• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

AFe power oil pan

DTM

Nov 15, 2016
Truck Year
Has anyone installed one of these? I'm looking to buy one. Looks easy to do. What are the benefits? I heard the oil pan needs to be dropped to change the trans oil filter. Does this need to be performed with every oil changed? I heard the pan and trans oil filter are one unit. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

bobcat67

May 19, 2016
Truck Year
should probably clarify what you mean here. There is engine oil pans and transmission oil pans, I'm assuming you mean transmission oil pan. If so benefits are usually a little added capacity, and a better heat dissipation

DTM

Nov 15, 2016
Truck Year
The guy I was talking with thought I was talking about transmission pans when I was trying to get info on oil pans. I'm good now, thanks for the response.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
The transmission filter is integrated with the transmission pan, completely unrelated to engine oil or pan. The extra capacity pan is just for peace of mind for those under extreme load, aka frequent tt tow'ers. Alternatively just change the oil before the 10k. Simple enough

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
AFE makes a larger engine oil pan it holds about 2 extra quarts which helps cool the oil system.

PPE makes a transmission pan which has replaceable a filter and is made out of aluminum instead of plastic. Which well be less expensive to service and more durable.

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
I was surprised that AFE took the time to research, develop, and manufacture the oil pan. You wouldn't think there would be a market for an engine pan, but somehow AFE came to the conclusion that it would be a good product to offer. I literally don't know anyone who has purchased the pan. There's a theoretical cooling benefit just from the extra 2 quarts and aluminum finned deep pan, but it would be neat to see some actual data. Anyway, if my factory oil pan was leaking, then I would probably replace the pan with the AFE at that point. I kind of hope my pan leaks, lol.

CLAUDE AKLEY

May 28, 2018
Truck Year
I use the AFE oil pan.

Primary reason is the extra two quarts of oil. Secondary is the ever slight oil cooling effect of the finned oil pan.

As most of us know; the ecodiesel has a 3-7% risk of main bearing failure. Most likely in part or partial part due to oil. More oil has to be better; in that it provides more/longer additive protection. Also the extra two quarts allow for slight decrease in oil temps.

I got it for 200$ as a manufacture cast defect sale. Took maybe 1hour to swap. I'm ok with that. It just maybe, hopefully, possibly help me not have a bearing failure during my ownership.

swordfish

Nov 15, 2015
Truck Year
i installed one one my2015 eco, piece a cake, i think i had loose the bracket for the cooler lines that run under it,
and i used a sealer i got from the chevy dealer used for there oil pans and valve covers, maybe an hour total....

biodiesel

Nov 24, 2020
Truck Year
A guy who has rebuilt a few EcoDiesel engines told me this:

"There is a texture on the factory pan that absorbs some of the RTV. If this pan does not have the texture (looks like it doesn't), then I'd say you'd probably want to go with a little less than the factory pan calls for (3 mm). I'd probably go with what is recommended for the bedplate (1.5 mm) which is also a flat surface interface on both sides."