• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2015 Ram Eco Diesel Ticking / Oil Leak

Justin Winner

Mar 15, 2024
Truck Year
My dad has a 2015 Ram EcoD, 150k miles. Just had the High Pressure fuel pump recall and replaced the whole fuel system. about a month or two later, he did a full delete on it, turbo back straight pipe. Has a tune on it, adds "60" horsepower, not really a hot tune but kind of is when you get on the throttle hard. He hasn't had any issues with it since he put the exhaust and tune on until now. The truck randomly started to tick, near the high pressure fuel pump, but it is not coming from the high pressure fuel pump, and there is oil spraying around the passenger side of the engine. I cannot see where the oil is coming from directly but it is on the front, top half of the passenger side of the engine. Could this be an injector problem? High pressure fuel pump? EGR cooler? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

This is a link to a video showing the oil, and of the ticking.

Also I have seen forums about things similar to this, and I have heard it could be the High pressure fuel pump but I have also only known of ticking from a high pressure fuel pump right before it blows up. It started ticking when my dad was going to work, and when I picked it up it ticked the whole way home.

Jpop0077

Mar 13, 2023
Truck Year
So the high pressure fuel pump does tick when in operation, that’s why they have a black cover/noise guard over it.
Oil leak is probably the left side timing cover. They do require “high torque RTV” if he will be fixing that himself

BTdriver

Aug 30, 2018
Truck Year
I'd also check that front injector installation for proper sealing with the head - sounded to me like an exhaust/combustion leak, the oilyness seems to originate around the injector, and there was smoke being pumped out immediately after starting as opposed to having to warm up a min before smoking off the exhaust manifold.

My .02, hope it helps.