

May 14, 2021
Truck Year
Thanks for your post. I am sorry for your experience and I am very thankful I wasn't out on the road when my truck had shut down, although I was away from home with five big dogs and no vehicle for over two weeks, which does seem minor compared to you being without your vehicle for almost four months. I would have to break down and buy another vehicle if that was my case. I hope you talked to Mopar Consumer Care, so they may reimburse you for some of your expenses and inconvenience.
Hi!! Same happened to me... driving along highway "oil pressure" light flashed on and off 10 minutes later a was on the shoulder stalled. Checked oil level and it was fine. Took it to my mechanic who says engine has seized need to replace entire thing. Hadn't received the August'20 recall notice. Mechanic says it's something to do with crankshaft and fix is to replace entire motor. Wondering if it could be related to the recall. Debating if it's worth my time to take it into dodge and have them assess it. I see that the crankshaft recall says that the vehicle will stall and not turn back on... Dodge Ram 1500 from 2015...

Gommy

Feb 22, 2021
Truck Year
Hi!! Same happened to me... driving along highway "oil pressure" light flashed on and off 10 minutes later a was on the shoulder stalled. Checked oil level and it was fine. Took it to my mechanic who says engine has seized need to replace entire thing. Hadn't received the August'20 recall notice. Mechanic says it's something to do with crankshaft and fix is to replace entire motor. Wondering if it could be related to the recall. Debating if it's worth my time to take it into dodge and have them assess it. I see that the crankshaft recall says that the vehicle will stall and not turn back on... Dodge Ram 1500 from 2015...

That doesn't sound like the particular problem that I had with that tone wheel code delimitation. It had nothing to deal with the engine seizing, it just wouldn't start. It was turning over, just not firing. You might go back through your recalls on your vehicle and see if there are any recalls that have to deal with your particular situation like the loss of oil pressure. That sounds like a very costly repair to replace the engine, especially if you have been getting your oil changed regularly and the oil level was good. How many miles are on your vehicle? I would think it would be worth a tow to a dealership to get it checked out and diagnosed properly.

They won't charge you to diagnose or tell you what the problem is. I had a general mechanic (non-mopar) hook mine up to a diagnostic computer and he didn't have the codes to assist him in diagnosing the cause of my breakdown, so I ended up towing my truck to a dealership an hour away after replacing the battery and the fuel pump and it still not starting.

The Mopar tech said that there wasn't a code for my particular issue, but he knew from experience from the codes that were being thrown and the symptoms of my breakdown that it was the "tone wheel delamination". The dealership advisor was trying to get me to commit to a charge of $1700+ for them to perform the tone wheel replacement in addition to them performing the outstanding recalls. I am a 57 year old grandma and unfortunately, I feel like the service group at the dealership were counting on my ignorance to pay them for the repair AND for Mopar Care to reimburse them for the recalls (including the W58) that were identical to my recommended repair. Once I read the recalls that I had outstanding and recognized that one recall exactly matched the repair they were trying to charge me $1700+ for, I contacted Mopar Customer Service and got them involved. Mopar Customer Service ended up covering ALL of my repair expenses and rental car expenses. It was a lot of headache dealing with the dealership and being without a vehicle for over three weeks and not knowing until the day I picked up my vehicle what was going to happen financially, but I have heard from other owners that were without their vehicle for four months and some have even paid the repairs that should have been covered under their recall notices. I was fortunate!

You may find out that your engine isn't seized and that it is the tone wheel code not being picked up by the device that tells the fuel injectors which cylinders to fire to. I would encourage you to get the recalls done (no expense) before committing to a huge expense.

Good luck and please keep us up to date about what you find out.