• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2015 Eco hydraulic cause?

Doug Wiens

Aug 6, 2019
Truck Year
My son went out one morning in Feb. and engine would not turn over. It had been using some coolant. Diagnosis was hydrauliced.
I just pulled the injectors and found some water in the left rear cylinder.
There is so much discussion about
faulty leaking egr system etc. Is it possible for it to have leaked into that cylinder? I don't want to replace a head gasket for no reason
or have the same thing happen again. Anyone have a similar issue?

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
Egr cooler will do it. Welcome to the group or blown head gasket

Last edited:

Doug Wiens

Aug 6, 2019
Truck Year
When you look into the nasty looking area where the egr tube goes should that show signs of moisture if it is leaking or is it beyond what is visual?

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
When you look into the nasty looking area where the egr tube goes should that show signs of moisture if it is leaking or is it beyond what is visual?
All you will see is gooey soot, kinda like the tar you spread on your driveway. If it's DRY soot, you're egr cooler is likely NOT leaking, but if you touch the tip of the diffuser tube with a screwdriver and it's gooey, wet, sticky, black, your egr cooler is leaking into your intake, NOT good...

Doug Wiens

Aug 6, 2019
Truck Year
All you will see is gooey soot, kinda like the tar you spread on your driveway. If it's DRY soot, you're egr cooler is likely NOT leaking, but if you touch the tip of the diffuser tube with a screwdriver and it's gooey, wet, sticky, black, your egr cooler is leaking into your intake, NOT good...
Definitely gooey sticky. So would that be enough to put water into the LR cylinder?

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
yup, it's spitting coolant into the intake, into the engine, and probably seaping into your oil too, that's not good..

that's what mine was looking like when my mechanic took it off and showed me. he ordered me a new cooler and it's been good since, until this one starts to leak too... then i'm going 100% delete, had enough of this stupid crap breaking down, in canada, we don't get any extended warrantee, so if the cooler starts to leak again, we either have to pay for it, or delete it. I'm going with option #2 cause I'm not paying $3000 every 50,000 km to replace this piece of junk. Obviously, if so many people are having the exact same problem, there's a problem with the part. FCA needs to figure out the problem and fix the part and not just replace it over and over and over, that's bs...

i'm gde tuned now, so I don't know what is causing the leak but hopefully without hot sooty exhaust in there, it won't break again, who knows..

Doug Wiens

Aug 6, 2019
Truck Year
As the truck is not running would a pressure test help to determine if the head gasket is leaking or would the pressure drop from possibly both the egr and the gasket make it difficult to figure out which?

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
if you read around the forum, the egr cooler leak is VERY VERY common on these trucks. most of us had them replaced already due to leaking that you can't detect other than the coolant dropping with no signs of any leakage.

Highly doubt it's the head gasket but I don't know for sure. if you've already confirmed your diffuser is wet / gooey, then it's your egr cooler because the egr diffuser should be dry soot, not wet.

Start with either replacing the egr cooler (around $2700) or deleting it with a kit and a tune. If you're still losing coolant afterwards, then look elsewhere.

Once I had my egr cooler replaced, my coolant hasn't moved in 10,000 km.

Doug Wiens

Aug 6, 2019
Truck Year
Thanks very much. I think you're advice of deleting the egr is what I will try first.

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
you will need a tune though to shut it off electronically., then you can remove the hardware and put in a delete kit.

Doug Wiens

Aug 6, 2019
Truck Year
Thanks. I've heard good things about Greendiesels delete reprogramming so I am leaning that way. I will phone them first though.

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
ya, as long as you're not in californazi state, you'll enjoy GDE. I'm happy with it so far, they've been around for several years and have a good reputation, they do a lot of testing on the ecodiesel trucks so I trust their tune. I wish I got the transmission tune too, but might be next year's investment... there are other tuners out there like SFT, and I've heard some good things about it too, so it'll be interesting to hear the long term effects in a couple of years

Doug Wiens

Aug 6, 2019
Truck Year
I'm in B.C. Fortunately we have no more emissions monitoring in place. So the only bad part is paying the U.S. $ exchange rate.

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
agreed, he does give a discount if you pay cash, but it's a long drive down for ya! I drove down from ontario, the tune was $50 off, and the cash discount so that was a huge savings with the exchange rate...