• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2018 Ram 1500 Laramie EcoDiesel died

DBDiesel

Jan 31, 2024
Truck Year
Was leaving my home in Discovery Bay, CA driving about 20 mph when the engine died. No problems before this happened. Engine will crank but that is it. I suspect the fuel pump crapped out. Had it towed to the dealer. Dealer said there aren't any replacement parts available yet for the recalls and they have no idea when the parts will come. So for now I'm in rental. RAM should be sued for manufacturing a POS engine. Still have the drivetrain warranty. Its useless if parts arent available.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Was leaving my home in Discovery Bay, CA driving about 20 mph when the engine died. No problems before this happened. Engine will crank but that is it. I suspect the fuel pump crapped out. Had it towed to the dealer. Dealer said there aren't any replacement parts available yet for the recalls and they have no idea when the parts will come. So for now I'm in rental. RAM should be sued for manufacturing a POS engine. Still have the drivetrain warranty. Its useless if parts arent available.
The dealer is supposed to replace it with a current pump and replace that when the recall pump is available The current pump is probably not available either. Show the dealer this:

Attachments

• 011d-CP4 Failure - Repl.pdf
    107.7 KB · Views: 32

DBDiesel

Jan 31, 2024
Truck Year
The dealer is replacing the entire fuel system. Metal throughout. Stated warranty will cover it but if it didn't I would be paying $13,000
I'm still without my truck and its been almost two weeks. Rental car is getting expensive. No help from the dealer for a loaner or rental. After I get my truck back I'm taking it to a Ford dealer and trading it in for a F250. I'll lose money on the deal but I'm done with this piece of crap. Never ever again will I own a Stellantis vehicle. I should of learned my lesson in the 80s after having a Dodge Charger that blew its turbo at 15,000 miles.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
The dealer is replacing the entire fuel system. Metal throughout. Stated warranty will cover it but if it didn't I would be paying $13,000
I'm still without my truck and its been almost two weeks. Rental car is getting expensive. No help from the dealer for a loaner or rental. After I get my truck back I'm taking it to a Ford dealer and trading it in for a F250. I'll lose money on the deal but I'm done with this piece of crap. Never ever again will I own a Stellantis vehicle. I should of learned my lesson in the 80s after having a Dodge Charger that blew its turbo at 15,000 miles.
Yeah they have recall out on the cp4.2 hpfp as does most every other diesel from various manufacturers that run a cp4. Honestly I expected it to be your tone wheel for crank position sensor, which comes around 90-115k, but accept the inconvenience and let them pay for it. Apparently you've had fuel quality issues in some point of it's life.

autoX

Nov 6, 2022
Truck Year
Me too, thought it was the tone wheel.
Bosch pump. Bosch doesn't make junk, so something is unexpected there.

Sporty_rob

Feb 13, 2024
Truck Year
The dealer is supposed to replace it with a current pump and replace that when the recall pump is available The current pump is probably not available either. Show the dealer this:
Thanks for that PDF John. I've been to the Ram dealer and asked them to do the Z46 recall and they said I need to wait until they have the part. So far, they have just done the crankshaft software recall. I've owned this truck since 2022 and its now 2024. Wondering if I just bring this notice you provided with me and say "Fucking fix it now". LOL its just a nightmare.

RustyS60

Jan 27, 2024
Truck Year
My 2018 has been dependable for 100672 miles, until 3 weeks ago when HPFP imploded and left me stranded. 2 day rental cost me $245, I am in a borrowed truck right now but needing to return it. Dealer has no loaner’s and Chrysler customer care aren’t helping much. I have extended warranty that will pay about half of a rental but says pay for it and after vehicle is repaired just submit and get refunded the cost. At $100 a day and no parts available could be 2-6-12 months who knows. Disability income doesn’t cover my living expenses now, we are talking about $3k a month that I don’t have and still have $4k on loan to pay for truck🤬. I live alone in country, disabled and have no other transportation and can’t afford to buy another vehicle!!!

