• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Low oil pressure

Mayet1

Oct 26, 2021
Truck Year
I didnt call you but you are right on the warranty.

Has anyone out there looked at or has pics of the oil pump on this engine? Is it a vane type ?

Augiedoggy

Aug 18, 2021
Truck Year
I didnt call you but you are right on the warranty.

Has anyone out there looked at or has pics of the oil pump on this engine? Is it a vane type ?
out of curiousity... what is the mileage on your engine?

Jean-Pierre Seguin

Mar 31, 2018
Truck Year
The gage on the dash display doesn’t actually read “ true oil pressure “ ,unless there is a kit installed to measure actual oil pressure. The dash display or factory display is an algorithm of many factor’s processed in the main computer system. That’s why I got a mechanical gage to screw into the oil pressure switch port to check actual/true oil pressure vs the misleading algorithm that’s displayed on the engine data. Maybe that’s why there could be so many engine failures because the factory data isn’t actually the real pressure , so it might be a good idea to install the kit, available from Green Diesel . It’s misleading Be careful….
I fully agree with you! Blow my engine because oil pressure in the dash was good but in reality no oil was going to engine. Oil pump was defective. The algorithm doesn’t reflect low oil pressure. Be careful! The best option is to install an external gage.

Micahbarnard

Dec 25, 2020
Truck Year
LMBO at dealership comment, be prepared in advance, it's just fine no need to worry. Do OA to confirm the engine may have Puking in the near future. The picture below is My live gage cold at 1200RPMs. Mayet1 don't drive until you confirm what's up, or while you're at the Dealership trade it in.

View attachment 3654

View attachment 3655
I like your setup TC, was this involved to install? How much did it cost?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
The fittings are unique, In the picture I had to use an adpaper to the Tee Fitting and re-thread the new isolator sending unit. That was back in 2016. I think Thier's aftermarket kits now available, much less effort.

Ramman1

Jun 7, 2019
Truck Year
Hi Folks
Recently my low oil pressure warning light came on so immediately suspected that the oil pressure switch was defective. I replaced it but still had the same issue so I bought a Bosch mechanical gage to verify that the oil pump was okay. I had 5+lbs at idle and almost 30lbs at 1800rpm, so the pump is ok. A friend of mine is well versed in diesel so we started checking out other potential issues. Inside the oil filter housing assembly is a plastic of some sort, check valve, a spring with a ball (which is a pressure regulator, we think) and a vent tube on the outside. Called the dealer and the plastic tube is a non-serviceable part so you have to buy the whole housing assembly. Suspect that the plastic may be distorted and that is causing the low oil pressure issue.
After a week of searching…all over Canada and USA, only ONE housing assembly was available to buy, that dealer was in Alaska. This component is on back order everywhere with no eta on a ship date, so if you need one of those, good luck finding one. Does anyone have any other suggestions or ideas of what else could be causing the low oil pressure issue knowing the oil pump is okay??
Todd
5 lbs at idle? That sounds like a disaster waiting to happen, I’m sure you are aware of the rod knock problem due to low oil pressure. I replaced my oil cooler/filter housing due to a leak in that plastic piece you mentioned. Part was readily available though. I’ve heard debris clogging the oil pick up in the pan can restrict the pressure. Hope this helps.

mike@hangar46

Oct 2, 2022
Truck Year
Hi Folks
Recently my low oil pressure warning light came on so immediately suspected that the oil pressure switch was defective. I replaced it but still had the same issue so I bought a Bosch mechanical gage to verify that the oil pump was okay. I had 5+lbs at idle and almost 30lbs at 1800rpm, so the pump is ok. A friend of mine is well versed in diesel so we started checking out other potential issues. Inside the oil filter housing assembly is a plastic of some sort, check valve, a spring with a ball (which is a pressure regulator, we think) and a vent tube on the outside. Called the dealer and the plastic tube is a non-serviceable part so you have to buy the whole housing assembly. Suspect that the plastic may be distorted and that is causing the low oil pressure issue.
After a week of searching…all over Canada and USA, only ONE housing assembly was available to buy, that dealer was in Alaska. This component is on back order everywhere with no eta on a ship date, so if you need one of those, good luck finding one. Does anyone have any other suggestions or ideas of what else could be causing the low oil pressure issue knowing the oil pump is okay??
Todd
were you able to get this resolved? I changed oil yesterday and shortly thereafter go the oil pressure low light, yet the analog pressure guage showed normal...2020 RAM Eco....looked for leaks, oil level, all good. Started this morning and light is gone...Please let me know what your situation turned up. Thanks, mike

