• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2014 ram 1500 ecodiesel

Unwind1

Dec 14, 2021
Truck Year
Hello, I’m in desperate need of help especially after visiting the dealer today costing me 2 hours of labor without results.
I started out with codes P20EE, P2BA9, and if I remember correctly, P1288 NOx sensors.
I replaced the NOx sensors, dropped the tank, removed all the def and replaced the with new blue def.
Reinstalled the tank and noticed the def gauge was not correct so I purchased a new tank with new pump and new injector. Drove the truck on the highway for about 20 miles and scanned for codes when I returned and no codes came up. However, the countdown see dealer for def service did not go way and it ended up with 0 miles and the truck wouldn’t restart. The dealer ended up extending the miles to 40 and told me to drive so it could regenerate codes. I drove it for about 20 miles and still no codes.
Does anyone have any suggestion?

Cutch

Jan 21, 2022
Truck Year
Good morning. I have a 2015 Grand Cherokee Eco and just went through over 5 weeks of headaches with this engine dead at the dealer. Wrong DEF fluid detected, countdown wouldn’t go away. I’m hoping my experience and knowledge can help everyone. This thing is a nightmare if it’s not done by a tech that knows this specific engine. There should be a 2019 case study the tech at the dealer can follow. And you CAN get the thing to start when it’s dead at 0 by bypassing the starter relay under the hood (bypasses the starter button, you just have to set it to ”Run” and use a jump wire. The second it starts, remove the wire. Any mechanic should be able to show you how to do this.

The countdown will not go away after the tech fixes it if the procedure before you drive it isn’t done EXACTLY the way it is supposed to be done by the tech. It will also not go away unless you drive in the manner specifically outlined so that the engine can do its healing/relearn cycle And meet all of its specs/parameters. If driven properly, it should go away roughly 50km past 0 on the countdown. Mine reset at 38km past 0. However I drove like 400km twice and it didn’t reset. It appears it was because the tech didn’t do a forced regen just before I drove it or didn’t program it to do one during the attempted 1st/2nd healing.

To complicate things, it would appear that if ANYTHING else is wrong with the vehicle, it will not reset. My thermostat unbeknownst to me was sticking and it wasn’t getting up to like 205. It was stopping at like 180-185. It didn’t trip an engine light and the only way to know this was to drive with a scanner plugged in monitoring various systems and comparing them to specs. Also the DEF injector nozzle was slightly clogged, not spraying enough def. Again, no engine light. The BCM was also sporadically acting up on me. There’s also a sensor on the DEF pump which could be silently causing a problem too apparently.

On mine the following has been replaced - Cat converter, N0x sensor, def pump, def injector, thermostat and BCM. The wire connectors under the dash to the BCM were also cleaned as there was some “green death” in them. My headlights were blinking on occasion and the lift gate would open on its own/ doors would lock/unlock sporadically.

The tech also has to drain the DEF a lot, and then add, so that the DEF system apparently knows it’s been ”serviced” because it knows the fluid level. So if you try to reset it without the fluid level changing, apparently it won’t accept it.

If I had to do it all over again, I’d likely just do the delete. Bottom line, you need a good reputable Dodge tech that knows the engine, and follows the 2019 case study to the letter and is patient. If there is ANYTHING wrong with the engine, it appears it will not reset. A ridiculous design for sure and very expensive to solve. I feel sorry for the techs, it’s not their fault but take the brunt of our collective frustrations.

I hope my experience helps someone out there.

Cheers

Last edited: