• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2015 ecodiesel Laramie 219k miles

Sp12354

Mar 28, 2021
Truck Year
Have a howl/grinding noise only when not accelerating or decelerating. No load on eng, trans, differential.
When noise happens shift to neutral it quits. Do not hear stopped at idle or reved.
New bearing kit in differential for constant howling.
Anyideas?

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
I’ve got the same noise, at 164k now had it for probably 10k miles. Idk what it is I attributed it to turbo brake from the off road tune resonating in the exhaust. I’d think pinion bearing but if you’ve replaced that then maybe transfer case noise?

Sp12354

Mar 28, 2021
Truck Year
2wd. GDE 1 tune.
Wonder what happens if they put wrong differential grease for the limited slip.

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
Idk, I know they reccomend a hard to find synthetic (I remember going to a few places to find the specific weight In synthetic) but I don’t remember anything about needing a friction modifier like my old ranger needed.

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
I noticed mine when I switched from stage 1 to stage 2, but it’s too late for me to try that theory 🙃🙃 hopefully that’s what it is! My 01 ram had a weird kinda thunking sound forever and my buddies 02 2500 actually had the same sound. Almost like Morris code. We never to this day determined the sound cause, just lived with it. But it was almost the same scenario that triggered it.