• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Cold Weather Requirements

BJE

Feb 18, 2017
Truck Year
Bought my 2016 in FL.... did not come with a radiator cover. I have since moved to Maine, and this will be my first winter up north with the truck....I did purchase the block heater cord. Two questions- at what temperature should the block heater start to be used?...and should I get a radiator cover?
Thanks.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Bought my 2016 in FL.... did not come with a radiator cover. I have since moved to Maine, and this will be my first winter up north with the truck....I did purchase the block heater cord. Two questions- at what temperature should the block heater start to be used?...and should I get a radiator cover?
Thanks.

I don't have extreme cold weather here in TN, but I've had single digit nights and never had a problem.. but, I would just put it on a timer to run about 2 hours before you leave and call it day.

Lou

Jan 31, 2016
Truck Year
The block heater is being nice to your truck, until it is sub zero it's not really needed.
It does make for easier starts and faster warmups.

The radiator cover should be used most of the winter, if it's under 45 deg.F unless you are towing heavy it will not overheat. It will come to temperature faster and run better, use less fuel, and the heater will work better. Also people have had the inter cooler freeze up while running in snow storms.
Every thing on the truck works better when it's warmer.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
45deg IMO is way to warm/hot for that cover, its simply a myth that won't die, You are going to raise intake temps 50-150deg ,this will cost you mileage and engine life , Yes heat is important but subjecting it to excessive heat is damaging, The 3.0 already has a heat problem many plenums have fail due to excessive heat. I would NOT recommend that cover until -0 temps.

IC freeze ups are unrelated to the WF, Some snow has found it way into intake filter box, the WF would stop that.

Lou

Jan 31, 2016
Truck Year
I find that the winter cover helps my mileage considerable, and I have seen no high temp issues.