• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Advise and Reviews please

Moose88

May 23, 2024
Hello everyone! I’m brand new to this forum and I wanted to ask for opinions and feedback on the 3rd gen eco diesel engine. I’m looking for honest feedback please! I’m debating on buying a 2 owner 2020 eco diesel ram 1500. It has 54,000miles on it and they’re asking $30,000 for it. I don’t think the price is bad it’s also at a RAM dealer. It originally a Florida truck I’m assuming this dealer bought it in auction since they didn’t take it in on trade. I drive on average 140-160miles a day for work I’m a carpenter in Boston and I do a lot of side work which is why I’m looking to buy a truck rather then a car.
Good and bad feedback is appreciated

How are these engines really?
Do they take a lot to maintain?
How are the transmissions and the rear ends?
How long should this truck realistically last?
What should I look out for?

Thank you all!

BTdriver

Aug 30, 2018
Truck Year
Hello Moose,
Here's my 2¢:
Generally, they are decent trucks, but there are a couple of things that it will need to live a long time. First, the oil needs to be changed at 7-8k miles (not the 10k the OM says). Plus I recommend putting some sort of viscosity additive in as well (I use Lucas synthetic oil stabilizer). The additional protection for the main and rod bearings lends itself to long engine life. Second, get a tune to make it run cleaner and more efficiently - Green Diesel Engineering, Sofa King Tuned, etc. Third, run a fuel additive every tank - This helps lubricate the injection pump - ULSD by itself doesn't quite do it. Most common additives will work fine, I use Howe's and Power Service, there's also Hot Shots. Also, this will help with running cleaner and more efficiently, too.

Ok, maybe that was 3¢ worth...

StanRam2

Jul 6, 2023
Truck Year
Hello everyone! I’m brand new to this forum and I wanted to ask for opinions and feedback on the 3rd gen eco diesel engine. I’m looking for honest feedback please! I’m debating on buying a 2 owner 2020 eco diesel ram 1500. It has 54,000miles on it and they’re asking $30,000 for it. I don’t think the price is bad it’s also at a RAM dealer. It originally a Florida truck I’m assuming this dealer bought it in auction since they didn’t take it in on trade. I drive on average 140-160miles a day for work I’m a carpenter in Boston and I do a lot of side work which is why I’m looking to buy a truck rather then a car.

Thank you all!
I have 2015 Ecodiesel. 180,000 miles on it. One NOx sensor and brakes. Rustproof it every year and change oil way before the warning. I change mine at 40% left. Use Mopar fuel filters and don't drive city only. They run great. 30 grand is a good price.

TWFJR

Feb 8, 2024
Truck Year

Thank you all!
I'm an owner of a 2022 Limited, Eco Diesel. I have seen two problems with this truck. First, and most serious, is the front camshaft seal going bad. Before you buy, check to see if there is engine oil leaking below the front plastic cover. Crawl under the front of the engine and if it is leaking you will see the oil at the center of the bottom of this plastic cover. If this is the case, the seal needs to be replaced. This can be a problem because the engine has been discontinued. Not only that, but there are no camshafts to be bought if needing replacing. Here's the problem, many of these Eco Diesels are blowing their engines at around 60,000 miles. The front cam shaft seal, in my estimation, is the beginning, or warning that the cam shaft will break and blow the engine.

Secondly, last year I had new tires put on the truck and insisted on an alignment. One year later, the right outside edge of the tire is heavily worn. On the right side of the truck, the tires are worn to being nearly bald. The left side is worn to the wear bar. These tires were aligned, rotated and balanced throughout the year. The tires had 13,000 miles on them. The truck would not pass inspection. I put new tires on, had them aligned and balanced and after one week the front right tire began to show outside wear. I took the truck back in and service did another alignment and told me that the right front wheel was aligned and did not need alignment, but the left side was out of alignment. Service asked if we drove on gravel roads. I asked if the air suspension was causing the wear on the tires. The service agent sent me on my way, stating that at the next oil change they would do another alignment. I wonder is there is something wrong with the suspension.

I love this truck, but I am concerned. I know of a rebuild that would cost $8500 plus installation. A new engine (if you can find one) would cost $22000 plus installation.

StanRam2

Jul 6, 2023
Truck Year

Thank you all!
Further to my previous post. I had an EGR recall and the dealer screwed my ecm to bad fuel economy and lack of power. I bought the Green Diesel Engineering tune. That restored the economy and power. 2020 ecodiesel shouldnt have that problem.