• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

3.0L Ecodiesel Enginer Replaced

Rancher4j

Mar 11, 2021
Truck Year
Hey all,

My wife was towing a 5000 lb trailer up a hill near Grand Junction, CO and my 3.0L Ecodiesel engine blew up. I was in the driver seat not paying much attention but she had not been on the hill long, so don't think she did anything wrong. Truck had 63,000 miles on it. We towed it to a local Dodge Ram dealer and they said engine warranty had two months left and they are going to replace it. We live 4 hours away. We had to put trailer in storage.

The truck is supposed to be ready in a week. I have a few questions:
1. When Dodge replaces these engines, it is a brand-new engine or a rebuilt or remanufactured one? Do they break it in at the factory at all?
2. I've read a lot of talk about whether I need to break it in or not, and how. My instincts are to not tow for 500-1000 miles. However, I do have to climb a steep hill to get home from Grand Junction that takes me from 4,500 ft to over 11,000ft elevation. Is it wise to scale a hill this steep, even without a trailer, or should I drive the truck around at flatter elevations for a while?
3. Anybody have a good check list I should send to the dealer of things I want checked out after the engine install so I don't drive 4-5 hours only to find there are problems with the truck (oil leaks, engine vibration, etc)?

Thanks for the help! Really appreciate it!

Dave

Frank246

Feb 20, 2019
Truck Year
My replacement engine was loaded with oil from the factory and I was told by both the tech and the service mgr. that they now run them at the manufacture before shipping and no break in period is required. The oil change requirement on the new engine remains at 10K and is set that way when the new engine is installed.
FYI: now have 1200 miles on new engine and it is interesting that it is getting, from the electronic display, 34+ mpg at 65 mph over 270 miles just today.
Same trip in previous engine could only get right at 30 mpg. Seems pretty nice at this stage.

Rancher4j

Mar 11, 2021
Truck Year
My replacement engine was loaded with oil from the factory and I was told by both the tech and the service mgr. that they now run them at the manufacture before shipping and no break in period is required. The oil change requirement on the new engine remains at 10K and is set that way when the new engine is installed.
FYI: now have 1200 miles on new engine and it is interesting that it is getting, from the electronic display, 34+ mpg at 65 mph over 270 miles just today.
Same trip in previous engine could only get right at 30 mpg. Seems pretty nice at this stage.
Thanks for the feedback Frank!

Pascal Benoît

Feb 26, 2023
Truck Year
Hey all,

My wife was towing a 5000 lb trailer up a hill near Grand Junction, CO and my 3.0L Ecodiesel engine blew up. I was in the driver seat not paying much attention but she had not been on the hill long, so don't think she did anything wrong. Truck had 63,000 miles on it. We towed it to a local Dodge Ram dealer and they said engine warranty had two months left and they are going to replace it. We live 4 hours away. We had to put trailer in storage.

The truck is supposed to be ready in a week. I have a few questions:
1. When Dodge replaces these engines, it is a brand-new engine or a rebuilt or remanufactured one? Do they break it in at the factory at all?
2. I've read a lot of talk about whether I need to break it in or not, and how. My instincts are to not tow for 500-1000 miles. However, I do have to climb a steep hill to get home from Grand Junction that takes me from 4,500 ft to over 11,000ft elevation. Is it wise to scale a hill this steep, even without a trailer, or should I drive the truck around at flatter elevations for a while?
3. Anybody have a good check list I should send to the dealer of things I want checked out after the engine install so I don't drive 4-5 hours only to find there are problems with the truck (oil leaks, engine vibration, etc)?

Thanks for the help! Really appreciate it!

Dave
Pay someone a couple hundred bucks and get your trailer towed home today... Call dealer for info it's better to get it from them...

Dougeco

Nov 7, 2020
Truck Year
Not Listed
What year was your truck? How long did it take Ram to get engine for you?

Pascal Benoît

Feb 26, 2023
Truck Year
My truck is a 2014, I bought an engine, I have no deal with the dealer.. I Am the third owner without a warranty