• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

After market Remote Start

solarvic

Jun 28, 2015
Truck Year
I am getting a Compustar brand remote start installed on my truck.. They have a plug and play wireing harness that eliminates cutting into and connecting wires in the trucks wireing harness. My biggest concern is a few questions about the the time setting needed for the intake heaters or glow plugs. I bought my truck april 13 after winter was over. So far we only had a couple days that had freezing temperatures. Seems like the glow plugs are ready in about a second before starting.. How much time is needed at _20 f, and 10+ and 20+. F?
#2 question Will the glow plugs quit heating automatically when it is heated enough to start, even if the heating time is set to long on the remote start? I am going to ask the installer a few questions about time setting for the glow plug and see if I can change the timer myself. I did go to the dealer where I bought my truck and they estimated a cost of over #600.00 to install the factory remote start. I feel the after market remote system I am getting is way better than factory and gives you lots more option.s. The Tip Start remotes can be programed plus the 2 remotes I get with the system. There is also a remote with a 3 mile range if I wanted to buy it. Can not see why I would need that kind of range when I already have about 1800 ft. with one of the remotes I will already have. Hope to get some answers soon as I get my installation in 2 days.

diesel power 2014

Oct 3, 2015
Truck Year
Looks like a good system.Info that I know of first thing yes I don't see you needing a remote for 3 miles,1/4 mile or less
should be ok.Try to get a remote with a 2 way system,as it tells you that the truck has started,and I know that good systems can
have a delay of up to a minute.I was told by a very good tech that installs these systems that 10 to 15 second delay works great
and more than enough time to cycle glow plugs and good to start.

solarvic

Jun 28, 2015
Truck Year
OK, I think Maybe I will have the installer to set it up for about 4 or 5 seconds to start with and see how that works. Mostly what I am concerned with if the glow plugs are set too long if it will hurt them. My old 91 cummins had a wait to start warning and it didn,t come on till it was in the high #)f range. When it was around zero F it was on maybe 6 to 8 seconds. After it started the heater would intermitly come on a few times till the engine smoothed out some. I have a 2 way remote kit that has a picture of a car and it has a clock, fumes emiting out of the tail pipe and gives you all kinds of info. with 1500 ft. range and a 1 way remote is included. and I also will have my tip start keys programed.. So with 4 remotes counting my keys I should not get locked out as long as I carry my one way remote. .

diesel power 2014

Oct 3, 2015
Truck Year
I can understand your concern,and good thinking on your part.The 91 is very old tech,but with the new engines
as you can see very different.I had no problem with mine last winter and yes was plugged in and -30 f I counted no more than
8-10 seconds max on glow plugs,and they do not cycle again unless truck has to be restarted.Another thing make sure
your DEF tank is kept at no higher than 3/4 tank showing on gauge,as will expand and crack the tank.I drive truck for a living
and never have trusted fuel tank gauges always looked in tank(s) on truck can't do that with the ram but DEF Is somewhere
60-80 % water keep that in mind.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Block heater is essential to minimize engine wear but the 10 second delay would probably be best for glow plugs to assure any weather starting. And if it's not a temp issue well it's 8 additional seconds that you didn't have your truck running after you asked it too. Not the end of the world.

The new ceramic glow plugs are extremely fast and efficient even in cold

solarvic

Jun 28, 2015
Truck Year
I am not that impatient to have to wait 10 seconds for the glow plugs to work. I was mostly concerned that it could harm the glow plugs if they were on too long. Maybe they automatically shut off automatically when they heat long enough. I will ask the installer person to set it up for the winter and ask how much trouble it is to set it for a shorter time after winter is over. I will let you guys know what he tells me after I get it. Yesterday I got my bedliner. It looked preety sturdy but has open holes where the tiedowns are located. I might not have bought it if I would have known that. I think it should have covers over the holes like my brothers GM bedliner on his silverado truck. The brand is RUGGED.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
The truck won't heat it a solid 10 seconds it's just a delay to let the computer get everything up to temp. So you won't do any harm overheating the glow plugs with an unnecessary delay.

Theoretically it should be just 10seconds set it and forget it. Good enough forever

solarvic

Jun 28, 2015
Truck Year
Got my remote start last week. Does everything it is supposed to. There is lots of different delay times for the remote start. Got it set for 10 second delay which is probably longer than needed. Run time of 30 minutes before it shuts off. After all the horrow storys I have heard am wondering if I should have bought a v-6 gas. I only have one vehicle now and make a lot of short trips. Why I got the remote start set to run for 30 minutes so it would be to operating temp.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
A lot of short trips really isn't an issue you just need a good highway drive once a week to clear out the system. And if the filter gets 80% and you get an EVIC message so what? It's no big deal, you can sit for 10 minutes at your destination and run it at about 1900rpms (which is a little tricky to hold with the drive by wire) and let it burn off. No wasted driving. No big deal. Takes 10 minutes.

Talk to truck drivers, when their trucks need to regen (they have a regen switch) they run at higher rpms for 45+ minutes.

Nobody here with any horror story really wants you to fear your truck. Just to help.

The diesel isn't something to fear but it is something to learn about and be in tune with.

Most learn to Love it.

Last edited:

Mharrison

Jun 17, 2015
Truck Year
Ya the truck truly doesn't have to be to full Temps every run you just need to make sure you have a little heat and good oil flow through the turbo before you go jump on the highway...my daily commute is literally a mile and a half I remote start the truck a few minutes before I'm ready to leave and go. I have only ever had a forced regen once at about 1000 miles have nearly 7k now.