• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Newbie questiin

shortyo

Jan 27, 2020
Truck Year
Hey peeps, I appreciate the great info you all provide, thank you!
I have a question about the difficulty level of changing out the fuel rail pressure sensor in my 2017 ecodiesel. Specialty tools required?
I get the CEL constantly and the code is P0191. I clear it with my scanner and it comes right back on in minutes to hours.
I have put Dia-electric grease in the connectors at the sensor end with no improvement.
I have 123K km on the truck with no mods.
Any info is greatly appreciated.
Cheers

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
I found this post that may help

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
You can replace the sensor if you like, I've dealt with codes for the pass 15 Years, 9 out 10 times its unrelated to the sensor. check all your wiring, I've even found poor ground to defective battery can cause this code.

I would disconnect the battery and Dia-electric every connection in the engine Bay, Parctice good engine hygiene or as the truck gets older more communication problems due to poor connection(s) will occur, In long term ownership I recommend Dia-electirc every connection from Head lamps to tail lights.

Remove the sound foam and CP4 cover and store-away.

shortyo

Jan 27, 2020
Truck Year
I found this post that may help

Thanks a Million!

shortyo

Jan 27, 2020
Truck Year
You can replace the sensor if you like, I've dealt with codes for the pass 15 Years, 9 out 10 times its unrelated to the sensor. check all your wiring, I've even found poor ground to defective battery can cause this code.

I would disconnect the battery and Dia-electric every connection in the engine Bay, Parctice good engine hygiene or as the truck gets older more communication problems due to poor connection(s) will occur, In long term ownership I recommend Dia-electirc every connection from Head lamps to tail lights.

Thank you for your help, I will get that done as soon as the weather breaks!

Milvetmac

Mar 25, 2020
Truck Year

Any particular reasoning behind removing the cover and foam? I have read some people stating it is part of the design to help maintain a proper heat range for the egr and injector rails... I am by no means a mechanic but I live in commiefornia and am not concerned with freezing temps so why would I wa t to keep it hotter than it needs to be?! I’m installing exhaust tomorrow and some heat shielding so I was planning on pulling all that out at the same time

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Its all about sound, HPCR life is determine by lubrication and Temp, Remove it all, and the Pump Cover...Plus its always in the way, it attracts rodents. The facts are America does NOT practice good engine Hygiene...another myth if the engine gets wet it won't start LMBO on that one.

Milvetmac

Mar 25, 2020
Truck Year
Awesome thanks for the info, it’s my first diesel... if you don’t mind, do you have any “engine hygiene “ recommendations? I run T6 rotella with afe oil/ k&n fuel filters and change them all out every 5k miles. Afe dry filter gets cleaned if it’s dirty or every 8k miles whichever comes first, XDP fuel additive and XDP oil additive.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I would use a Better Fuel Filter and change at 10/15K miles, IMO and the experts at the Local refinery (Flint Hills) Recommended NO additives, Keep in mind that MN has Mandatory Bio-DsL.

Dia-electric every connection on the Vehicle (If intending for/on long term ownership) and keep that engine clean.

Upgrade your Foot learn how to roll into a DsL Power curve, DO NOT dart drive. I have test driven some owners that use 80-90% TPS at every stoplight just to back off to 50-60% for legal speed , this creates soot, adds wear to the rotating -mass and will lower MPG.

Last edited by a moderator:

Milvetmac

Mar 25, 2020
Truck Year
I would use a Better Fuel Filter and change at 10/15K miles, IMO and the experts at the Local refinery (Flint Hills) Recommended NO additives, Keep in mind that MN has Mandatory Bio-DsL.

Dia-electric every connection on the Vehicle (If intending for/on long term ownership) and keep that engine clean.

Upgrade your Foot learn how to roll into a DsL Power curve, DO NOT dart drive. I have test driven some owners that use 80-90% TPS at every stoplight just to back off to 50-60% for legal speed , this creates soot, adds wear to the rotating -mass and will lower MPG.
Thanks a lot! I appreciate it 🍻

shortyo

Jan 27, 2020
Truck Year
Update:
I bought a Pedal Commander and it made the CEL stay off for quite a while, I was having the fuel rail pressure sensor code coming up. It would still come on but much much less. What an awesome difference it made in the fuel pedal lag that I was experiencing!!! I highly recommend PC for the ecodiesel!!! It was just kind of a fluke that it helped with the CEL not coming on...
Anyway, I had the fuel rail pressure sensor A replaced because I had already purchased it, and a new pressure relief valve put in and no more CEL!!!
I have about 3500km driving on it after the new parts and so far so good!
Thanks for all of the invaluable advice!!!