• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2020 Def Pump Failures

scottsalyer

Feb 20, 2021
Truck Year
Hello! I stumbled across this community while trying to find more information on whether others have experienced failures with a 2020 Ram Ecodiesel's DEF pump system. I purchased my truck brand new from a dealership (my first diesel ever) and with only 11K miles on it over the last 10 months, I've now had the DEF pump replaced twice because I'll get the "engine won't start in X miles" warning after filling the tank.

The dealership has been awesome to work with, but I'm worried I'm approaching lemon status and just curious if I'm just super unlucky or if anyone has heard of this before? Unfortunately, my dealership says I'm their only purchaser of an EcoDiesel so far, so their only knowledge about this is mine and they have no other comparisons.

Thanks in advance!

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
DEF pumps rarely fail.
When they do its related to the Urea in the DEF Mixture 33/67, Unfortunately your 2020 has Quality Sensor and not the common sensor 2014-19. Those 2014-19 May/use Distilled water. 1000s have been doing that in other models. That being said Your sensor triggered at 22% so you can mix 2.5-3 Gallons DEF to 1 Gallon Distilled water that's around 24/76 that will help for No Def Pump/Injector Problems.

scottsalyer

Feb 20, 2021
Truck Year
Interesting! Would that have also affected the gauge as well? Meaning, when it was low I put in over six gallons of DEF fluid, turned the truck back on and the gauge - both times - indicated the tank was still almost empty, hence the "engine won't start soon" warnings.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
OK... If the Gauge reads empty it will not start, Your dealer is incompetent, The Pump is not the problem, Did the dealer reset the DEF gauge?

DO NOT PAY ANY ATTENTION TO THE CLAIM OF RUNNING YOUR DEF TANK LOW AND REFILL. DEF gauges are all over the place when allowed to near empty, at just around 1/4 Tank Mix 2.5-3 Gallons of DEF and add 1 Gallon Distilled Water.

scottsalyer

Feb 20, 2021
Truck Year
To the best of my knowledge, the dealer has fully replaced the actual pump twice now. Only reason I could guarantee the tank was full is because I was filling it up and a little spilled out (after one 2.5 gallon jug and four 1 gallon jugs). I'll definitely keep that mixture in mind going forward though! Out of curiosity, since I only recently learned you can get DEF fluid at a truck stop, would the pump version have the appropriate mixture or is it the exact same as the boxed version? Apologies for any newbie questions - I didn't even know what DEF fluid was until I got my first warning two months after purchasing the truck :)

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
All API certified DEF is 33% Urea and 67% Deionized Water.

By Alfa and MX OBD2 the Yellow one and You can re-set the DEF Gauge yourself, Since you have 2020 You will need the Bypass module for the SGM (Secure gateway Module) to enter the programing and clearing of Codes.

If you plan on keeping this truck You will need to increase your understanding of how modern day Bluetech DSL operate.

The dealer should have just re-set the Gauge and sent you on your way, if continue tank replacement would be necessary not just the Pump.

In most cases When replacing the DEF pump you need to program the DEF Module and Re-set the Gauge.