• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

15 EcoDiesel Avoiding Common Issues

ECODIESEL12

Aug 14, 2019
Truck Year
How's it going everyone.
I Posted this in my introduction, however I feel it is important to share this info and answer whatever Questions I can.
I own the 2015 model. Upon purchasing, I had a lot of questions as well as concerns. I had heard the good, bad, and ugly about this truck but still decided to make the purchase. Call me crazy but I love the truck. AND I have had my fair share of issues already. No less that 2 weeks after purchasing I had to bring it in for service because I was throwing multiple codes. EGR failures, intake codes etc etc. Thank God I opted for a 6 year Platinum bumper to bumper extended warranty because it was around $5,000 worth of work. I probably would not love the truck as much if I had to pay for that repair (HAHAHAHAHA)! My whole intake manifold and assembly had to be replaced (Carbon and Soot Buildup) as well as my EGR Cooler and all the piping in between. This was insane to me as I had bought the truck with only 40,000 miles on it!!!
My point in this post is yes..... these trucks tend to have their fair share of issues. Sometimes even more than that! But there are things we can do to bypass the majority of these issues. As I move forward in what im going to say..... yes I live in a state that does emissions testing.
If you want your EcoDiesel to be reliable and are concerned with longevity, consider the following:

Green Diesel Engineering "Hot Tune" (There are also others like PPEI)
CFT Performance Catch Can
CFT Performance EGR Solution Kit
CFT Performance Oil Cooler Plate
CFT Performance CCV Atmosphere Dump Kit
CFT Performance Link http://cftperformance.com/ram-1500-hemi-and-eco-diesel-2014-2018/

Personally I have decided not to do a full delete as it would be very hard to pass emissions in my state. I Have however decided to install the above products which allows the EcoD to run WORLDS Healthier and more reliable.... 0 Problems!
I have Completely deleted the EGR and now have no more soot and carbon buildup in my oil or engine/intake. I still have the DPF in my exhaust but my truck needs to regen FAR LESS and I make sure to do my best to ensure the DPF is cleaned.
I conduct regular services... Oil, Filters, etc.. and make sure to use a diesel additive to clean and add lubricity at each fill up.
My coolant leak is fixed and everything is amazing now!!! Yes I know we all wish the truck could be like this from the get-go in its stock form, but thanks to emissions and certain political groups I will not mention, our trucks are forced to choke themselves to death.... Quite literally -_-.
It is the beginning of a long journey of ownership for me, but we have many people out there who have found solutions for our truck set-backs and failure points. CFT Performance and many others are worth a look, you will not be disappointed!

Please feel free to ask me anything.
No I do not work for, nor am I sponsored by CFT Performance or any company. I just have done LOADS of work and research as well as personally having Major mechanical knowledge, and knowing good parts/service when I see/use it.
Thanks For the Read!

John

Nov 13, 2015
What are you using for your external oil cooler setup?
Why Catch Can and CCV Atmosphere Dump Kit

Now if there was a solution for the spun bearings we would be good to go. :)

ECODIESEL12

Aug 14, 2019
Truck Year

So basically without going too deep into the bullshit of the VM Motori 3.0l, our engine runs dirtier than a lot of other big names (Cummins, etc etc.). This is mostly because of the V-Setup and our pistons, and how the emissions work. On the 2020 Ram EcoD they have brand new pistons/rings to counteract the issues experienced on our 14-19 models.... supposedly. I use mainly parts from CFT Performance because I am buddies with the owner. As for what I am using for external oil cooler, I Use D and J diesels Heavy duty oil cooler setup. You don't need the heavy duty unless you are towing frequently. The link is here... https://www.dandjdiesel.com/eco-diesel-info
As for CCV and Catch can... The more contaminants you are able to catch, releace, or filter from getting into your intake or engine or turbo the better. It is definitely more of a peace of mind preventative measure than a direct necessity, but it pays off if you plan to keep your truck for the long haul.
If you are someone who puts 100-150k miles on your truck and then trades up, it may not be the MOST necessary, but if you plan to run it til you can't no more, then definitely look into it.

ECODIESEL12

Aug 14, 2019
Truck Year
So you have both a Catch Can and CCV Atmosphere Dump Kit ?
No, Just a catch can. So a CCV (Closed Crankcase Ventilation) works best in conjunction with a DOC (Diesel Oxidation Catalyst). Basically reduces emissions, as well as oil "Mist" from entering your intercooler. I have never seen a problem with my intercooler or any oil mist, so as of right now I do not have a CCV installed. Some people swear by them and that is why I listed it... more of a preference item. It cant hurt but I currently do not have a need for installing one. I will definitely update if that changes though.

