• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Misfire only on cylinders 1-3. No CEL

jcrheingans

May 26, 2022
Truck Year
Hey guys just wanted some feedback on an issue that just started yesterday.

my wife is driving the truck and it does on her, so she coasts to the side of the road and I come pick it up with a trailer. It won’t start and just cranks.
I get it home and if I keep pumping the accelerator then it starts but runs like crap and is missing badly. She had not filled up with fuel recently and truck had just under half a tank. I changed fuel filter just to see if it would make a difference and no change. So I take it to the dealer and they said they have checked everything in the fuel system and so far nothing is wrong.
In tank pump is supplying good pressure, injection pump is supplying rail with 6500 psi of pressure and they pulled the fuel quality solenoid on the injection pump and it was perfectly clean. They are forwarding this case to Chrysler engineering and asking what to do next. Anyone have any pointers or similar experiences? Truck has 177,000 miles and has been trouble free except for the reluctor wheel failing and being covered under recall.

jcrheingans

May 26, 2022
Truck Year
Dealer has been looking at it for 4 days and says they don't know what's wrong and neither does Chrysler. Being that there are two separate fuel rails (one for each bank) I wonder where they check rail pressure? Is it on the passenger side after it has pressurized the driver side rail and the crossover tube or is it they are only seeing pressure on the drivers rail and we don't know what the other side is actually doing. A passenger side rail and injector lines (which includes the pressure sensor) is only $350 so I'm tempted to just try replacing those myself to just see what changes. Any thoughts from anyone?

jcrheingans

May 26, 2022
Truck Year
UPDATE:
Told dealer that they had till Saturday to fix it or I am just going to take it home and mess with it. They called today and said top tier engineers at Chrysler said to pull the valve cover and look for metal shavings to see if the cam gear had slipped and caused timing issues. If its not that then they think it could be the injection pump, which still isn't available till end of October for my area

jcrheingans

May 26, 2022
Truck Year
Update:
Dealer found metal in fuel system when they pulled the fuel pressure sensor on the passenger rail. So sounds like they will be replacing injection pump under the recall when a pump is available and redoing the entire fuel system. They said it also slipped the gear that drives the injection pump and broke all the rockers on 1 side. Still waiting to see if all this is covered but I don't think its a coincidence that these happened at the same time and the injection pump sounds like the culprit for both issues.

Rocker irie

Nov 24, 2022
Truck Year
Update:
Dealer found metal in fuel system when they pulled the fuel pressure sensor on the passenger rail. So sounds like they will be replacing injection pump under the recall when a pump is available and redoing the entire fuel system. They said it also slipped the gear that drives the injection pump and broke all the rockers on 1 side. Still waiting to see if all this is covered but I don't think its a coincidence that these happened at the same time and the injection pump sounds like the culprit for both issues.
So this happened right after the reluctor wheel problem?

I just got my truck towed in for crankshaft position sensor fail, ( delaminating magnetic pickup)
They replaced it. But now it has been in the shop for 3 plus weeks, they are saying it is running rough, today I called and they say they are sending a fuel sample away because they think there might be metal fillings in it?