• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

AEM Flash Review

earlymopar

May 1, 2019
Truck Year
I just received the AEM notice and did read the warranty. Anything extended and free is usually good. I just don't want to lose the performance and economy I have and invested in with the GDE controller. That's the only reason I'm on the fence.

- EM

Ram For Life

May 25, 2019
Truck Year
So I haven't seen anyone open a dedicated thread for this but Ill post my thoughts of the flash below and feel free to add your experiences below.

2016 Ram Ecodiesel:
I received the flash 6 days ago. In that time I have had a chance to drive my truck under many circumstances including around town, and on the highway.
Yes. The truck performs significantly worse than it did before.
When rolling after a sharp turn in my neighborhood, coming out of the turn at ~10-15mph and speeding up to 40, I put my foot down to throttle it to ~40%. The truck seems like it doesn't get up, but VERY gradually speeds up and eventually some how goes to VERY high RPMs.

When rolling ~40mph and stepping on the gas there is an EXTREMELY noticeable turbo lag ~2.5 seconds.

Running from start seems to be okay. Slower than before but adequate.

If I would have test driven the truck running this way from the dealer, there is no way I would have bought it.

My bottom line: Don't do the AEM unless:
1. You're okay with this preformance
or
2. You have an ECM to swap or the money to tune immediately after.

Good luck guys!
I had the same problem, considering getting a GDE tune and the trans tune from the as well.

Patrity

May 2, 2019
Truck Year
1264fd87de66f63d5bdc75628823078d.png

MarzMiller

Jun 17, 2019
Truck Year
Aw man, you're lucky. Mine still says my AEM installation is pending because the dealer still hasn't sent the paperwork in. So now my suffering is prolonged since it's been almost a month since the recall was done. I gotta say, this AEM has destroyed my trucks performance. I have a 3" leveling kit and 35" mt's. I was averaging 22.5mpg, and that has since dropped to just over 17mpg. The worst part is the turbo lag, and the lack of acceleration on the highway.
I also just dropped $600 on my A/C because the "relay shorted out", which happened as I was driving it out of the dealer's gates after the flash was done... And as someone who doesn't believe in serendipity, this did not sit well with me.

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
Mine says the check is on the way as well!

Marzmiller, I don't believe in repair coincidences either. The last one to touch it usually broke it.

Patrity

May 2, 2019
Truck Year
Aw man, you're lucky. Mine still says my AEM installation is pending because the dealer still hasn't sent the paperwork in. So now my suffering is prolonged since it's been almost a month since the recall was done. I gotta say, this AEM has destroyed my trucks performance. I have a 3" leveling kit and 35" mt's. I was averaging 22.5mpg, and that has since dropped to just over 17mpg. The worst part is the turbo lag, and the lack of acceleration on the highway.
I also just dropped $600 on my A/C because the "relay shorted out", which happened as I was driving it out of the dealer's gates after the flash was done... And as someone who doesn't believe in serendipity, this did not sit well with me.

Tune that son of a gun. My SFT programmers showed up in the mail today. Gonna race home (as fast as this POS, post-AEM slug will go) and slap those tunes on ASAP :)