ECODIESEL12

Aug 14, 2019
Truck Year

As for spun bearings, the only company I have the slightest clue about that may be able to help, is D&J Diesel in Midvale ,UT. You would have to go to Utah and drop the truck off to them for about 2 days. They do a "Bulletproofing" Ecodiesel Engine package for around $2-3k.

John

Nov 13, 2015
Those guys weld the cam gear (no thanks). That's an entirely different issue that's not even an issue on the ED.

ECODIESEL12

Aug 14, 2019
Truck Year
Those guys weld the cam gear (no thanks). That's an entirely different issue that's not even an issue on the ED.
yeah I haven't done any research on or dealt with the spun bearing issue. I will ask around and see if I can find anything.

ECODIESEL12

Aug 14, 2019
Truck Year
Unfortunate. Hopefully I don't run into that issue. I hear a lot of heavenly claims about the 2020, but who knows... id wait a few years and see what really comes of it. I hope to run mine for many years to come but after it finally croaks I think I will step it up to the bigger diesels. I Do Love my ecodiesel though, dont get me wrong.

John

Nov 13, 2015
Most ED's are good but there's been too many bearing failures in my opinion. Good idea to wait it out for sure.

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
How's it going everyone.
I Posted this in my introduction, however I feel it is important to share this info and answer whatever Questions I can.
I own the 2015 model. Upon purchasing, I had a lot of questions as well as concerns. I had heard the good, bad, and ugly about this truck but still decided to make the purchase. Call me crazy but I love the truck. AND I have had my fair share of issues already. No less that 2 weeks after purchasing I had to bring it in for service because I was throwing multiple codes. EGR failures, intake codes etc etc. Thank God I opted for a 6 year Platinum bumper to bumper extended warranty because it was around $5,000 worth of work. I probably would not love the truck as much if I had to pay for that repair (HAHAHAHAHA)! My whole intake manifold and assembly had to be replaced (Carbon and Soot Buildup) as well as my EGR Cooler and all the piping in between. This was insane to me as I had bought the truck with only 40,000 miles on it!!!
My point in this post is yes..... these trucks tend to have their fair share of issues. Sometimes even more than that! But there are things we can do to bypass the majority of these issues. As I move forward in what im going to say..... yes I live in a state that does emissions testing.
If you want your EcoDiesel to be reliable and are concerned with longevity, consider the following:

Green Diesel Engineering "Hot Tune" (There are also others like PPEI)
CFT Performance Catch Can
CFT Performance EGR Solution Kit
CFT Performance Oil Cooler Plate
CFT Performance CCV Atmosphere Dump Kit
CFT Performance Link http://cftperformance.com/ram-1500-hemi-and-eco-diesel-2014-2018/

Personally I have decided not to do a full delete as it would be very hard to pass emissions in my state. I Have however decided to install the above products which allows the EcoD to run WORLDS Healthier and more reliable.... 0 Problems!
I have Completely deleted the EGR and now have no more soot and carbon buildup in my oil or engine/intake. I still have the DPF in my exhaust but my truck needs to regen FAR LESS and I make sure to do my best to ensure the DPF is cleaned.
I conduct regular services... Oil, Filters, etc.. and make sure to use a diesel additive to clean and add lubricity at each fill up.
My coolant leak is fixed and everything is amazing now!!! Yes I know we all wish the truck could be like this from the get-go in its stock form, but thanks to emissions and certain political groups I will not mention, our trucks are forced to choke themselves to death.... Quite literally -_-.
It is the beginning of a long journey of ownership for me, but we have many people out there who have found solutions for our truck set-backs and failure points. CFT Performance and many others are worth a look, you will not be disappointed!

Please feel free to ask me anything.
No I do not work for, nor am I sponsored by CFT Performance or any company. I just have done LOADS of work and research as well as personally having Major mechanical knowledge, and knowing good parts/service when I see/use it.
Thanks For the Read!

Great report! You're 100% bang on with everything, I certainly hope all the time and love you put into the truck will pay off with longevitiy and reliability over the years. They certainly 'can' be nice trucks but it's so sad that we have to spend extra $$$ just to protect the truck from destroying itself...

MSP548

Aug 30, 2016
Truck Year
There's actually no solution. Hopefully the redesigned 2020 will be better.
Archoil AR9100 friction modifier. I used it in every oil change just for the bearing issue. A friction modifier is your only weapon against the 3.0 lubrication issues. It certainly isn’t going to fix a poor design, but it will help prolonging the engine long enough to be the next owners problem instead of yours. I always had black stone oil analysis done and they always commented on my lack of wear metals. Made me, and Jay Leno, a believer in Archoil. My OA’s are posted in the old OA thread.