robyd

Aug 30, 2021
Truck Year
Engine Puking is when the rotating assembly fails and pukes itself to death either by windowing the block or internally locking up. I develop the term Back in 2015 when 1000s of VM3.0 were failing yearly. I also forecasted it would continue for years, It also has reference to the few puke Moderators over at 1500diesel.XXX, they are 3.0 fanatics and have been trying to silence anyone who points VMs pathetic QC. Its a tie between WHO is the biggest pukes VM or a few Mods at 1500diesel.XXX.. DO not believe 1500deisel.XXX statistics 1000s of members have left that site, Even I am still considered in their ratings, I left and they just banned Me, its an honor to be banned from that pathetic forum:):):):)
The VM 3.0 started in the 2020 model year. So the puking since 2014,was a different motor, right?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
No VM is current maker and started production for Ram in 2014...the engine was designed By GM, VM ,Detroit Diesel. It's original use was for European GM Caddys.. VM has been partially owned GM ,Penske ,Detroit. Fiat....Fait is currently sole owner of VM Motori.

robyd

Aug 30, 2021
Truck Year
No VM is current maker and started production for Ram in 2014...the engine was designed By GM, VM ,Detroit Diesel. It's original use was for European GM Caddys.. VM has been partially owned GM ,Penske ,Detroit. Fiat....Fait is currently sole owner of VM Motori.
I mean the third gen VM motor (3.0 liter is what you meant) started in 2020 and has a good track record so far. The puking in 2014,was earlier version motor.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
No...2020 still puke...the numbers are down because sales #s are down...You can place whatever Gen you want it's the same rotating mass....2014-22. VMs 3.0 2020+ technology is just pushing the repairs farther away from assembly, the same costs will show its ugly head.likely in 4 to 5 years past it production year. The additional hardware for the dual e.g. R's are going to cost owners a considerable more amount to repair in the future in long term ownership.

DATA

Jul 8, 2021
Truck Year
No...2020 still puke...the numbers are down because sales #s are down...You can place whatever Gen you want it's the same rotating mass....2014-22. VMs 3.0 2020+ technology is just pushing the repairs farther away from assembly, the same costs will show its ugly head.likely in 4 to 5 years past it production year. The additional hardware for the dual e.g. R's are going to cost owners a considerable more amount to repair in the future in long term ownership.
Do you think have any earlier eco-diesel with the EGR turned off is a little more reliable than the newer ones?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Definitely. Yes.

DATA

Jul 8, 2021
Truck Year
Definitely. Yes.
So I have another question for you with the EGR shut off do you think it’s OK not to take the EGR assembly off of the vehicle as long as you watch do you water and is it OK to run the DEF system so you don’t have a bunch of smoke? Thank you again

mike@hangar46

Oct 2, 2022
Truck Year
I had the same issue on my 2020 Eco diesel. The problem was that I hadn’t lubed up the oil filter and it wasn’t fully seated. Reseated it and pressure goes from 20-70 psi
So I had a low pressure light issue. However I did oil O rings and torqued to 18.8 ft/lbs. Dealers mechanic drove the truck to get it to 212F…then service writer claims I ruined engine and wants me to pay $20K for a new one, and my warranty AND bumper to bumper fully paid insurance (purchased at same dealer)will not pay, cuz I changed the oil and filter myself. Any defenses known for this? Service writer didn’t seem to care that I’m a licensed aircraft engine mechanic with inspection authorization.