• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Air Suspension System Replacement

Bob S.

Sep 1, 2016
Truck Year
Has anyone done a complete air suspension replacement to upgraded stock system !

John

Nov 13, 2015
Not that I've seen. Might be better off trading for a model with air suspension.

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
Every one I know of is taking the air ride off and putting springs on it

Bob S.

Sep 1, 2016
Truck Year
My wording was a little off, yes to replace the existing air suspension with stock upgraded spring and shock system! (I had about all I can take of that air suspension system, here in the north). Any suggestions as to what everyone is using and how are they eliminating the code issues!

Last edited:

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
Sorry to hear you guys are having issues. I had read other threads from a couple of years back about cold weather issues. My wife and I have had no issues with either of our air systems short of a weak fuse. We have taken several off of older Land Rovers but in the last couple of years the system was redesigned and many of the issues with them have also been alleviated. My neighbor purchased a 2018 2500 Crew Cab with spring suspension, within one Toy Hauler RV trip, air bags were purchased and installed. He loves them with the onboard air compressor.

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
There is another post air compressor leaking he just converted his to springs said it was cheap and easy

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
My 2014, 2015, 2019 Ram 1500s, 2017 2018 Jeep Summits All Air-ride and No problems, All of them stay in the heated/cooled Shop that's de-humidified and Air filtered. So I would agree extreme outside environment does have effect on the system.

Bob S.

Sep 1, 2016
Truck Year
Well I thought we had handle on the Air Suspension system with break line antifreeze and the desiccant air filter on the compressor vent, work for a while now the front has collapsed completely!
Biting the bullet and replacing the complete system with standard suspension coil over shock and springs and shock in the rear to solve this FCA defective system! One less continuing problem to have to worry about. This will be the OEM suspension system with factory warrenty so I will let you know how it all works in a couple of weeks.

Bob S.

Sep 1, 2016
Truck Year
Bruce, that's correct and they well pull a vacuum on the system prior to filling it with dried nitrogen. Where we get into trouble is if there is leak and moisture can get in the system. The vent from the compressor can also be a source for moisture in the system that's why I had extended the vent line into the box of the truck (have a cap on it) and placed a desicant air filter on prior to the RAM filter. It worked for a while the brake line antifreeze and the desicant but to my suprise fail on August day and they can not find the reason. I am sure when we take out of the truck there will be a leak in one of from bags and that cost to replace is not in the cards for me, just to repeat itself if a few more years!

Bob S.

Sep 1, 2016
Truck Year
Just picked up my Eco Diesel from the shop, they stripped the air suspension out of the truck and replaced it with factory standard suspension (two year warranty).
Truck sits a little lower than I thought it would by a couple of inches!
Ride is very good in the city and HWY not quite as smooth as the air suspension system when it was working properly but will be way less hassle. HWY speeds at 120 kph seemed fine along with cornering.
I am doing a road trip through the mountains next week and will let you all know if there are any problems with the system when I return.

Bob S.

Sep 1, 2016
Truck Year
Re: Factory Standard Suspension Replacement: 2,300 km through the Canadian Rockies to Kelowna BC and back, suspension is great should have done this complete change over at the first sign of trouble from the air suspension system! It would have cost me way less money in the end. I do get a Suspension Warning on startup but it goes away and does not register on the system.
I will do one more update in January after running loaded from the COLD to the warm Sun!

Marko

Jun 5, 2018
Truck Year
Bob, Can you provide info about the new system? Manufacture? I'm needing the same thing.

Thanks

Bob S.

Sep 1, 2016
Truck Year
Marko, this is an OEM replacement available from my RAM dealer and comes with a two year warrenty. All RAM parts so can be repaired at any RAM dealer in North America.
Attached photo shows how it rides today, I still get the Air Suspension error on startup but it goes away and leaves no messages.
As I said earlier I wish I would have done this at the first sign of trouble with the system, it would have saved me money and allot less stress while travelling across the US and Mexico!
If you need the specific part numbers let me know and I get them of the bill.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    190.2 KB · Views: 15