• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2015 Ram won't start

idoru99

Jan 11, 2024
Truck Year
Good evening, all!

I purchased the Ram new in June of 2015, currently just under 85k miles. I did the AEM settlement and W58 software update.

Now, for the fun story. The day after Christmas, I was traveling to my parent's house in Dayton, OH from Northern, VA. Just myself and 2 dogs, enjoying the relatively light traffic and the drive.

About 2 miles east of wheeling, WV, I had to slow for a merging semi entering I-70. Once the left lane traffic passed, I got into the left lane and pressed the gas a bit (did not floor it) to get around the slower semi, which was going about 45 mph.

As soon as I hit the gas, the truck lurched a bit, got a CEL and the throttle body light lit for a rew seconds. Truck kept running, sounded fine; no clunking, screeching metal on metal clanking, no sound it of the ordinary. I couldn't, however, accelerate. Pressing the gas revved the engine a bit, but no acceleration.

Pulled off at the next exit, About half a mile after the trucks lurch. Was a bit worried about a transmission failure, sure to revving and no acceleration, but the truck responded fine at the lights as I got to a large Cabela's parking lot.

Shut off the truck, hoping beyond hope that it was an anomaly and a shut down would clear the code. Of course, that didn't happen and the truck wouldn't start. It would just crank, as if no fuel was getting to the injectors, or the injectors wouldn't open.

Got it towed to the nearest dealership in St. Clairsville, OH- about 15 miles. Dogs did find in the truck alone, as I was in the tow truck.

Since I got to the dealership after 5, we dropped it their lot and I walked to the nearest hotel for the night.

Being Christmas week, vacations and a short week, dealership couldn't get it l to it right away, so rental was in order.

Finally this past Monday (after using the rental to get back home in VA) they finally got a chance to look at it. After an hour of diagonis, the service desk called me to tell me that the tech heard a "slight squeak" under the truck while trying to start it and that told him that I have a spun bearing or a stuck bearing. Fix would require a new engine for $15k and no ETA for a new engine.

Now, I've never rebuilt an engine, but I do drag race a bit. Spun bearings don't really squeak, they scream! At least what I heard did.

Now I'm working on getting it to a shop in Dayton for a second opinion. That tow should cost about 1100-1200, based upon the 190 miles between shops.

So, what do you think? Am I crazy to second guess the tech? Should I let them get the ball rolling on replacement? Does a secon opinion make sense? What would you do?

Love the truck, it's in great condition, otherwise. If this is what is required, the truck is effectively totalled. Pretty upset about the whole thing.

idoru99

Jan 11, 2024
Truck Year
Forgot to add.

I did put my OBD2 reader on it in the parking lot before the tow. 0339, I think. Crankshaft position sensor A was the wording.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Naaa, it's not a spun bearing...The VM 3.0 has such a horrible History on puking The Dealership just does not want to deal with it.. There's simple procedures to check Fuel system, intake, rotating mass, etc...It also could be as simple as a bad connection. IMO after you do get it running sell. this is just a tremor compared to the future failures and problems you will likely incur.

Dec 14, 2015
Truck Year
I have a 2015 Ecodiesel with 118,500 miles just 1,500 short of ending the extended warranty. I have had this truck since Dec.2015 and have been very happy with the truck and the dealer. At this point I plan to keep it a while longer as I am working on being debt free in 2 years. I have had 2 times the truck stopped on me, first was the tone ring on the flex plate and second was the in tank fuel pump. Both repairs were covered in full by the warranty and the towing was covered by my auto club membership. Hope your fix goes well and is covered by the warranty. F.P. Thompson aka Chicora hillbilly