• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

3.0L Eco Diesel vs. 5.7L Hemi

Jeff Vince

Mar 8, 2021
Truck Year
My 3-year lease is about up on a 2018 Ram 1500 3.6L I-6 gasoline engine and towing capacity of 7,300 lb. 3.55 axle. I feel it worked too hard pulling my camper so for my next lease I am considering the 3.0L Eco Diesel with 9.500 lb. towing capacity. However, the Ram salesman is pushing me to the 5.7L V8 gasoline engine because it has higher towing capacity of 11,200 lb. with 3.92 axle. My camper ratings are: Hitch Weight 728 lb., GVWR 7500 lb., UVW 5574 lb. I own a 2015 Passat 2.0L TDI and enjoy having a diesel car. It seems the 3.0L diesel truck will have better mileage and longer distance between fill-ups. (The RPMs on the 3.6L I-6, when towing, ran 4,000 minimum so oil changes came up very quickly. I am hoping the 3.0L diesel will fair better.) Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

ToeTruck

Mar 5, 2021
Truck Year
Jeff,. My 2017 Ecodiesel handles that weight well. My camper is 33' dry weight of 7000 tongue weight of 920. I do have air bags installed to help with tongue weight. I get around 11-14 mpg towing . I'm sure mileage could be lower in very hilly areas I travel mostly to beach areas. I am enjoying mine so far and have had no issues other than recalls. Good luck! 2017 Ecodiesel 4x4 crew cab big Horn

Ironcity

Dec 16, 2020
Truck Year
Being that you will be leasing the truck, I would not have any concerns with using the ecodiesel over the hemi. If you were buying, I would have concerns. I assume it is the latest generation ecodiesel as well and it may not have all of the problems of the previous eco, I don’t know.

But my 2016 eco tows a 7,000lb TT ok.

QUOTE="Jeff Vince, post: 36061, member: 12415"]
My 3-year lease is about up on a 2018 Ram 1500 3.6L I-6 gasoline engine and towing capacity of 7,300 lb. 3.55 axle. I feel it worked too hard pulling my camper so for my next lease I am considering the 3.0L Eco Diesel with 9.500 lb. towing capacity. However, the Ram salesman is pushing me to the 5.7L V8 gasoline engine because it has higher towing capacity of 11,200 lb. with 3.92 axle. My camper ratings are: Hitch Weight 728 lb., GVWR 7500 lb., UVW 5574 lb. I own a 2015 Passat 2.0L TDI and enjoy having a diesel car. It seems the 3.0L diesel truck will have better mileage and longer distance between fill-ups. (The RPMs on the 3.6L I-6, when towing, ran 4,000 minimum so oil changes came up very quickly. I am hoping the 3.0L diesel will fair better.) Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
[/QUOTE]

Jeff Vince

Mar 8, 2021
Truck Year
ToeTruck. Thank you for the response. If you would, please tell me the axle ratio you have in your truck. I met with the dealer today and he is recommending the 3.92 ratio to get the towing capacity I need for my camper.

Jeff Vince

Mar 8, 2021
Truck Year
Being that you will be leasing the truck, I would not have any concerns with using the ecodiesel over the hemi. If you were buying, I would have concerns. I assume it is the latest generation ecodiesel as well and it may not have all of the problems of the previous eco, I don’t know.

But my 2016 eco tows a 7,000lb TT ok.

Hello IronCity: Thank you for your response. Please let me know the rear axle ratio you have in your truck. Also, what is your fuel tank size? I am not unique in my quest: better MPG and larger fuel tank to obtain longer distance before fill-ups. My current 3.6L V-6 (not I-6) only has a range of about 200 miles....which makes for allot of stops when driving out west from Michigan. The other problem with the 3.6L, that I want to fix with the 3.0L diesel, is lower RPMs when highway driving. With high-revving 3.6L gas engine the oil change light comes on all too soon.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
I would agree with the 3.92 gearing based on personal preference only, although I think you would be fine with the 3.55 as well. Ceteris paribus, take the best deal.

ToeTruck

Mar 5, 2021
Truck Year
ToeTruck. Thank you for the response. If you would, please tell me the axle ratio you have in your truck. I met with the dealer today and he is recommending the 3.92 ratio to get the towing capacity I need for my camper.
3.92 axle in mine

Ironcity

Dec 16, 2020
Truck Year
Jeff,

My camper is similar to yours and toe trucks. My truck has the 3.92 gear. It doesn’t struggle, but I never take it above 65mph and haven’t had any issues while towing. Since the weights are at the limits of the truck, I would opt for the 3.92. It will still get better mileage than the hemi with 3.21. You hear the turbo spooling, but the engine does not scream like a gasser. Usually doing about 24-2500 rpm cruising in 7th gear with a 6,900lb TT.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
In a lease theirs no advantage to the VM 3.0 Vs 5.7L the $3200.00 less cost in itself makes it unattractive Plus all the risk of AECD that are known to be problematic for the VM 3.0, The Eco has been removed form all of FCA and VM all campaigns it now call just a diesel for good reason.

My 2019 limited 5.7L 3.21 out performs My 2015 Loaded Laramie 3.92 VM 3.0 in every category. The Cost of DSL Vs Gas erases the advantage the DSL at one time had.

I rarely towed with both but when I did the 5.7 out pulled the 3.0 VM.

Now if you were to decommission AECD and in HWY use you May break even at 150K miles.

The 3.6L Vs the 5.7L the only advantage to the 3.6L is MPG in daily use, you will fine the 5.7L towing Mileage close to the 3.6L with twice the Power and comfort.

Ironcity

Dec 16, 2020
Truck Year
I never leased a vehicle and I assumed everything would be covered by the dealer, but wasn’t considering down time. I would personally get a 2500 for towing a TT of these sizes. I had the truck first though. After my engine failure with low miles, I can’t recommend an ecodiesel over the hemi. There is one HUGE advantage to any diesel truck when pulling a TT though. That is filling up at truck stops and using the big rig pumps. Pull straight in and have no worries with the trailer. I would hate trying to maneuver around the gas pumps with my trailer.