• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2016 dies whie on vacation.

robertD

Jul 16, 2021
Truck Year
While on vacation with the family my 2016 ecodiesel died. I was making a store run and the engine just stops running. The engine woudn't start, seemed like it wanted to. But, it wouldn't start. I had it towed to the local dealership where they refused to look at the truck. At first they told me they were covered up and couldn't help me. I explained I was from out of town and stranded. Didn't matter they weren't going to look at it. I ask the service manager if they could just look at it to see if it was something simple. His response, 'It's not going to be simple." Then he begin to tell me what a piece of crap this engine was, he didn't see the point, etc. I asked to speak to the General Manager at this point. I explained my situation, I was from out of town with my family, basically stranded. He told me they weren't excepting any more ecodiesel work. They had 5 in the shop already. He also told me they wouldn't be selling any more. I didn't understand his response, I'm a Ram customer after all. I love my Truck. It's been our family car, my wife even loves it. To his credit he did call around to other dealers to find someone to work on it. So I had to have the truck towed to another dealership 45 minutes away. So, Im into $500 towing fees even before the truck is looked at. I had to leave the truck 400 miles away from home. The dealership took only 4 days to diagnose the problem. The high pressure fuel pump decintegrated leaving metal pieces in the fuel system. This will require the pump to be replaced along with the entire fuel system, injectors, fuel rail, the tank dropped and drained and cleaned. The total cost will be $8000. The dealership said it was caused by water in the fuel. but, then I found all the class action lawsuits because of the Bosch CP4 failures. It seems this pump may be a weak link due to the differences in diesel fuel here compaired to other countrys. But, an $8000 repair is a hard pill to swallow, even if I do love the truck.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I have lost count on the same event happening to 3.0VM owners, In My 40 years career in DSL repair why do 1/2 Buyers NOT investigate before buying? or even after the purchase. loving objects is something that should require years of faithful service First......

$8000.00 somewhat High its about $5000.00 at many places. Yes the VM 3.0 is hated/disliked at many places.....So taking it on trips increases the cost and down time..... When failures Happen.

robertD

Jul 16, 2021
Truck Year
I have lost count on the same event happening to 3.0VM owners, In My 40 years career in DSL repair why do 1/2 Buyers NOT investigate before buying? or even after the purchase. loving objects is something that should require years of faithful service First......

$8000.00 somewhat High its about $5000.00 at many places. Yes the VM 3.0 is hated/disliked at many places.....So taking it on trips increases the cost and down time..... When failures Happen.
TC, thanks for the reply. I just told my wife a few months ago about all the problems I was seeing on the forums. We discussed going backe to gas engine. Even went and looked at some trucks. But, never pulled the trigger. You can bet the day it's repaired it will be gone. As far as the cost I did call around to a couple of independent diesel service shops. They both said the price was not far off from what they would have charged. So, I would have to transport it about 350 miles. I just decided to leave it where it's at and save the transportation cost.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
OK ,Robert it does sadden me to Make such statements , I bleed DSL and I had great expectations of this engine.

Just to be fair 6.7 Cummins Turbo actuator is problematic, So I carry a spare in the Truck at all times, With My Alfa and MX.

I begged Fiat in Late 2016-2017+ to change out the power plant with 1 they have at FPT (Fiat Power Technology) arsenal during the EPA shutdown.

Those FPT power plants have years of faithful service Marine/Industrial use.

robertD

Jul 16, 2021
Truck Year
Well, the truck is repaired, to the tune of $9250. It was hard to write that check! My case was denied by Ram due to fuel
contamination. I have a sample of the fuel and there is something in the fuel. But, I don't think it's water. I have opened a case with the place I purchased the fuel. I'll see how far this goes.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I have opened a case with the place I purchased the fuel. I'll see how far this goes.

Ram always blames fuel from posters on here it seems. Maybe I missed it, but how long has it been since you purchased that tank? If it's to long it will be harder to prove it's the stations fault.

robertD

Jul 16, 2021
Truck Year
Ram always blames fuel from posters on here it seems. Maybe I missed it, but how long has it been since you purchased that tank? If it's to long it will be harder to prove it's the stations fault.
It's over a month now since I purchased the fuel. I was assigned an adjuster and he's seems to be taking it serious. I'll see how this goes. I'm not holding my breath.

Brianzane

Jun 10, 2021
Truck Year
I bought the 17 eco diesel in question. I know nothing about this engine and not an expert in gas either. I just want something to tow my travel trailer. Did I make a mistake?

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I bought the 17 eco diesel in question. I know nothing about this engine and not an expert in gas either. I just want something to tow my travel trailer. Did I make a mistake?

Not necessary, but it's pretty much known the ecodiesel has more issues than any other modern diesel out there, period.

Will it affect you, I'm not sure. Drive the truck and enjoy it, and if you personally can't live with knowing the odds are higher on this truck breaking in comparison to others out there then I would recommend selling it.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I recommended OA for all VM 3.0 Owners, this will not stop the unknown failure, But it will certainly give advance Notice before puking. I have yet to see and OA Trend that was NOT correct. The big fleet owners do engine tare downs on OAs.

Additional filtration will stop the CP4 from premature failure, 8/10K miles service with OAs will make your ownership more reassuring. Drive it like a DSL upgrade your foot (No dart Driving) will lower the soot intake. No short trips on daily basis.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Oil Analysis.

Dtol

Aug 14, 2021
Truck Year

Is the 2020+ version of the VM 3.0 ED hated as the earlier versions seem to be. Is that engine significantly different than the earlier versions. Are the same problems happening. Haven't seen anything that indicates that the rate of failure is as high.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Its simple.... marketing. Their were 0 VM 3.0 Ecodiesels sold NEW in N/A for over to 14 months 2016-17. Most 2017-18 were leftovers 2017s

I'm not aware of any VM 3.0 ED manufactured in 2019.

Their's just not enough sales 20-21 to even consider the ratio VS 2014-16.

Caterpillar, Cummins and most DSL power plant builders dropped the emission technology VM is using in today's VM 3.0 20-21. likely for valid reasons.