• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2018 RAM Laramie ecodiesel with 61,000 miles just quit on me!

SMarcelino

Nov 21, 2023
Truck Year
I was accelerating onto the freeway when my truck seemed to be losing power, then the "Low oil pressure" came on and the engine quit! won't start...
My mechanic wanted to looked at it because he recently did a 60,000 mile service.. He found aluminum chips in the oil filter! not a good sign, he said it is some kind of internal engine failure ...
It's now at the dealer being looked at! I can't help but think this is because of the recall? If the motor has to be replaced (which I'm pretty sure it will have to be) it better have the revised problem parts! and then I'm questioning if I should get ride of it in 20-40K miles on the new motor...
Thoughts?
Thanks, Steve

Sunnyside

Jul 11, 2023
Truck Year
Exact same thing happened to my 2018 Laramie eco diesel at 61,000 miles. They replaced motor and I put on over 65,000 on the new motor and it's still running good. It's a crap shoot!

pcravens

Jul 6, 2023
Truck Year
Mine is a 2017 Laramie eco replaced mine at 69000 now has 122000 on it , but 2 new turbos , new DFP filter , new intake , 2 egr valves and coolers and several other items

SMarcelino

Nov 21, 2023
Truck Year
Wow, Yea I'm seriously considering getting a gas or hybrid ram... They are doing away with the eco diesel, I'm sure for the reason that we have encountered! lol
I'm glade I have the Mopar extended warranty!

Coxmun

Oct 26, 2019
Truck Year
My 2018 Eco D Laramie Limited has 114K kms (70K+ miles) & hasn't had any major engine issues; only scare was the transmission temp ran up to 265F (135C) a few years ago on a hot summer day, but the check engine light did not come on; I stopped driving, let it cool down, & it never happened again. The dealer couldn't / wouldn't cover anything as there was technically no fault to diagnose!!! (this despite taking a picture of the readings) I have read about this issue, but I agree with Sunnyside - can be a crapshoot; I would buy another diesel, but would need to step up to the 2500 or 3500.............. the biggest issue I have had is the back bumper rusting out at the sensors (within 3 years), & the chrome running boards bubbling (replaced under warranty once, but FCA refused a 2nd time when exactly same issue appeared a year after the 1st replacement.........)

RandyZinck

Dec 2, 2023
Truck Year
my 2019 ecodiesel did the same thing, low oil pressure then blew a rod through the block. 128,000 kms/79500 miles. Canadian warranty runs out at 100,000kms. The dealership acted like they have never heard of the ecodiesel problems, yet when talking to one of the mechanics, they have already done some under warranty, but know there isnt any more motors around. The estimate for mine was $28,000. Chrysler Canada said they wont do anything to help me in this matter so it now sits in my yard, making huge payments for a truvk that will never move again..unless they come up with a fix haha, mechanic also told me it is inevitable that most of these motors will fail, all in due time.