• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

16 Ram - Engine Blown/warranty won’t cover

bsram21

Dec 10, 2021
Truck Year
Hi! New here. Owned my Laramie since 2016. Bought it new. 3 weeks ago, my engine stopped running. Had to get it towed to the dealership. Just this week I found out that the internal rods did something funky and there is metal shavings all inside the engine. So the engine needs to be replaced! I have an extended warranty on it, that came back and they won’t cover because of my lift kit and oversized tires. Which I don’t think has anything to do with the engine blowing out but wanted to see if anyone has had a similar experience. I have less than 50K on miles and no other mods, not even the emission recall. Any advice or resources would be awesome! Thank you!

bsram21

Dec 10, 2021
Truck Year
Hi! New here. Owned my Laramie since 2016. Bought it new. 3 weeks ago, my engine stopped running. Had to get it towed to the dealership. Just this week I found out that the internal rods did something funky and there is metal shavings all inside the engine. So the engine needs to be replaced! I have an extended warranty on it, that came back and they won’t cover because of my lift kit and oversized tires. Which I don’t think has anything to do with the engine blowing out but wanted to see if anyone has had a similar experience. I have less than 50K on miles and no other mods, not even the emission recall. Any advice or resources would be awesome! Thank you!

update: the warranty company denied the claim because of the tires, they didn’t mention anything about the lift. So new question, anyone know if bigger tires can cause the issue? The main bearing on the crankshaft was spinning and shaving off metal into the engine. Therefore causing it to fail. Thanks!

Dougeco

Nov 7, 2020
Truck Year
Not Listed
I've been in the same position. Did they put reason for denying the warranty in writing? I doubt that larger tires have anything to do with engine failure, but when faced with a +$5,000 bill for engine replacement, your warranty company is bound to try getting out of paying for any excuse. If I were in their shoes, I would too. If not tire size, they will find another excuse. It's time to reread the legaleze / contract for your warranty. You do have a copy of that right???!! If not, demand a copy of the warranty you signed, a copy with your signature. If they don't have that, demand a copy of the warranty contract they used for your specific plan on the date you bought the warranty. And if they can't produce that, go straight to your state's agency that regulates contracts and make a complaint. No matter what it says, you should take your case to your local government and/or state's corporate commission, attorney general, consumer affairs office because it is also possible that provisions of that contract are illegal in your state (like many are in NY and Cali). Do not quit. Depending on cost, it may pay to have an attorney get involved. But I'd start with state agencies first. Good luck.

bsram21

Dec 10, 2021
Truck Year
I've been in the same position. Did they put reason for denying the warranty in writing? I doubt that larger tires have anything to do with engine failure, but when faced with a +$5,000 bill for engine replacement, your warranty company is bound to try getting out of paying for any excuse. If I were in their shoes, I would too. If not tire size, they will find another excuse. It's time to reread the legaleze / contract for your warranty. You do have a copy of that right???!! If not, demand a copy of the warranty you signed, a copy with your signature. If they don't have that, demand a copy of the warranty contract they used for your specific plan on the date you bought the warranty. And if they can't produce that, go straight to your state's agency that regulates contracts and make a complaint. No matter what it says, you should take your case to your local government and/or state's corporate commission, attorney general, consumer affairs office because it is also possible that provisions of that contract are illegal in your state (like many are in NY and Cali). Do not quit. Depending on cost, it may pay to have an attorney get involved. But I'd start with state agencies first. Good luck.
Thank you! We’re requesting a copy of the claim denial in writing. Thanks for that, didn’t even think of it! Also, dodge came back with a 12K estimate for an engine replacement. We have a copy of the original contract for the warranty. As far as we can tell, we’re covered. We got the 3rd tier extended warranty with $0 deductible. But the dealership said to hire an attorney and the warranty company will cave because now they have to prove that it was beyond a shadow of a doubt that the tires caused the issue.

Dougeco

Nov 7, 2020
Truck Year
Not Listed
$12,000. Wow.

The terms of the contract, and their legality in your state are critical. The warranty company will try to substitute a rebuilt, or worse, a used, engine and try to force you to replace as little as possible at a cheap shop that's not qualified. I live in NY, I'd get my local and state agencies involved before I hired an attorney. They may be able to pressure the warranty company to do what you need, at no cost. If that doesn't work, see an attorney.

Also, see if FCA/Ram is willing to share the cost/bring down the price a bit to build good will. Contact RamCares. It's worth a shot.

Miller001

Feb 26, 2021
Truck Year
Had same issue because of banks bullet, they know they have a junk product and will do anything to save a buck. Voided ,so I gladly did a class action for the emissions failure...at least i came out even and dumped the boat anchor...