ECODIESEL12

Aug 14, 2019
Truck Year
Great report! You're 100% bang on with everything, I certainly hope all the time and love you put into the truck will pay off with longevitiy and reliability over the years. They certainly 'can' be nice trucks but it's so sad that we have to spend extra $$$ just to protect the truck from destroying itself...
Thanks! Yea I know alot about diesels in general. By no means am I anything close to perfect but I wont say anything that isnt as close to spot on as possible. If I dont know I will find the answer. If I cant find the answer from there than I'll admit that too. But seriously I'll try to answer whatever I can. It is definitely sad that we gotta throw mo eye into out trucks to make them how they should be. The EcoDiesels are not for the faint of heart, but once they are properly upgraded, they are amazing.

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
Thanks! Yea I know alot about diesels in general. By no means am I anything close to perfect but I wont say anything that isnt as close to spot on as possible. If I dont know I will find the answer. If I cant find the answer from there than I'll admit that too. But seriously I'll try to answer whatever I can. It is definitely sad that we gotta throw mo eye into out trucks to make them how they should be. The EcoDiesels are not for the faint of heart, but once they are properly upgraded, they are amazing.
I agree, I think the problem is a lot of people bought them expecting to just put the key in and drive 250,000 miles cause "diesels are supposed to be known for their longevity." There may be a small handful who don't know much about cars, trucks, diesels or mechanics. They let things slip only because they don't have the background information or interest in learning, and then every problem becomes a bigger issue due to lack of information. This isn't the kind of vehicle that you can let things slip...

From what I've learned in the last 3 years, these Ecodiesels need a LOT of TLC and a watchful eye. If something looks, smells or feels suspicious, look into it, don't wait for it to blow up. Check it out asap... Keep an OBDII scanner handy cause these vehicles are all computer based now and any issue could leave you're stranded. Learn the truck, learn how to self-diagnose a problem. Understand what a regen is, understand how it works, when it works, what happens if you don't let the regen finish, what happens if regens get to 100%. some have no clue why their truck got to 100% and now they need dealer intervention and are all surprised. I've heard some say they've driven 50,000 miles and they're thinking they have had only 1 regen (cause they saw it on the evic), not realizing that the truck has been doing regens thousands of times unannounced...

I don't think this is the kind of truck you can just buy, drive and not have any understanding of how it works (you're just asking for trouble). These trucks require drivers who have some know-how and are willing to get their hands a little dirty and take good care of it. They are not a plug and pray truck... I hear so much bad stuff on here about these, and I hope mine will last, but who knows. I just hope i'm not driving a ticking time bomb... I'm hoping the GDE tune will at least give me a few more years until I can afford to trade it in for something newer.

MSP548

Aug 30, 2016
Truck Year
I agree, I think the problem is a lot of people bought them expecting to just put the key in and drive 250,000 miles cause "diesels are supposed to be known for their longevity." There may be a small handful who don't know much about cars, trucks, diesels or mechanics. They let things slip only because they don't have the background information or interest in learning, and then every problem becomes a bigger issue due to lack of information. This isn't the kind of vehicle that you can let things slip...

From what I've learned in the last 3 years, these Ecodiesels need a LOT of TLC and a watchful eye. If something looks, smells or feels suspicious, look into it, don't wait for it to blow up. Check it out asap... Keep an OBDII scanner handy cause these vehicles are all computer based now and any issue could leave you're stranded. Learn the truck, learn how to self-diagnose a problem. Understand what a regen is, understand how it works, when it works, what happens if you don't let the regen finish, what happens if regens get to 100%. some have no clue why their truck got to 100% and now they need dealer intervention and are all surprised. I've heard some say they've driven 50,000 miles and they're thinking they have had only 1 regen (cause they saw it on the evic), not realizing that the truck has been doing regens thousands of times unannounced...

I don't think this is the kind of truck you can just buy, drive and not have any understanding of how it works (you're just asking for trouble). These trucks require drivers who have some know-how and are willing to get their hands a little dirty and take good care of it. They are not a plug and pray truck... I hear so much bad stuff on here about these, and I hope mine will last, but who knows. I just hope i'm not driving a ticking time bomb... I'm hoping the GDE tune will at least give me a few more years until I can afford to trade it in for something newer.
That’s quite an endorsement for Ram. How many Ecos do you think they’d sell if they launched a marketing campaign with testimonials like yours?

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
That’s quite an endorsement for Ram. How many Ecos do you think they’d sell if they launched a marketing campaign with testimonials like yours?
LOL, with my testimonial, they'd be rolling ecodiesels off the lots by the millions (probably to the scrap yards)!! Sad but it seems to be true. If you want a car to just start and drive and change oil, buy a gas truck.

I love my truck, don't get me wrong, but I also have spent a lot of hours reading and learning from the rest of you in hopes that being proactive and knowledgeable will help prevent problems. That and a lot of praying at night to the RAM gods, "please don't let my truck blow up tomorrow, please!!!!"