• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2015 Laramie intermittent Crank with no start

JasonDenos

Feb 25, 2019
Truck Year
I am the second owner of a 2015 Laramie ECO that I truly loved until lately. I have had this fabulous truck for about a year and just the other day when I went out to leave work it would crank but not start, would not fire. I tried unhooking the battery checked all the fuses etc. no luck. Ended up leaving the truck overnight and check on it the next day. Same thin Crank no start. So Had it towed to the Dealer. They were very busy and could not get to it for a few days. Once they got it the truck started right up for them and they could not reproduce the error and the truck had no codes. So I took the truck back and it worked great for about two weeks when it did the same thing. This time in my driveway at home. So I had it towed back to the dealer and when they went to get it off the tow it started. Again not code. The dealer kept the truck for a week this time and could not reproduce the error. So once again I took the truck home. Three days later it Stranded me at my kid's school. Again had to leave the truck overnight and when I showed up to the tow it started right up. It has now been in the Dealer for another week and they can not reproduce the no start issue. When the truck runs it shows no other symptoms it runs like a top. Just won't start when you get back in. Has anybody experienced this type of behavior? I'm getting close to camping season and really do not want to get stuck out in the middle of nowhere.

Thanks in advance for any help or Ideas.

-Jason

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
Next time it no-starts, stand outside the vehicle and turn the key to on but don't crank it. See if the fuel pump is making that whining noise. But ahead of the next failure I would change the fuel filter and tell us if it is really bad or not. It sounds like a fuel problem to me.

JasonDenos

Feb 25, 2019
Truck Year
CS, thanks for the reply. That is how I finally go the Dealer to check the fuel pump as the problem. After telling them I usually hear a wine from the pump before it starts. but not if its in a no start state. They finally decided they should look at the fuel pump. it only took them three weeks to do what I asked them to do the very first time I brought it into them. (very frustrating) They ended up replacing the lift pump in the tank. Apparently, it did not have the correct pressure and actually stopped on them a few times causing the truck to stumble. My extended Warranty covered the replacement, which was nice. So let's hope that was the problem. I have had the truck for back for 2 days and it's been great so far... only time will tell.

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
Good! I am glad for you! I would start looking around for the next closest dealer to the one you just used, or a really good independent repair shop.

JasonDenos

Feb 25, 2019
Truck Year
Well, I spoke too soon, Didn't have the truck back for 48 hours and it did it again. After making a few stops around town I stopped to get my kids from school and it would not start again. Scanned for codes and Nothing. Could not hear the fuel pump but after the new one was installed it has been pretty quiet. Had my wife come get me. let the truck sit for about 3 hours and tried again. Started right up, so I drove back to the Dealer. Once at the Dealership, I could not reproduce the error state and I am guessing they will not be able to either. Here we go again. I tell you I am this close to cutting my losses and going back to a gasser.

JasonDenos

Feb 25, 2019
Truck Year
Hey guys thanks for all the Ideas. After about three months and 2 different escalations to FCA they ended up bringing in a Chrysler Engineer who did some real troubleshooting and traced down the problem. It ended up being a bad Wire harness and bad Pin on the TIPM. I hope this is truly it. I have had it back for going on three weeks now and so far so good. Only time will tell.

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
that is a pretty rare issue. My company built wire harness testers for Calsonic, a supplier to Nissan. Wire harnesses are normally very well made and extensively tested.