• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Airbags for towing

Firemedic54_9

Jun 21, 2019
Truck Year
Looking into some airbags or something to help with sag when I hook up the camper. What does everyone use or recommend. The camper is 6800lbs and tongue weight is 950lbs. I have looked at Sumó Springs and the airlift 5000. Any opinions on either?

Mando Michigan Mark

Aug 27, 2018
Truck Year
Looking into some airbags or something to help with sag when I hook up the camper. What does everyone use or recommend. The camper is 6800lbs and tongue weight is 950lbs. I have looked at Sumó Springs and the airlift 5000. Any opinions on either?
I have the Ram 1500 EcoDiesel, and installed the AirLift 1000. I have a 25 foot, 6300 lb. trailer and I only have to put about 25 lbs. (of 100 possible) in them to lift and stabilize the back end. Cost was about $80 on Amazon and I put them in myself in less than an hour.

VernDiesel

Mar 13, 2017
Truck Year
I transport TTs commercially with my ED. First you can adjust your WDH and loading to bring your per CAT scales tongue weight down to 12.0 or about 800 pounds. It’s just 150 pounds you don’t need to put on the back of the truck.

Like Luc-sko said Timber Groves. Their an excellent quality materials axle to frame setup much like the Airlift 5000 only for $350 with no cutting or drilling. Unlike the cheap in coil bags the fitting and bags don’t leak after short time and don’t need to be aired up prior to loading. They also require less psi so they dampen and control the suspension with no bounce.

The Airlift 5000 are last I looked into it just overpriced. Never used the Neoprene Springs but they would have to be better than the Timbren extended bump stop bags.

Mando Michigan Mark

Aug 27, 2018
Truck Year
I transport TTs commercially with my ED. First you can adjust your WDH and loading to bring your per CAT scales tongue weight down to 12.0 or about 800 pounds. It’s just 150 pounds you don’t need to put on the back of the truck.

Like Luc-sko said Timber Groves. Their an excellent quality materials axle to frame setup much like the Airlift 5000 only for $350 with no cutting or drilling. Unlike the cheap in coil bags the fitting and bags don’t leak after short time and don’t need to be aired up prior to loading. They also require less psi so they dampen and control the suspension with no bounce.

The Airlift 5000 are last I looked into it just overpriced. Never used the Neoprene Springs but they would have to be better than the Timbren extended bump stop bags.
Vern - I agree on the overpriced opinion on the Airlift 5000; local shop that installs them wanted just shy of $900 - said there is "...4 hours of labor to put them in; I don't know why, but that's what we quote." I've had the Airlift 1000 kit in for a couple of years; no leaks and (if you don't release some of the air) without a load, they sure make the truck ride like a lumber wagon! I've been happy with them for both towing and heavy loads of wood.

bob1340

Jun 29, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
AirLift 1000 and pump. You can also go with the TufSpring coils. 950 lbs of tongue weight is way too much for a 6800 lb trailer. Move some stuff around. I towed a 9,000 lb Keystone with my old Hemi 1500 equipted with TufSprings and 1000 bags. Worked great. But too much for a 1500 truck. Another great option is the Andersen hitch. Far superior to anything else I've ever used.

VernDiesel

Mar 13, 2017
Truck Year
I think the older style Airlift 5000 required cut & drill and more install time until they learned from TLC & Timber Groves that if it was designed a little differently that it wasn’t necessary.

950 is not crazy at 14 percent but redistributing 150 pounds off the drive axle back to the steer and TT axles would make it easier on the truck, hitch, and get some of the likely need weight back on the steers for more stability and stopping power.

9k TT is a lot on the 1/2 ton platform. Pretty much Maxes out everything drive axle, receiver, cvwr, gvwr. And if you had the old 5/6 speed transmission she didn’t like trying to accelerate up a hill either. Lol I took a 9,100 pound TT 1,000 miles & over 6 percent grades. Even with the 8 speed 3.92 & tune the lil ED pulled down to 52 mph on a long grade. Agreed I’ve had great luck with the Andersen WDH.

Hawaii_Built

Oct 16, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
Echoing the recommendation for Timber Grove air bags. The install was 100% bolt on and I was able to complete the installation in my driveway. The owner of Timber Grove is very responsive through e-mail and was able to give me feedback on questions I had very quickly. The bracketry and bags are very robust and of a high quality, no issues of fit or finish. They do ride a bit stiffer, but not overly stiff (this of course, is a subjective opinion).

bob1340

Jun 29, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
I may be looking into these Timber Groves. Looks like a great product. I'd assume the ride with minimum air in them would be close to stock. And I will have a 2"-3" drop coil in back. I wonder if they make shorter bags for this?

Mac

Jun 13, 2020
Truck Year
I’m just finishing installing the airlift 5000 bags right now. Evidently the older model (###70) that just got discontinued this year had some breakage issues, or so what I’ve been told. They would clamp on the old bumper housing, just had to bolt it on. This new model (###65) you need to remove the springs to gain access to cut off the bumper housing, grind it flat and paint it, then drill 3 holes into the frame for each new mounting bracket. Total pain in the ass to install, but doable. I think it took me a total of 7 hours to instal myself with a remote compressor.

Last edited:

Mac

Jun 13, 2020
Truck Year
Eh... scratch the 7 hours, more like 12. That was a pain in the ass...

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
I did the 1000hd to maintain factory ride. Took 2-3 hours. Most of that was taking fender liner out to get stem into fuel door. Been in for a year no problems to report

Reactions: Mac

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Another vote here for the Timber Groves. Oustanding quality, easy install and great customer service.