Sporty_rob

Feb 13, 2024
Truck Year
My 2018 has been dependable for 100672 miles, until 3 weeks ago when HPFP imploded and left me stranded. 2 day rental cost me $245, I am in a borrowed truck right now but needing to return it. Dealer has no loaner’s and Chrysler customer care aren’t helping much. I have extended warranty that will pay about half of a rental but says pay for it and after vehicle is repaired just submit and get refunded the cost. At $100 a day and no parts available could be 2-6-12 months who knows. Disability income doesn’t cover my living expenses now, we are talking about $3k a month that I don’t have and still have $4k on loan to pay for truck🤬. I live alone in country, disabled and have no other transportation and can’t afford to buy another vehicle!!!
Thats just not right Rusty. You need to share this story on all your social media channels/friends/local news and put RAM on blast. You have nothing to loose. I'm sorry this has happened to you. I purchased mine in 2022 (covid days) and test drove everything and fell in love with my EcoDiesel without doing the research. I'm at 79k miles now; no issues yet but I live in California and need to keep this stock to pass emissions. So, something will happen and the Z46 fuel pump recall is still not done. I want tio sell it but with the recall in place, I can't sell it private party since the registration coming up in June would not pass; so a trade-in is the only option but the trucks value is $7-$8,000 less than it should be due to the recall. I might just trade it in still. Looking at a V8 Gas, used truck thats close to what I have now. Just not diesel unfortunately.

DBDiesel

Jan 31, 2024
Truck Year
So now the stealership is saying it might be ready by March 8. Thats over a month in the shop which under California law makes it a lemon. I'm going to see if Ram Cares will buy it back. I'm in a rental and already in the hole. When I was there a guy from Canada came in with a Cummins turbo diesel. He was 200 miles out of warranty when his engine grenaded. Estimated cost to replace $25,000 and some change. I think he was going to junk it. 2021 model. I'll never buy a RAM product again.

DBDiesel

Jan 31, 2024
Truck Year
Got a phone call from Ram Cares today. They refused to buy back my truck. It's been in the repair lot for over a month so with California lemon laws my lawyer will have a field day with them....I'm hoping.

DBDiesel

Jan 31, 2024
Truck Year
Latest update. Spoke to dealer on Friday. They have all of the new old stock parts ready to install. Problem is RAM has decided to not use these parts anymore. MOPAR will not allow the dealer to install the new old stock fuel system. That is good but still delays me getting my truck. MOPAR will install the brand-new reengineered fuel pump into my truck. The major issue is they aren't immediately available and the dealer doesn't' know exactly when they will be available. So long story short....my 2018 Ram Laramie EcoDiesel is still in the dealer's repair yard and has been there since January. My attorney has the case and is working on getting RAM to buy my truck back from me under California's Lemon Law. He said it usually takes around 90 days.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Looks like they are ignoring their previous dealer instructions.

Attachments

• 011d-CP4 Failure - Repl.pdf
    107.7 KB · Views: 6

DBDiesel

Jan 31, 2024
Truck Year
Finally got the Ram back after being in the shop for a full two months. They installed the newly engineered fuel system in the truck and it was covered by warranty. I drove the truck home and it's sitting in the driveway. No way in hell am I driving it again. I've got my lawyer working on a lemon law case. Hopefully Stellantis will pony up and buy the truck back from me. No way in hell am I ever owning any type of RAM again. I went and bought a Ford F250 Super Duty Lariat. Love it. Should of stuck with Ford in the beginning. Lesson learned.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
DB, Ram America is not the Problem, it is Fiat that brought the VM 3.0 to N/A.. Did you get DSL or gas Ford if DSL it's equip with the same CP4 as the VM 3.0.

autoX

Nov 6, 2022
Truck Year
Lose - lose on the Ford. Despite having good women and men working there, Ford at core business level are crooks. They pilfer engineering from acquisitions, then spin them off. There is no intrinsic ecosystem of innovation and engineering. Just slime on the take. I dont see a single engineer in corp leadership/BOD - correct me if im wrong (oh that sounds pretty scathing ;))

FCA fixed up the RAM in earnest, took a while but they got the job done.

Last edited: