• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

P249D code, was told by a dealer that I need to replace my DPF for $4600

Huntingtvguy

Sep 12, 2019
Truck Year
I have spent a lot of time researching my P249D code and DPF issues. This weekend a good friend of mine used his ODB computer and was able to force a regen, which we did 2 times. MPG was 19 before the regen and now is 23 after. I still get the code but the truck does seem to accelerate better. This all is leading me to believe that the DPF may be plugged with soot but the regens did help some. Does anyone have any experience with this problem? I see that there is a bunch of brands of DPF cleaning fluid out there, I don't know if it is snake oil or if it really works. Looking at YouTube videos, this seems to be a common issue with smaller diesels. Most of the videos were from Europe since they all drive diesels there.

Any Ideas?

BTdriver

Aug 30, 2018
Truck Year
Given that the regens had a positive effect, I'm thinking that your DPF just needs more time with EGTs above about 750°F to burn more soot off. If you have mountains nearby to do a long, highway speed, drive up, or access to a big, aerodynamically impaired trailer to pull down the highway, those will get your exhaust temps up plenty to do the trick. Also, if you aren't already, I suggest a fuel additive like Power Service or Howe's to aid in complete combustion among other things. While I haven't tried any of the DPF cleaning fluids, seems to me like their cost is a small gamble against $4600. I would try the DPF fluids second after the "burn it off" methods.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Huntingtvguy

Sep 12, 2019
Truck Year
Given that the regens had a positive effect, I'm thinking that your DPF just needs more time with EGTs above about 750°F to burn more soot off. If you have mountains nearby to do a long, highway speed, drive up, or access to a big, aerodynamically impaired trailer to pull down the highway, those will get your exhaust temps up plenty to do the trick. Also, if you aren't already, I suggest a fuel additive like Power Service or Howe's to aid in complete combustion among other things. While I haven't tried any of the DPF cleaning fluids, seems to me like their cost is a small gamble against $4600. I would try the DPF fluids second after the "burn it off" methods.

Hope this helps.
Well reading the codes, I noticed that the P249D code showed that it was a permanent code. Using my friends commercial grade code reader we were able to clear it and my truck is showing no codes now. After the 2 regens, the drive does drive much better and no longer lags when it is cold. I am hoping that this is the end of my problem. I will have to wait and see. So far I have put a couple hundred miles on it and there has been no sign of any problems.

BTdriver

Aug 30, 2018
Truck Year
Well reading the codes, I noticed that the P249D code showed that it was a permanent code. Using my friends commercial grade code reader we were able to clear it and my truck is showing no codes now. After the 2 regens, the drive does drive much better and no longer lags when it is cold. I am hoping that this is the end of my problem. I will have to wait and see. So far I have put a couple hundred miles on it and there has been no sign of any problems.
That's good news! Hope it continues to run better. These diesels need to be worked regularly to keep running well.