• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2016 Ecodiesel catastrophic engine failure

fcolella

Mar 30, 2021
Truck Year
Well, good morning everyone.
Last Sunday, my wife was driving our 2016 Ecodiesel when a warning flashed for her to stop. She did and the engine immediately shut down and would not start again. When I got there, I tried starting it with no success. The starter would grab but not turn the engine. The car just shuttered. We got it towed to a garage (not the dealership) and when they got around to examining the truck (three days later...), the engine would not turn... seized.
Well, from there starts my investigation to find out this seems to be a current issue with the Ecodiesel. This is very disappointing as we are still paying for the vehicle and we really liked it.
The solution is simple : Lots of money... No, seriously, open it up and find out whats going on. I expect a crankshaft bearing replacement or worse... a new engine or even some other surprise. I have two questions.
Has anyone have this happen to them and what was the outcome, solution wise and cost.
Does anyone know the statistics of Ecodiesel catastrophic engine failure? Anything official you can link me to.
Thanks to all... perhaps we will meet in a fellowship of Ecodiesel catastrophic failure class action.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
It's been going on for 6 years.

1661428721902.jpeg

Roy Theagali

Apr 3, 2022
Truck Year
I went through this problem
Here is my recommendation and what I did 1) replace the complete engine these engines are through away engines no shop out there will be able to warranty their work so do not listen to them
2)use shell T6 5/40 oil change oils at 5000 KM you can convert to miles for your self
3) delete the def ,dpf, egr and reprogram the pcm
4) install straight pipes
note if you have emissions laws were you are then just cut your losses and get rid of it because if you replace the engine it will happen again around 75k to 125k of use
So think about it before you spend
I can do mechanic work so I was able to save on the cost of labour this is the only reason I replaced my engine
I hope I was helpful not to scare you this is just the fact and FC will not help you you can try calling them but from my experience they just want this bad engine to go away and be forgotten just remember you next purchase and decide if you want to repeat this service
Regards
And good luck you will need it

fcolella

Mar 30, 2021
Truck Year
Hi Roy,
Thank you very much for taking a moment to write... much appreciated.
Yes, it does confirm the conclusions I came to after doing some research. Unfortunately.
#3 has been done at 95k but what difference does the straight pipe do?
In your opinion, is the failure caused by the soot from the EGR going into the engine?
And finally, did you keep the truck and if so, how many ks did you put on it how is it doing?
As for luck... its money I need!
Cheers!

Roy Theagali

Apr 3, 2022
Truck Year
If you leave the dpf unit it will get plugged up with sooth and cause power loss and sooth build up ìn your engine
Scr unit has no purpose if you deleted it ìn the program
If you did a partial delete the egr will still put sooth in your engine
Straight pipe will have the breathing better
Note if you keep these items on and stop the regeneration system it will plug up
Also every time you do a regen the oil will need to be changed earlier or it will breakdown and fail to lubricate the bearing and the sooth will plug the oil passage to the rear main bearing
I hope this will answer some of your questions if you have more questions I will try to answer
I bought JGC 2014 overland with all the bells and whistles same engine 126000km use car dealership told me the engine was replaced he lied it was repaired and not a good repair it blow up at 132000km only choice I had was dump it and loose my money or fix it I chose to buy new engine because now engine rebuild shop will touch it after replacing it I did open my blow engine and seen what the failure was and after researching it was a very common problem so I removed everything that can cause a repeat now I have 195000km and looking to sell reason I need the money for other projects

jj1987

Aug 14, 2022
Truck Year
Last Sunday, my wife was driving our 2016 Ecodiesel when a warning flashed for her to stop. She did and the engine immediately shut down and would not start again. When I got there, I tried starting it with no success. The starter would grab but not turn the engine. The car just shuttered. We got it towed to a garage (not the dealership) and when they got around to examining the truck (three days later...), the engine would not turn... seized.
Well, from there starts my investigation to find out this seems to be a current issue with the Ecodiesel. This is very disappointing as we are still paying for the vehicle and we really liked it.
The solution is simple : Lots of money... No, seriously, open it up and find out whats going on. I expect a crankshaft bearing replacement or worse... a new engine or even some other surprise. I have two questions.
Has anyone have this happen to them and what was the outcome, solution wise and cost.
Does anyone know the statistics of Ecodiesel catastrophic engine failure? Anything official you can link me to.
Thanks to all... perhaps we will meet in a fellowship of Ecodiesel catastrophic failure class action.
Money doesn't really fix it because the parts are backordered almost a year. I just took $8500 for my 2015 with 54k miles to get rid of it. Engine replacement was 1 year out and $14k. I couldn't justify waiting a year, fronting $14k and then trying to sell private party while explaining why the engine is brand new which would cause a buyer to google and find out these blow up often.

