• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

80k EGR tube and MAP service.

Hodgexj

Jul 15, 2018
Truck Year
So after having my truck at the dealer for over a week for the Service Electronic Throttle Control message I'm trying to make sure I'm 100% on top of this truck. Granted the light was from a bad exhaust temp sensor it still left me feeling uneasy with hearing these stories of failures. Fast forward to the past couple days and I've been getting a weird rough idle, almost misfire feeling when truck is warming up. Between 130* to about 175* than the symptoms disappear once to SOT. Went to autozone and grabbed some cleaners, some VP additive and got to it. I suspected that the fuel I got was crap, so I tossed in a bottle of de-emulisifier, disconnected the battery and pulled the tube and sensor. Holy crap. I know the EGR TUBE being cleaned doesn't do much but I wanted to see the status in my upper intake. Terrible. The pic of the map sensor is a good indication, use your imagination. I'll be doin the gde tune when I can afford, fingers crossed this rectified my issue. No lights, no drivability issues just a weird shudder at idle. Dealer has been great to use but is backed up pretty bad so I tried to eliminate the easy things first to see if it continues. Really hoping this thing doesn't turn into a headache. I don't mind maintaining the truck, but this is a bit ridiculous.

On a side note, I'm not sure if it was the battery disconnect or map cleaning but I did notice bit of difference in the way it drove around town. Figured at first it was in my head but drove around a bit to get some fresh fuel cycled in and it definitely has a bit more snap in around town driving than before. Now onto the pics....i had a 5.9 Cummins before this and I can't believe they convinced themselves this is a good idea. With 300k on it the 5.9 intake was embarrassingly cleaner than this.
ac2490ec9619d244a8085eb0bd54a656.jpg
b1a8818667ca2083efcac348ac60d224.jpg
51260fc501ddd9e101865367f2a347f9.jpg
d73782dd2baba1b52fc9f727b4a258ce.jpg
d7f09ab6adcadd71bfa8010ddad0c229.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Hodgexj

Jul 15, 2018
Truck Year
It's odd, the egr was all soft and took about 1 min to clean inside and out. The map was coated in a shiny "oil coking" that was hard and brittle. It's easy enough to do it's more of a nuisance than anything really. Still can't be good for the motors whatsoever. Gone are the days of diesels being low maintenance it seems.

Rob 2018 Laramie

Jul 16, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
I have a 2018 ecodeisel and I’m worried about all that crap going in the top end too. I only have about 9,000 but I’m seriously thinking about a GDE tune and whatever they recommend to keep me in the long miles. So far zero issues. I am just afraid of voiding my warrantee but what good is the warranty if the engine goes to crap when it ends. I would like to get about 300,000 miles out of that engine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hodgexj

Jul 15, 2018
Truck Year
I got this truck in July. 65k on it roughly. It must have been a foreman truck or site truck in a fleet, maintenance was good, but it has a TON of idle hours on it. Prior to my trip to the dealer there was no warranty work done aside from some faulty 4wd actuator. Even still my work wasn't covered under warranty, and it seems there's a lot of loop holes that they use. There's plenty out there running untuned for years with nary a problem, most local dealers here don't see them as frequently as we make it out in our heads.

Quality maintenance intervals and products just need to be a habit, as well as quality fluids. I change fuel and oil filters every oil change, use rotella syn oil and make every effort to get top tier fuel with high turnover stations. These trucks have potential and I think their major downfall is the egr. The amount of crap that reintroduces into the intake is just terrible. A good tune to disable that and some good maintenance should yield happy ownership. I posted since my experience has had some oddities compared to my search results, my first CEL was an exhaust temp sensor, and I pulled both components in the pics out of curiosity and pursuing an inconsistent issue. Peace of mind knowing
A: my egr isn't leaking
B: both are clean and ready for quick service cleanings now from here in out.

Modern vehicles are completely different from days prior where things were simple. Our 3.0l motor makes about the same if not more power than the 1994 model 7.3 powerstroke and far surpasses it in efficiency at less than half the displacement. The good thing about forums is knowledge, take it with a grain of salt, learn your vehicle, become in tune with what's normal and what's not with its habits and characteristics and drive it. Most of all enjoy it! My 2006 Cummins wasn't supposed to last 300k out of stock injectors or clutch according to the internet, but I sold it, running just fine, with oem filtration, on a stick dual mass clutch.

Get a clean running tune for the EGR, drive it and enjoy!