• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2021 High Pressure Fuel Pump Failure

Adam.lupe

Apr 27, 2022
Truck Year
My 2021 Eco Diesel with 16000 miles engine sputtered on me then completely turned off the other day. Went to start and only cranked. Got it towed to the dealership. Mechanic said he can diagnose it in 10 minutes. Looked like he pulled a pressure transmitter off the front rail area and in the bowl, copious amounts of metal shavings. Says it can be possibly 3 months to get parts (HPFP, RAIL, INJECTORS, LINES).

Has anyone experienced this? How did you handle the situation? Anything extra I should do about the engine? I was thinking they should drain the oil and cut open the oil filter to see if any metal particles are found. Maybe an oil sample test

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
Cp4 fuel pumps are notorious for it when poorly lubricated fuel is used

Codfr152

Oct 27, 2019
Truck Year
My 2021 Eco Diesel with 16000 miles engine sputtered on me then completely turned off the other day. Went to start and only cranked. Got it towed to the dealership. Mechanic said he can diagnose it in 10 minutes. Looked like he pulled a pressure transmitter off the front rail area and in the bowl, copious amounts of metal shavings. Says it can be possibly 3 months to get parts (HPFP, RAIL, INJECTORS, LINES).

Has anyone experienced this? How did you handle the situation? Anything extra I should do about the engine? I was thinking they should drain the oil and cut open the oil filter to see if any metal particles are found. Maybe an oil sample test
Same situation here but a 2015 with 91,000 miles. Mine failed the last week in March. The dealer has everything but the fuel rail, which has been pushed back to "tentatively" June 6. The only bright spot is that I have the extended warranty from the settlement so it's all covered. I've been renting cars and trucks as necessary but FCA customer service won't commit to covering the rentals. So far all they've said is that I'll probably be reimbursed for 10 days...it's been 60. It's pretty disheartening. I maintain the vehicle correctly and it's covered by warranty but those facts aren't getting me much.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
I use retail diesel. The manual says no additives are necessary--haha. What's the common wisdom on how to ensure well-lubed fuel?
Use any additive designed to add lubricity. I currently use Hotshots products.
Also know that water in the fuel is the worst thing for the CP4 pump, will guarantee failure
I don't believe the debris can get to the engine. Have never heard of a pump failure doing that. The failure ruins the entire fuel system, including the tank via the return line.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
John the required additive Ratio to make a difference is 4oz per gallon, Your better off buying Bio-diesel and adding NO additives when possible. Check you local station drop sheets for Bio-diesel, in the Midwest its everywhere. MN is 20% Biodiesel May 1 to Oct 31 and Nov 1 to April 30 3%.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
John the required additive Ratio to make a difference is 4oz per gallon, Your better off buying Bio-diesel and adding NO additives when possible. Check you local station drop sheets for Bio-diesel, in the Midwest its everywhere. MN is 20% Biodiesel May 1 to Oct 31 and Nov 1 to April 30 3%.
Yes, I know, bio is great (the best) lubricity and also has cleansing qualities. I am not a fan of bio as it reduces mpg and power, but it looks like I have no choice as I'm told that Califunny enacted the 20% bio rule. However, I cannot find any confirming documentation.

Last edited:

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
It has little effect on MPG You may lose 1/4-1/2 MPG, it differently off-sets the losses in $$$$ repairs.

Tony church

Jun 21, 2022
Truck Year

Ram said my 2019 has a recall on the high pressure fuel pump. But not much help if they fix the fuel pump if the motor is in for replacement. 70,000 miles. And it been sitting from June 3rd dealership said maybe sometime in August it will be fixed. Dealership said I was third eco diesel with a bad motor that week in June. I counted 5 eco diesel parked by my truck and a few with a sticker on the windshield not for sale. My eco diesel started on fire or melted all the wires last August. My truck was not on the recall the deal said my truck had the new parts or the parts that where re-engineering they said it should not have failed. I think fire did the motor in last year, they should have replaced the motor. I don’t think Fiat has a fix for the 2019 motor.

ShanePi

Sep 1, 2019
Truck Year
Just started using Hot Shots diesel fuel additive. Says 1-2 ounces per 25 gallons.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Snake Oil, The ratio's Need to be in the 2-4oz per-Gallon to have any effect.

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
ihave 4 fords 2 repair not mine i am not that stupid 2 buy a ferd they all needs a set of injectors ans a pump BIG BUCKS!!!!!

Duncan

Sep 1, 2022
Truck Year

My 2016 Dodge Ram eco diesel has been down since July 2022 FCA says parts not available