• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2019 High mile success stories

FarmerBob

Mar 21, 2023
Truck Year
Lot of negative talk on here (..and for good reason), but does anyone have some good high mile success stories for the 2019 ecodiesel? If so, what do you do with it, how do you treat it maintenance wise, any mods, ect.? This might make some of us feel a little better about our purchase.

Freedom319

Mar 28, 2021
Truck Year
Lot of negative talk on here (..and for good reason), but does anyone have some good high mile success stories for the 2019 ecodiesel? If so, what do you do with it, how do you treat it maintenance wise, any mods, ect.? This might make some of us feel a little better about our purchase.
I've got a 1st gen 2014 with 195,*** all original, no mods and no issues. Don't follow the "manufacture" or dash intel for changing fluids. Do the oil every 5k and the fuel filter every 10k. Try your best to not consistently drive it short distances on a regular basis and when and if you can get rid of the govt bull crap on the engine and that will help. I still have a warranty which is the only reason I haven't done it myself.

FarmerBob

Mar 21, 2023
Truck Year
Why do you say not to drive it short distances? I watched a youtube video awhile back saying that it takes a little while for the engine to reach ideal operating temp, but the way I see it, the engine operates for the same duration in the sub-optimal operating temps regardless. What I mean by that is; if you drive 5 miles and shut it down, it never reached 210 (or whatever temp it likes), but if you consistently drive 100 miles, it still has to operate cool for the same 5 mile interval to warm up. There are a lot of diesel car motors out there also that are used for short trips that don't seem to suffer from their usage to the best of my understanding. You're not the only person who has made that comment about short trips, I'm just not sure I've seen a technical/official reason as to why and a definitive cause and effect correlation. Not saying it isn't true, I would just like for someone to explain it a little better for me.

Freedom319

Mar 28, 2021
Truck Year
Why do you say not to drive it short distances? I watched a youtube video awhile back saying that it takes a little while for the engine to reach ideal operating temp, but the way I see it, the engine operates for the same duration in the sub-optimal operating temps regardless. What I mean by that is; if you drive 5 miles and shut it down, it never reached 210 (or whatever temp it likes), but if you consistently drive 100 miles, it still has to operate cool for the same 5 mile interval to warm up. There are a lot of diesel car motors out there also that are used for short trips that don't seem to suffer from their usage to the best of my understanding. You're not the only person who has made that comment about short trips, I'm just not sure I've seen a technical/official reason as to why and a definitive cause and effect correlation. Not saying it isn't true, I would just like for someone to explain it a little better for me.
AT short distances it seems to cause the exhaust filter to get full more quickly because it doesn't get hot enough for a regen, and then you are forced to go out and drive on the highway to clear it. Some have reported their truck goes into limp mode because the filter gets to 90 or 100% and they're forced to go to the dealer.

FarmerBob

Mar 21, 2023
Truck Year
That makes perfect sense. I can understand that clearly. The videos and posts might have stated that and I just missed it, but I get it now. Thanks for the reply!

Freedom319

Mar 28, 2021
Truck Year
That makes perfect sense. I can understand that clearly. The videos and posts might have stated that and I just missed it, but I get it now. Thanks for the reply!
My pleasure, for the record, I still think it’s a great little engine. It just needs to used properly.

rayplumas

Sep 21, 2023
Truck Year
I have a 2016 Tradesman with 135000 and with luck many more trouble free miles. Zero problems so far, regen comes on more frequently but power and mileage are still good. 21 MPG empty, 13 MPG pulling 26 ft trailer. I am concerned about the engines blowing up. My old Turbo Diesel had some issues but they were all financially manageable. Blown engines are not manageable.!!

Ramman1

Jun 7, 2019
Truck Year
I have a 2016 4x4 Lone Star with 200150 on it, had the transmission rebuilt at about 160k, I had it deleted and tuned at about 175k along with a turbo replacement, runs cooler, no def, picked up 40 hp, and no turbo lag. I’ve meticulously maintained it with T6 oil changes at 9000 miles. I’ve Replaced rear control arms 3 times so far, tone ring fell apart and cost me 2k, but that’s now a recall for my VIN, so I expect a refund. I’ve replaced the front 4x4 actuator 2 times also. But I’ve had it 7 years from new, so I look at most of that as maintenance, of course brakes and rotor changes along the way too.

CVR_71

Mar 17, 2023
Truck Year
I've got a 2016 tradesman 4x2, regular cab, longbed, all stock with just a bit short of 170k miles.

I've had it since March, but I've only put about 4k of the miles on it.
Mostly commute to work & back, about 10.5 miles round trip, 5-6 days per week.
About once a week, I'll go out for longer drives (15-20 miles) plus spend time in traffic doing errands.
Occasionally, maybe once a month?, I'll go out for like an hour drive up into the Sierra foothills & back, or similar.

Only repairs so far, I had to replace the de-gas bottle (dripping from a small crack in one of the inlets/outlets), and replace what was apparently the original battery a couple of weeks ago.

Scheduled to go in for oil change, the tone ring programming recall, and general check up at a local-ish dealer next month, should but at 170k miles by then. (weirdly, they asked if was interested in selling it the last time I was there.....)