fcolella

Mar 30, 2021
Truck Year
I
If you leave the dpf unit it will get plugged up with sooth and cause power loss and sooth build up ìn your engine
Scr unit has no purpose if you deleted it ìn the program
If you did a partial delete the egr will still put sooth in your engine
Straight pipe will have the breathing better
Note if you keep these items on and stop the regeneration system it will plug up
Also every time you do a regen the oil will need to be changed earlier or it will breakdown and fail to lubricate the bearing and the sooth will plug the oil passage to the rear main bearing
I hope this will answer some of your questions if you have more questions I will try to answer
I bought JGC 2014 overland with all the bells and whistles same engine 126000km use car dealership told me the engine was replaced he lied it was repaired and not a good repair it blow up at 132000km only choice I had was dump it and loose my money or fix it I chose to buy new engine because now engine rebuild shop will touch it after replacing it I did open my blow engine and seen what the failure was and after researching it was a very common problem so I removed everything that can cause a repeat now I have 195000km and looking to sell reason I need the money for other projects
I had the EGR removed completely at 95k and did 25k with it. It worked wonderfully... until last Sunday.
At 95k I discovered how the soot builds up in the manifold... it was ugly. The MAP sensor was completely clogged. Then I realized this soot goes into the engine... thus my decision to get rid of the EGR.
I wonder if that soot is not at the base of the whole problem with these failures... going into the manifold bearings and doing its work. Otherwise, its a design or conception flaw.
I got some good news, the local dealer may be ready to take my vehicle as is on a trade... we'll see. That would reduce my loss.
Thanks for taking the time, much appreciated.
Cheers.

fcolella

Mar 30, 2021
Truck Year
Money doesn't really fix it because the parts are backordered almost a year. I just took $8500 for my 2015 with 54k miles to get rid of it. Engine replacement was 1 year out and $14k. I couldn't justify waiting a year, fronting $14k and then trying to sell private party while explaining why the engine is brand new which would cause a buyer to google and find out these blow up often.
Right. That's a real conscience problem: «Get it fixed and just get rid of it». I just can't do it. «Yeah, The engine failed because of conception problems, so I got it fixed and I'm under $14,000 so I'm getting rid of the problem by passing it on to you dear buyer.»
That would be a «catastrophic moral failure» of my efforts to «love my neighbor as myself».
I'll be towing it to the dealership early next week to evaluate it trade value as is. That is very un expected good news.
Cheers

jj1987

Aug 14, 2022
Truck Year
Right. That's a real conscience problem: «Get it fixed and just get rid of it». I just can't do it. «Yeah, The engine failed because of conception problems, so I got it fixed and I'm under $14,000 so I'm getting rid of the problem by passing it on to you dear buyer.»
That would be a «catastrophic moral failure» of my efforts to «love my neighbor as myself».
I'll be towing it to the dealership early next week to evaluate it trade value as is. That is very un expected good news.
Cheers
Highly recommend that you don't go through the dealer. My offers were way better selling to a company that specializes in buying junk cars. My dealer wouldn't take it at all, despite asking me to tow it there for an appraisal. Once I asked for a rough estimate based on what we know, they told me they wouldn't even buy it-- but they sure didn't care to ask before I spent $$$ towing it up there!

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Cheers
Anyone that buys a vehicle New or used VM 3.0 product without investigating its History when available is foolish or an Idiot? that condition was before the purchase and beyond your control. To Top it OFF 1500diesel.XXX was covering up the Flaws for 5 Years 2015-2020. A Handful of Mods at that site IMO need to be flogged and tarred with feathers. Ask You self this Question. EGR are on Millions of vehicles that the rotating mass goes 500K miles plus. and you have engines with internal combustion EGR programing that don't fail........

burwellflagin

Feb 14, 2022
Truck Year
Yes, this happened to me. 2016 Longhorn. 74k miles - 6 months out-of-warranty. Engine seized on highway pulling a small camper. April 2022. No engines avail in junkyards (which I wasnt really considering), best option was to purchase a new engine from the dealer. Took 8 weeks to get back, $14k later. Now I have 3-year - 100,000 mile warranty. I like the truck and engine.. I really had little choice ....

burwellflagin

Feb 14, 2022
Truck Year
Oh, sorry if I was not clear.. I paid 14k for a new motor with 3/yr 100000/mi warranty. None to happy about it at the time, for sure.
Funny thing is I had no warning this was going to occur. Warning light came on, engine starting losing power, pulled over to the shoulder, it idled for about 30 seconds and shut off. That was it.
I have 10k on the new motor - runs about the same - maybe a little better ...

fcolella

Mar 30, 2021
Truck Year
Well, the saga continues. After 24,000 k, the new engine (a used one and a bill of 10,000$) experienced a failure as well. The engine didn't seize but started clonking. So I stopped and had it towed. Now, it seems the issue is with a crankshaft bearing again. We're looking at a range of $3000-15,000!!! I'm done with this engine and will ditch the car rather than fix or change this 3L engine. anybody did an engine swap on the Ecodiesel? If so, what engine? preferably a diesel one. Thanks