• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Advice Requested - Service Electronic Throttle Control

chiropaul

Sep 19, 2019
Truck Year
This forum has been really helpful thus far, but I have an odd situation that I am hoping to get some advice on. We were lucky enough to get the Service ETC light 1 week after we purchased our used Ecodiesel, which is a 2016 with about 50k miles on it. We took it to dealer and they cleaned a sensor and said it was fixed. The next day the light came back on, and we took it back to the dealer. This time they said it needed 3 injectors, apparently at least one was leaking. When I was talking to the Service Advisor (SA) she said "Oh we aren't surprised, our tech expected it to probably come back in, but Chrysler makes us do the cheapest fix first".... Well that is really reassuring!!

They had to wait on the injectors to come in, and the truck was supposed to be ready this past Friday, but I got a call from them mid-day Friday saying that they needed to order an additional injector because one was still leaking. This morning the SA called and said they put in the new injector and it was still leaking. I'm not 100% clear on if this additional injector is a "4th" injector replaced, or if it is replacing one of the 3 they put in Friday. According to the SA they apparently had a hell of a time removing one of the leaking injectors, and it makes you wonder if they didn't strip something when they took the old one out?

The SA told me that they are now planning to put some sort of sealant on the leaking injector to see if it stops the leak. I asked what they were using (like RVT silicone or what?) and the SA said she wasn't 100% sure but that whatever it is takes like 15 hours to set up and that they want the truck to sit for a day and a half before they know if it was fixed. She said that if this didn't fix it then it would mean either a new cylinder head or new motor.

So the advice I am looking for is this: Do I even allow them to try and pass off this sealant as a "FIX" to this problem?? To me it sounds like the same kind of amateur crap I would try to pull off on my 24 of Lemons Car just to finish a race. I don't think this is a legit, long term fix, or am I wrong?? Is this what Chrysler is instructing the Dealer to do? Or is this their own fix? How much of an A-hole should I be about this "FIX" or should I just let it go?

To those who have dealt with similar issues before, at what point do I try and push them for a new motor? Should I let them put a new head on it, if that is the case, and possibly screw up a whole host of other issues??

I started a case with Ram Customer Care, but had to update the owner info and I guess that may take a day and then they can escalate my case.

So frustrated. At least we have a loaner truck right now.

chiropaul

Sep 19, 2019
Truck Year
Well they ended up replacing the entire motor, will get the truck back in 10 days!