• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2015 Eco engine blown 45k Miles

Poonjabberz

Mar 21, 2019
Truck Year
Completely stock truck that I occassionally tow a Supra 24SSV.
750 Miles after dealer oil change and fuel filter. I was pulling out of the hardware store and rolled into the throttle to get up to speed as cars were coming up. After getting up to speed I noticed a shake in the truck. Luckily the store is less than a mile from my home.
When I got into my driveway I left the truck on and jumped out and immediately noticed the knock (gas mechanic in a past life). Shut off the truck and had it towed to the dealer. It has been there since Monday and waiting for details from my case rep at FCA. I immediately called them as I am aware of how they work (all talk no execution).
I just got finished dealing with them after my wife's 2017 Wrangler turned out to be a lemon. The buy back process even with an attorney took 6 months. Twice they waited until the day before the hearing to offer new settlement terms. I am really not looking forward to dealing with them on this matter.

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
Continuing saga of spun main bearings and thrown rods. Can I ask what oil you used and whether the truck was running a stock tune or something like the GDE tune or Banks Bullet?

Poonjabberz

Mar 21, 2019
Truck Year
Completely stock truck. Dealer used Shell T6 for changes. I wasnt really aware of the Eco issues until after the motor blew doing some digging.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Brad.. Eco-Gate That's good and some's it up well...

FCA makes some good products ,But being a man of justice I just cannot overlook FCA behavior in the Eco-gate rigmarole.

MTB

Apr 2, 2019
Truck Year
Bought my Eco July of 2016 to tow a 5,400 lb travel trailer. Worked well for a couple of years until the EGR failed at 47k mi. Spent $2,700 to get it fixed and when I picked it up it had a warning for the coil to the starter. Fixed the coil and had oil changed, drove it about 300 miles and it was fine. Then the next day I was pulling my trailer on a flat freeway and the engine started shaking violently with no warning lights, smoke out of the hood. Told piston rod shot through block and hit some computer system. I was on a busy freeway and stuck on the side of the road with a 2016 Ram and a 2017 Trailer and tractor trailers screaming by shaking my whole rig. FCA took a week to accept responsibility, week to deliver another engine, and the dealership took 3 weeks to repair. No loaner and had to buy another truck if I was going to be able to live my life for the next month.

FCA stood behind their product but I feel that a week is way too long to worry if you have to pay for an engine and installation. Another week to deliver and about 3 weeks to install. And no loaner? I'm out of the Ram business and couldn't be happier. Truck over promises and under delivers. Sold my Ram to getmethevin.com and sold my Fiat to Carmax.

In my business you build loyalty when shit hits the fan by doing right by your customer and make a client for life. This organization seems to turn and burn. I hope this post convinces someone not to purchase this unit, my engine was good for 47,000 miles and the time it spent in the shop totaled about 8 weeks for all the repairs.

VernDiesel

Mar 13, 2017
Truck Year
MTB. First I feel your pain. Sometimes life experiences suck. That said it only sounds like lack of relative experience & perspective here.

First if Ram corporate got someone out to, evaluated, and accepted responsibility for your engine within a week I think that would be better than most automotive corporations. Next actually got a brand new complete and warranted engine to you in a week. Again I believe that would be better than most automotive corporations.

As to 3 week install that’s on your dealership. Probably same with your loaner. If your dealership doesn’t have a loaner program so they didn’t work on Ram to pay for a loaner on your behalf that seems to be partly on them and partly on you as I’ve read of many cases where Ram covered loaner costs for this scenario. Life gives you what you fight for. I’ve also read of Ram either providing or reimbursing you for the cost of the tow when not covered by your insurance/ AAA. I think Ram properly stood behind its product & warranty here but again failed in their hand holding communication & to capitalize on clientele relations.

100,000s of Ford diesel 6.0 & 6.4 engine owners got the royal shaft from Ford. By comparison Ram did well.

BRAD MILLER

Mar 22, 2017
Truck Year
I have to disagree Vern, as I got word from the arbitration panel today not to my favor for anything..... A Banks Bullet didn't cause my non-worked engine to implode. No engine tear down diagnosis, just no your warranty is null and void. Opt out Eco-gate emissions here I come.One way or another FCA will be paying!!!

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
I have to disagree Vern, as I got word from the arbitration panel today not to my favor for anything..... A Banks Bullet didn't cause my non-worked engine to implode. No engine tear down diagnosis, just no your warranty is null and void. Opt out Eco-gate emissions here I come.One way or another FCA will be paying!!!
is arbitration final? How did you get into arbitration? Did you use an attorney for the arbitration?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
VernDiesel, Yes the 6.0 had a host of problems, Head Gaskets, EGR, Turbo, HPOP and and Fuel Injection problems.

The Rotating mass was strong and held up well, The VM 3.0 has many problem in common with the 6.0, But the 3.0 is leader rotating mass failures of any Diesel in memory.

VernDiesel is no advocate for Owners that have incurred losses form the 3.0.... As long as Owners turn a blind eye to catastrophic failures and come up with just about every emotional excuse to overlook facts the 3.0 failure rates will continue.

FCA FOIA disclosed that FCA was producing 2000-2400 Ecodiesel's Per Month in 2015-16 and 200-300 Per month had complete rotating mass failures in 2016 , that's 200+ more likely to have your 3.0 fail than the 6.7 Cummins, Duramax, , Ford 6.7. Cummins 5.0 or just about any current produce Diesel Power Plant.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Decision: The panel does not have the jurisdiction to rule on this matter as the case is ineligible for the arbitration process because the issue is directly affected by the aftermarket part....

