• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Anyone regret buying the Eco vs. Hemi or Cummins ?

Dave The Brick

Jul 24, 2016
Truck Year
I currently own a 2015 Laramie 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi. I have over 30,000 miles and haven't had a single issue. I just change the oil. I have the truck 13 months. I carry approximately 500 lbs of tools everyday and average 16.7 mpg ( highway/ city ) . On the highway I get 19-23 depending on how heavy I am on the throttle. My question is, does anyone regret buying the Eco diesel? Is it not fast enough? Do you miss your old truck ? I'm looking to buy a new ram and don't know if I should pick the Cummins, Eco or Hemi! Any info will help. I would love to use an Eco Diesel for a week to make sure I love it. Thanks Dave

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
I guess nobody does..... I'm not a good one to answer this question as I would never have bought a RAM if it weren't for this 3.0L VM diesel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Barry Mckeel

Apr 16, 2016
Truck Year
First RAM, averaged 26mpg on 7000+ mile west trip.Would have been better without their speed limits and 4 passengers . 80/85 doesn't do anything for mpg..

2016 Limited

Cliffy

Aug 16, 2015
Truck Year
I have had my '15 ED for about a year now, and put on about 60 000 Km. My overall fuel economy is 9.35 L/100km (30.2 mpg)

I had a 3.6L gas Ram before this and the best I ever did was about 10.6 L/100 Km (26.7 mpg). I don't have any concrete numbers but my guess is I averaged around 12 L/100 Km (23.5 mpg).

I am kinda happy with how much less fuel I had to pay for in this last year.

Stan Laurel

Aug 3, 2015
Truck Year
The ED engine is what made the difference for my first pickup purchase - nothing existed before it that gave a full sized truck the capability to be an economical commuter, family hauler, camper-puller and pack mule all in one package. The HD trucks wouldn't have worked for all four "modes", and I couldn't care less if I can't drag race another vehicle. My need for speed is satisfied in other ways. BUT - with 420 ft.lbs torque, she ain't exactly a slug.....

Dave The Brick

Jul 24, 2016
Truck Year
The ED engine is what made the difference for my first pickup purchase - nothing existed before it that gave a full sized truck the capability to be an economical commuter, family hauler, camper-puller and pack mule all in one package. The HD trucks wouldn't have worked for all four "modes", and I couldn't care less if I can't drag race another vehicle. My need for speed is satisfied in other ways. BUT - with 420 ft.lbs torque, she ain't exactly a slug.....
Thanks Stan

cevans

Nov 1, 2015
Truck Year
The only thing that would make me upgrade my ED to a Cummins is the available manual transmission. I'm still not loving this automatic thing, even though the 8-speed transmission is quite honestly flawless.

For what you are doing the ED sounds like a good option. Lots of miles, mostly with light loads. This isn't the truck for constant hauling or heavy load duty, but, as Stan noted, a truck for all "modes". The combination of economy, comfort and ease of driving really pushed me over the edge with this truck. I get in HD trucks and say "wow, I'm glad I'm not driving this every day."

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
To be completely honest I never once drove a hemi or Cummins. I thoroughly researched the ecodiesel when it became available found one loaded at a local dealership, drove it about 4 miles. (14m on the odometer. It was brand new) but I didn't want the granite crystal or black leather. Dealer wouldn't budge enough on the price or even throw in any Warranty so a month later I ordered through a dealership that provides a lifetime powertrain Warranty. 6 weeks later got delivery and now over a year and 30 some thousand miles I'm still happy.

I still have yet to drive a hemi or a Cummins. I've thought about the latter but I have no real need aside from payload for the capabilities of an hd truck.

I'm curious as to the others? yes. But regretful of my decision? Not even close. I'm not in the market for another truck and I'm not looking to jump behind the wheel of another.