• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2300 miles since new

2018WPEARL

Apr 19, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
Good morning. Will have approx. 3000 miles when I will have owned it for 1 year. Dealer is claiming a OIL CHANGE once a year regardless of driving condition. No towing and around town with no trips over 30 miles and normally sees 45mph as a average. Never had anything in the bed. Oil maintance readout says 70% remaining. Opinions please. Thanks Frank

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
welcome learn to change your own oil its cheaper now that they told you if anything goes wrong it will b your problem

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
My opinion is you really should drive that truck more. But yeah, once a year seems pretty reasonable. I wonder how old the diesel is in your tank and if it has anything growing in it....

2018WPEARL

Apr 19, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
I am retired so the mileage will never be normal. Always fill up where a lot of semi's do thinking it will be fresher. Just started on my 5th tank of fuel. Avg. 24 but never had it on a open highway run for any length of time. Thanks for the reply.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Welcome! I would send off an oil sample to get it tested to see how the oil is holding up over that period of time. Places like blackstone labs, etc can do it. If nothing else, it will give you a piece of mind!

2018WPEARL

Apr 19, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
My friend sent out oil samples from his motorhome at times but not sure where. I will google them for more info . Thanks

MSP548

Aug 30, 2016
Truck Year
I would change the oil. Lots of short trips in town isn’t the best either. Fresh oil at least annually seems like good advise.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Your "tested" oil would probably report it's okay to continue with it. The problem comes if you have an engine problem. FCA is going to deny paying for it because you did not follow their rule of changing the oil at least once a year.

I have the same issue as I average 4-5000 miles per year and 90-95% is making very short local runs. That's the worst thing one can do to a diesel engine and it's oil. I change the oil once a year myself, the easiest oil change of any vehicle I've ever owned.

The best advice is to get the GDE tune, it shuts off the EGR and ends my worries about making short local runs.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Probably, yes... but isn't that why we test it?
Yes, it is. My point was you will void your warranty if you don't follow the FDC rules of changing the oil every x miles or once a year.