I stand firm on pay to play...In the 3.0 case it well known that its failures are directly related to the rotating mass, if anyone believes that any Pressure box will puke your rotating mass, than you need to believe your not the father of your Children...Their is No relationship to the failure and the Bullet other than being on the truck.

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
I stand firm on pay to play...In the 3.0 case it well known that its failures are directly related to the rotating mass, if anyone believes that any Pressure box will puke your rotating mass, than you need to believe your not the father of your Children...Their is No relationship to the failure and the Bullet other than being on the truck.
I would get an attorney to represent me under the Magnusson Moss warranty act. There is tons of evidence that at least 10% of these engines have grenaded. And that 10% is in the first 5 years of the engine's life. This 3.0 has bad main bearings, or it is put together poorly. Nobody seems to know exactly why these bearings are failing. One thing I will add is this - FCA will settle with you fast. They know they would lose in front of a Federal Judge.

My son has a 2006 F350 with the 6.0 and you are right. Now that it has the EGR and cooler off, it is a strong engine.

Last edited:

VernDiesel

Mar 13, 2017
Truck Year
Brad I would have to agree with you that the Banks Bullet had nothing to do with your engine failure. That said my post wasn't addressing your engine but I do appreciate your post none the less.

VernDiesel

Mar 13, 2017
Truck Year
TC Diesel No question the 3.0 has had far too high of rotating mass failures and no one I know of or have read about is denying or overlooking that fact. Credit where credit is due I believe you coined the phrase zero or hero motor. Its one of two true and accurate statements I have read from your postings in 5 years.

"VernDiesel is no advocate for Owners that have incurred losses form the 3.0" Show me where you contrived that defamatory statement from.

I am not an ambulance chasing lawyer trolling the auto forums for disgruntled owners. In fact I have zero interest and unlike you have never had any in anything FCA/Ram/ED etc related in any way. I've never even been brand loyal. Closest I come is wanting small diesels to survive & succeed in the marketplace. To which I have many threads on of a couple ED or diesel related forums spanning 5 years helping people get the most from their truck, which would make me a owner advocate or supporter. And not secretly since not a paid advertiser or site supporter trolling for business like I have witnessed from others. At least you did pick the right job for yourself in the way of making arguments for a living as I have watched you get into arguments with people all across the internet auto forums for years. Even watched you get permanently banned from forums for it. Again please stay off my threads or stop addressing and antagonizing me in them. Again just stop addressing me all together.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Vern .. you have limited recourses , most of your postings are supported by Your own personal experience or Info found on the Net...I do not discredit your View base on this platform.

I take it, its your beloved 1500diesel.com you speak of the banning, Again your resources are incorrect.
Any reader is welcome to contact Me , I was years ahead of anyone on the 3.0 Future and its current and passed short comings.
Vern in all your posting and the 1500diesel.com entire Mod crew cannot pin 1 misleading statement I made.

Back in 2015 I posted the Lube problem FCA agreed with Me.
Back in 2015 I posted the Ecodiesel would fail COC the EPA/DOJ agreed with Me.
Back in 2015 The Same on the failure would continue to raise Current legal documentation agreed with Me.
Back in early 2018 I posted NO 2019 3.0.

The Facts I started deleting Posts Back in early late 2015-early 16 at 1500diesel.com 97hmcs discovered what I was doing and Ask if I no longer wanted to be Part of the Forum, I stated was just deleting Posts that's when He banned Me.. Check with Crash68 He is the best Mod at that forum... I do see 97hmcs has capitulated on many short comings of the 3.0.

Facts Vern... Back in 2015-16 the Mods 1500diesl.com could not stand in the Ring with Me, they were getting Knock out at the ring of the Bell daily with the truth and it was hurting the Advertising $$$$$ It was the best way to quash the facts and silent Me.

I notice membership continues to drop at the 1500diesel.com and membership is on the raise here..

Again please stay off my threads or stop addressing and antagonizing me in them. Thanks for Supporting the facts, anyone that disagree with your viewpoint you attack... if anyone cannot support their views.. They should Not be adverting them....

Vern.. Members in this thread had blown engines.. Your Attempt to make the 3.0 and FCA look better then Ford... had no connection to help these members. Life experience's suck ,attack TC Diesel is OK ,feel the pain...How? when you do NOT recognize FCA legal and moral responsibility to these owners...4 years of production and the same Failures.

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
I think the 2019 / 2020 Eco diesel engine, and the differences between what we have, will tell the tale on what the problems are with the engine. Improved bearings, rods, bigger oil pan, etc. I look forward to someone doing a teardown / compare between the two engines.

When looking for a historical comparison between this engines troubles and others, I compare it to the Chevy Vega. Who remembers that far back to blown up Vega engines?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I think the 2019 / 2020 Eco diesel engine, and the differences between what we have, will tell the tale on what the problems are with the engine. Improved bearings, rods, bigger oil pan, etc. I look forward to someone doing a teardown / compare between the two engines.

When looking for a historical comparison between this engines troubles and others, I compare it to the Chevy Vega. Who remembers that far back to blown up Vega engines?

I am heavy invested in FCA ..I want the 3.0 to be successful.. Yep that's Right. That's why I'm so critical ,they could have gain such a market share that it would take GM/Ford Years to dent. I also pleaded with FCA back in 2010 to produce a family SUV. did FCA listen to Me..NO..and look at the $Billions$ lost to their competitors.

My Eco going back to FCA, they are asking Me to wait until the 2020 is out.....

My main concern is Cento QC fixed.