• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

14 ram ecodiesel deleted started smoking more

coorsman2005

Mar 1, 2019
Truck Year
Ok we have had this truck for a while. It runs great. Very few issues. Nothing major. Been deleted since around 75 80 k. Here lately I noticed it's starting to black smoke alot. Before it was hard for it to even smoke to be honest. But now geez its aggravating it smokes so bad. I did clean the maf sensor on the back of the intake and it was nasty. Since then I have been thinking about a catch can or direct vent to atmosphere. What yall got. For thoughts. Thanks.

Green Diesel

Nov 17, 2015
Truck Year
If it was fine for a while, there is a good chance the turbo has been damaged due to overspeeding the bearings. Many of these tunes companies make tend to overspeed the turbo if power bump is over 30 hp. Hope you can get it sorted out.

coorsman2005

Mar 1, 2019
Truck Year
I went with the low tune 30 hp since we do pull our pontoon boat once in a while. But no towing heavy I have my 1 tons for that. I wouldn't think it's the turbo beings its black smoke not any white smoke what so ever.

coorsman2005

Mar 1, 2019
Truck Year
Right I understand that. But if the bearings are going bad. It's going to start causing oil consumption. causing white smoke.

coorsman2005

Mar 1, 2019
Truck Year
Finally got to checking codes p0191 which has been a code that I could never get cleared on the truck. It just come and go with no issues. Then the p0087 comes along it's over fueling. I have changed the fuel filter twice in the last 5k miles just to make sure that wasn't it.

I feel like it's an injector issue so I bought blocks. blocked each injector 1 at a time doing test starts never noticed much or any change enough to notice by ear or sight. Still pretty heavy smoke with each injector blocked on every start.

Now on another note when I pulled th intercooler pipe off.it was pretty wet with oil. I have read where these trucks. Send alot of oil to the intercooler over time. I just need some thoughts. Guys.

Ecopete

Dec 27, 2019
Truck Year
Did you confirm that it's getting the proper boost response? That VGT function can fail too

coorsman2005

Mar 1, 2019
Truck Year
I have not checked the boost psi or vgt function. But the turbo I do hear it actuating out the exhaust like when u first start it. And it sounds like it's moving good. But I have no way to actually see the full function.

The boost I had my wife hold the brake in gear and boost it up. While I was under the hood. Never heard nothing and all the hoses are tight so I dont think it is leaking. There Again I dont have a boost gauge on the truck either.

Ecopete

Dec 27, 2019
Truck Year
Like you said, it would make the injectors suspect for improper function, but being starved for air would also cause an over fueled situation. As has been said before, having an app like torque pro, bluedriver or alfaobd to view actual operating parameters is very beneficial to self diagnostics

coorsman2005

Mar 1, 2019
Truck Year
Well I found blue driver on ebay for $90 its ordered. Thanks for that maybe it will make it here before the wkd. High Hope's haha