• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2015 Jeep GC ED Head Gasket Replacement

welpHereWeGo

Dec 31, 2020
Truck Year
Hello forum peeps!
I recently bought a 2015 Jeep GC ED. I love the design and performance but, as the title implies, I've got problems. The engine overheated on a road trip while pulling a trailer. No water pump leaks, no steam in the exhaust, no oil/coolant cross contamination. Just some gas build up in the cooling system. The gas build up seems to only happen when under extended load, so I believe the head leak is relatively minor. I've done many head gaskets in the past, but never a diesel. The dealer said it's roughly a $10k job, which leads me to believe there are some heroic measures involved. At this point, I don't have much to lose. $10k is cost prohibitive for a 2015 GC so I'm planning on attempting the head gasket replacement myself. Also, warranty isn't an option.
Have any of you pulled the heads on your ED? Any guidance or research advice would be greatly appreciated.
TIA

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
It bests to remove the cab. It can be done in Chassis, I suggest to lift the vehicle, remove the tires, put three nuts per rotor tighten down, lower the vehicle to ground, placing 1 8X6" OSB 1/2 to 7/16 thick and follow the manual on removal, It sucks because everything needs to be calibrated..... That being said if you mark every gear on two locations and I MEAN TWO locations, different colors, DO NOT ROTATE, Take several pictures, take your time, Double check to triple check your work, Did I say take your time MEANS take you time. I have never replace HG on any 3.0VM So I have no tip's, but many have done it and its well documented on the Net/YOUTUBE.

I did Remove My engine and replace 2 Main Bearings, it sucked pulling new motor just to check the work of VM, Its saddens/PO me that 1000s of 3.0VM owners did NOT heed My warning back in 2015 NOT to buy the 3.0 Because of Poor Quality control at VM Cento Italy.

OP even after the HG replacement Your bottom end is still subject to VM poor QC, Plus you will be replacing the plenum on the HG Job, I recommend you trade it in at some FCA Dealership that offers Used lifetime warranty and let the chips falls were they land.

Last edited:

welpHereWeGo

Dec 31, 2020
Truck Year
It bests to remove the cab. It can be done in Chassis, I suggest to lift the vehicle, remove the tires, put three nuts per rotor tighten down, lower the vehicle to ground, placing 1 8X6" OSB 1/2 to 7/16 thick and follow the manual on removal, It sucks because everything needs to be calibrated..... That being said if you mark every gear on two locations and I MEAN TWO locations, different colors, DO NOT ROTATE, Take several pictures, take your time, Double check to triple check your work, Did I say take your time MEANS take you time. I have never replace HG on any 3.0VM So I have no tip's, but many have done it and its well documented on the Net/YOUTUBE.

I did Remove My engine and replace 2 Main Bearings, it sucked pulling new motor just to check the work of VM, Its saddens/PO me that 1000s of 3.0VM owners did NOT heed My warning back in 2015 NOT to buy the 3.0 Because of Poor Quality control at VM Cento Italy.

OP even after the HG replacement Your bottom end is still subject to VM poor QC, Plus you will be replacing the plenum on the HG Job, I recommend you trade it in at some FCA Dealership that offers Used lifetime warranty and let the chips falls were they land.

Thanks for the info!
Ugh... I'm beginning to think the trade in is my best bet. I was excited about the performance specs of the VM engine but it's not worth all the uncertainty on such an expensive vehicle. If it was a beater then I wouldn't mind the uncertainty.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
If you decide to keep I will try and help, I'm not a 3.0VM expert like other power plants, I just know My way around the engine.

You may not like what you see in those heads , the 3.0VM likes to warp the Valves, If that engine pulsates when cold under light Throttle its going the be New heads, that may be in addition to one head being cracked, instead of bad HG.

welpHereWeGo

Dec 31, 2020
Truck Year
If you decide to keep I will try and help, I'm not a 3.0VM expert like other power plants, I just know My way around the engine.

You may not like what you see in those heads , the 3.0VM likes to warp the Valves, If that engine pulsates when cold under light Throttle its going the be New heads, that may be in addition to one head being cracked, instead of bad HG.

Thanks for help! At this point, selling it really does seem like my best option. It's time to cut losses.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
WeGo, Its never easy reversing a decision you made, But Wisdom Dictates when its Time to cut Ties if you do that the losses can be measured , if you don't the risked is increased and so are the losses.

I obviously don't have the details on your purchase, I only ask for you to consider your fellowman, Trade it in at some Ram Dealership that offers warranty on used or pre-preowned Vehicles, this way the unaware buyer will have recourse on the Dealership. I'm not having the debate How The dealership may incur losses They can deal with Fiat, I would hope the dealership would have the same Honor as the dealership that Bought DOC 5.7L after it lost a Wheel due to Poor install, Heck I figure that Dealership lost $8000.00 in that Deal.

welpHereWeGo

Dec 31, 2020
Truck Year
WeGo, Its never easy reversing a decision you made, But Wisdom Dictates when its Time to cut Ties if you do that the losses can be measured , if you don't the risked is increased and so are the losses.

I obviously don't have the details on your purchase, I only ask for you to consider your fellowman, Trade it in at some Ram Dealership that offers warranty on used or pre-preowned Vehicles, this way the unaware buyer will have recourse on the Dealership. I'm not having the debate How The dealership may incur losses They can deal with Fiat, I would hope the dealership would have the same Honor as the dealership that Bought DOC 5.7L after it lost a Wheel due to Poor install, Heck I figure that Dealership lost $8000.00 in that Deal.

Agreed. Letting FCA and/or the dealership take some responsibility for it would be ideal. I certainly don't want anyone else to be in the position I'm in now.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I tip My hat to You WeGo. Heck you can trade it in on another 3.0VM, If thats what you want (Not recommending that but some deals are worth the Risk) I checked some Dealerships Offer $100.00/250.00 DED on lifetime powertrain warranty for $250/500.