• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Air Suspension

nkhagen

Dec 17, 2019
Truck Year
So for those that have run across a freezing compressor and want to head off issues before they cost a pile of money, here's what I did.

Supplies:
R-134a Gauge Set
Nitrogen tank from local welding supply store
Nitrogen regulator
Adapter
Vacuum pump

That's really all it tkes. I had to get a little creative with the adapter to get from the nitrogen regulator to the yellow line on my R-134a set but it's doable.

Drop the suspension to entry/exit. Pull the fuse that controls the system. Connect the blue line from the A/C gauge set to the tanks, between bed and frame rail on passenger side behind the rear tire. Vent the system to air. Connect the vacuum pump and pull as close to a perfect vacuum as it can get. Ideally leave it running for a bit just like you would on an A/C system to allow any water to boil off.

This next step I had to get creative because I had a leak I couldn't find with soap. Get a bottle of airbrake antifreeze and some UV A/C dye. Put some of the UV dye into the airbrake antifreeze bottle. Close the valves on the gauge set and disconnect from the vacuum pump. Take that hose end, insert it in the bottle of airbrake antifreeze/dye and open the valves to pull some into the tanks. Be careful not to pull too much, i used maybe 1/4 of a quart bottle at max. Close valves once this has been accomplished.

Now connect that line to the regulator from the nitrogen tank. Open the nitrogen valve and adjust the regulator to around 100 PSI to start. Open valve on the gauge set and watch the system fill. Once I hit 100 psi I slowly increased regulator pressure until I had around 125 PSI showing on the regulator. Now reinstall your fuse and set the truck to normal ride height. As the suspension comes up the regulator will continue to maintain around 125 psi. Once the truck is at normal height you can turn it back off, turn off the valve on the tank and disconnect everything.

Now you've got a clean fill of nitrogen with some alcohol in the tanks to help dissipate any water as well as UV dye that you can see with a UV light if you're trying to find a leak. I've done this a couple times as I chased down leaks and my system appears to be sealed back up like new.

nkhagen

Dec 17, 2019
Truck Year
Like anything else, a little maintenance can work wonders. It's no different than any air system in a big rig except it is designed to be sealed until it gets low on pressure from a leak and FCA didn't bother to provide for that so I used some ingenuity and 25 years of wrenching to find my own solution. With AlphaOBD you can even purge the system better and match what a dealer charges thousands for. Besides, if I went spring ride I'd have to add air assist to get away with pulling my boat or camper around because both are ridiculously tongue heavy for a half ton truck to handle.